Anyone using Shield Deluxe AntiVirus software?

Coaster2

Oct 9, 2008
Lotus Land
I'm looking for an opinion on Shield Deluxe AntiVirus software. I am considering dumping Norton AntiVirus due to its cumbersome and space-hogging nature. I would welcome an opinion from an experienced user.
thanks,
Coaster

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Go with AVG or NOD32. Both are proven antivirus products and they don't make a mess of your system like Norton & McAfee

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I agree... I currently use AVG Anti Virus..... it's free, it's less hogging as Norton, and I haven't had any major issues with either of my computers since I have been using it..... which has been about 3-4 years now.

If you want to spend your money AVG does have a more beefed up anti-virus you can buy, but the free one has been working well for me so far.

PIMP:

http://free.avg.com/

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I used to use AVG until it failed to detect three viruses which killed my laptop. I use the bit defender suite which has a two year licence and has done an outstanding job. It has found viruses AVG missed, for example, on my laptop HD backup.

jefff

Oct 4, 2010
I'm looking for an opinion on Shield Deluxe AntiVirus software. I am considering dumping Norton AntiVirus due to its cumbersome and space-hogging nature. I would welcome an opinion from an experienced user.
thanks,
Coaster

I have been dealing with anti virus software for over 20 years... I have used all of them and they all have their drawbacks and good points. I bought Sheild Deluxe in 2008 for 3 PCs probably for around $40 for a 2 year liscense. Today I renewed it for Sheild deluxe 2010, 5 user version which cost me $119.. However the 3 user version is considerably less, approx $49 , and the 1 user version alot less than that. In the prior 2 years that I used it, I never had a problem with a virus. It has done great !!! Like I said, they all have there pros and cons but for the price and the highly upgraded version of Sheild Delue 2010 you cannot ask for a better deal...

I want to add also, when I originally bought it I relied on PC magazines critique of the software.. The selected it as the best to get, peformance and price was the issue.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Whatever you do, DON'T get the paid subscription for AVG as it fails to detect all viruses and then refuses to pay for the fix up if you go to your dealer to correct the mess. It has happened to me and that's how I know.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I use Shield. I installed it on my new Windows 7 comp after checking online reviews. It seems fast and efficient and not too intrusive.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Go with AVG or NOD32. Both are proven antivirus products and they don't make a mess of your system like Norton & McAfee

Do we really need antivirus software? I've been without it for about a year now and my computer is about four or five times as fast
on the start up and it generally runs a lot faster. I try not to do any downloading unless I am very bloody sure of the site I'm downloading from. I suspect the main source of viruses is careless downloading.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I read that NOD 32 was great but it also could cause conflicts on your system. Cannot remember what those were. went with Kapersky - Norton sucked

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Finally dumped Shield. It was giving me too many false messages such as claiming that a virus scan had never been run and that it had never been updated. I went with Kaspersky after reading good reviews of it on the net. It seems to work well so far. However, I also downloadedf a free antivirus scan that is aimed at eliminating spyware. It is called Malwarebytes ans is a free download. It only runs when it is activated so it does not interfere with the other programs. First time I ran it; it came up with about 20 spyware programs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Finally dumped Shield. It was giving me too many false messages such as claiming that a virus scan had never been run and that it had never been updated. I went with Kaspersky after reading good reviews of it on the net. It seems to work well so far. However, I also downloadedf a free antivirus scan that is aimed at eliminating spyware. It is called Malwarebytes ans is a free download. It only runs when it is activated so it does not interfere with the other programs. First time I ran it; it came up with about 20 spyware programs.
Me said
The freebie windows essentials job does just fine. Download malwarebytes and run that from time to time.