technos up front......

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
in layman's terms what is the deal with hdtv i.e., can your current tv be adapted or do you need a true hi-def tv , i have asked around and have seen some hd and the picture imho is no better than my 4 year old sylvannia and i'm 100% digital/dual satellite and pvr (expressvu), will this change next february or is this another technology grab, i'd like your input as i am sure others would...
thx, scratch
:?::?::?::?::?:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
back when HDTV was new, there was a thread about it here, and I posted the following, which summarizes my feelings on the matter:

newsflash!

There has been a technological advancement to the television industry, the like of which the world has never seen before!

The new technology, christened "Slightly Higher Definition TV" or SHDTV, is reputed to be the biggest breakthrough in TV since Mrs Prince down the road discovered that her remote wasnt working because the batteries were dead.

The industry has proved incredibly popular because the consumers were told that it was and they all went out to buy an SHDTV set and an SHDTV-DVD, for the minimal cost of both their eyeballs, plus $50 a minute charge for the extra-high bandwidth the cable companies use to send the subliminal advertising through the cable.

Mr Simpson of park road said "It's amazing to see the difference! When i switched it on for the first time I realised what I had been missing all that time" then he walked off with a wad of cash he'd been given by the advertising companies.

It is expected that by 2010, everyone will have been forced to buy SHDTV because all the reasonably priced products will have been forced into obsolescence by the greedy bastards who sell this ****.

watch out for the next great advancement! It's expected to come soon and will involve a miniscule difference in quality and cost a massive amount to upgrade to!!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you took me to separate rooms on separate days, and had me look at two different tv's, I probably couldn't tell you which was HD. My old tube tv is fine for my viewing needs.

I can pick out the difference side by side, but I could really care less.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The older style (4:3) will be nothing more than paper weights, you might get sound but there won't be any picture.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The older style (4:3) will be nothing more than paper weights, you might get sound but there won't be any picture.

and why? because HDTV is better for mankind and so we all have to change over because it's good for us and the earth as a whole? or because some fat git wants to get rich through forced obsolescence?

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Careful Herm..... someone's going to call you a bitter old man....;)

The "superiority" of plastic shopping bags (where a few made millions) turned shoppers into disposability-freaks. The whole notion of "disposability" has served us all soooooo well hasn't it!?

Milk bottles are reuseable...but hey of course you'd have to pay someone to pick up the bottles and replace them with bottles full of milk.... and of course that someone would need a vehicle to carry the product ....so it makes a lot more sense to cut down trees and manufacture disposable milk containers that are then stuffed into land-fills....progress dontcha know!

The list is nearly endless when you consider the damage that the "disposable mentality" has wrecked on this planet and yet it seems our appetites to be dictated to about everything from what kind of TV signal to what kind of toilet paper and other "disposable commodities" serve our best interests... (which actually serve the interests of the wealthy and the twisted social system that keeps the wealthy in power... Upgrade from Windows to Microsoft Vista....what a champion of ecological prudence is this Bill Gates moron!

It's the world as conditioned into the minds of the feeble thinkers that populate the "marketplace"....