Ubuntu v. Microsoft

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Wow. What can I say? I actually had a chance to work on Vista. Really! Since the hard disk in my work laptop died, I was given another portable pre-installed with Windows Vista.

What an experience. It's an HP dual core 1.9GHz 2G laptop with an nVidia graphics card. It should fly, right? Well, it flew about as gracefully as a turtle on it's back in the middle of the highway.

For comparison, I'm currently writing this blog from an older Gateway machine running on an AMD Turion 64 (single core), 1G of RAM with a Radeon XPress 200M. running (for now) Ubuntu 7.10.

However, back to Vista. For starters, after I had booted, the machine was already sucking up >700MB of ram. That leaves less than 1.3G to run my applications. That's not overly bad, since I've go to 2G on the HP, but my Gateway has only 1G. So, forget about running Vista on it. In Ubuntu, running the Gnome desktop with Compiz, Apache, MySQL, Firefox 2, Thunderbird and a system update, I'm not quite at the 475MB watermark.

I've heard a lot of folks complain about the performance of Vista. I finally had a chance to experience this first hand. Yuk! Is it ever SLOW. I could not even drag a window without the system studdering. Furthermore, I got kind notification from Norton Anti-Virus that my subscription was expired, and I should renew. What's that about my credit card number? I forgot what it's like to run an OS where you need an anti-virus. Let's not get into the endless array of continual popups.

Here's my first major gripe: No package manager. HP installed tons of crap on the laptop, including a (I would assume) redundant wireless connection manager, a trial version of Norton, tons of little application that are — supposedly — there to improve the user experience, and god knows what else. Time to clean the system!

I crack open the Add/Remove program, click on the first application, hold down control, and click on the next. Guess what? You can't! In Windows, you can only uninstall a single application at a time. Furthermore, it takes forever to remove the tiniest of application. Oh, and let's not get into the reboots. Remember, I'm cleaning this up because I need to get some work done. How much fun is it when all of a sudden, all your windows starts to close one after an other, and the machine reboots. Oh, I just love it when my operating system controls me. Sure! I love being a slave to the machine. Kiss your freedom goodbye.

On the other hand, I want to upgrade my Eee PC to Ubuntu 8.04. Unfortunately, I lacked disk space. No problem. I cracked open Synaptic package manager, selected a number of application for uninstallation, clicked Apply, and waited while the applications were removed. By the time the applications were removed, Windows Vista had finished booting, and was almost at the desktop. Of course, that was just one of the many reboots I had to do with Vista. None so far on the Eee PC!

Vista is slow. I asked one of my Windows Guru how I could turn off Areo. After digging around a bit, my guru showed me the option where I could chose the Windows Basic theme instead of Areo. What a difference this makes!!! I can move my Windows without feeling like the system is about to go into terminal shock. Here, on my Gateway, I've got Compiz working with the wobbly windows and all the fun graphic effects. It works great — smooth as silk. Oh, and the Gateway is Windows Vista Capable. Not Ready, which means that Areo would not even work on the machine. My Eee PC is running eeeXubuntu with Compiz as well. It's pretty!

As a last point, one of my coworker asked about an 'upgrade path' from Vista Home to Vista Premium. He needed to upgrade Vista so he could run SQL Server Reporting Services (if I'm not mistaken). The software does not run on Windows Home. Not because Windows Home is incapable of running it, but because Microsoft thinks you should not. That is why I love free software. I come from a country that enjoys freedom of expression, movement, religion, etc. I cannot imagine myself relinquishing any of those fundamental freedoms for any price. It's the same thing with software.

I'm a free person. I refuse to pay for proprietary software that limits your freedom when there are perfectly good (better!) free solution out there.

In closing, my Eee PC quietly upgraded to Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04). One reboot was all it took. I then reinstalled whatever applications I had removed. No reboots. Everything works. Don't you wish it was the same in Windows? (To be fair, the wireless card did not come back up. But it took two minutes of googling, and found a simple solution)

While I'm writing this on my Windows-Vista-Incapable Gateway laptop running Ubuntu 7.10, I'm upgrading to Hardy Heron. Can you work on your machine while you are upgrading your Windows version?

If the answer is no, I would then ask you: why not?

Oh, and you paid how much for Windows Vista? And that does not even include an office suite???

<SHOCK>!!!!</SHOCK>

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
free eh........ have you, by chance, dug into your pocket and contibuted anything to the developers of this "free" software? Or do you think they spend hours and hours coding just for fun so that you can bash microsoft and enjoy "free" software?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
free eh........ have you, by chance, dug into your pocket and contibuted anything to the developers of this "free" software? Or do you think they spend hours and hours coding just for fun so that you can bash microsoft and enjoy "free" software?
Not a penny.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

If you find a piece of software that you really like, then why would you not want to pay something for it? People have spent hous, days,weeks, or more of their time developing this software for you to use. Is that not worth something when they develop something that is of use to you? Or would you like to see Ubuntu go the same route as Red Hat?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Or do you think they spend hours and hours coding just for fun so that you can bash microsoft and enjoy "free" software?
Actually that is just what some of them do. Most are just fanatic hobbyists.
That the latest version is up on all the newest hardware is a plus for Linux distributions, XP couldn't even read SATA drives in the early releases.
Seems there is always one program that just doesn't run on Linux, today that is veoh (at least for me) Great documentaries so keeping both in working order is the way I run my netbook.

Red Hat and similar releases do have corporate releases that should be purchased rather than using the free edition. Tech support being one important reason.(plus deductions well below corporate MS editions) Most programs that anybody would need for any computer use can be had legally for free.
If not, I'm sure you could hire somebody to help you develop one that doesn't yet exist, but then what?? There are programs that are highly specific and do need to be purchased, a rarity in most cases.

The free editions are just that, free. Support comes from other users that have encountered the same problem. They are the 'testers' for the coders, as are the ones who run the latest versions. The bug reports help them 'fine-tune' the upgrades. A system that is running 7.10 never needs to be upgraded unless new hardware is added that is not recognized. If it isn't broken..don't fix-it.

Last edited: