All my Sound is gone!

jellyfarm

Electoral Member
I need techno help for my PC desperately...:(

A couple of days ago, I installed SKYPE on my PC and adjusted some sound settings because I couldn't hear myself on my microphone and after that my entire sound devices have gone missing including the loudhailer icon that's on the bottom right hand corner of my PC. Waaah!

Can anyone help?

I've since run a diagnostic on it, checked my device managers and even did a defragmentation on it but I can't seem to retrieve it. I used the normal Windows XP audio device which is the 'Sigma Audio Tel' but now all the fields and options are grayed out, I can't even change or restore it back.

Should I just restore my computer to last month's settings to retrieve my sound back? I can't watch any You Tube videos or play DVDs on it!:-? It's frustrating! LOL!

SOS!!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I need techno help for my PC desperately...:(

A couple of days ago, I installed SKYPE on my PC and adjusted some sound settings because I couldn't hear myself on my microphone and after that my entire sound devices have gone missing including the loudhailer icon that's on the bottom right hand corner of my PC. Waaah!

Can anyone help?

I've since run a diagnostic on it, checked my device managers and even did a defragmentation on it but I can't seem to retrieve it. I used the normal Windows XP audio device which is the 'Sigma Audio Tel' but now all the fields and options are grayed out, I can't even change or restore it back.

Should I just restore my computer to last month's settings to retrieve my sound back? I can't watch any You Tube videos or play DVDs on it!:-? It's frustrating! LOL!

SOS!!

Does clicking 'Control Panel' then 'Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices' do anything?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Do you have the CD(or DVD) of the program that you had for your Sound Card? Perhaps you could try reinstalling it?

How about uninstalling Skype? That might help, as there could be a conflict with another piece of your software/hardware.

Gitaboo Radley

Mar 14, 2008
Canadian Rockies
If all else fails, System Restore might be the way to go. Sound/audio seems to be the only source of my frustrations on my laptop. I purchased a Dell laptop recently with the non-optional Vista (UGH) and a Sigmatel sound card. Vista is not compatible with yahoo messenger so I immediately had to get a CODEC in order to have sound. I am wondering if the new SKYPE might need a CODEC in order to have sound working too. Sorry to digress, but I am thoroughly disappointed with my Visa/Sigmatel set up because I can no longer play music through my soundcard in Yahoo Messenger! Argh! But back to your issue...System Restore.

Cheers.

jellyfarm

Electoral Member
That's what I did a couple of minutes ago, and now my entire PC has gone kaput...Luckily I was given the option to get Vista or XP when I bought it last year so I chose XP instead because Vista was so unstable and not user-friendly at the time. Not sure if they've managed to iron out the bugs. But I'm an Apple person and luckily for me also my lappie is a MacBook and the new Leopard that I have in this is very stable and had no problems.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That's what I did a couple of minutes ago, and now my entire PC has gone kaput...Luckily I was given the option to get Vista or XP when I bought it last year so I chose XP instead because Vista was so unstable and not user-friendly at the time. Not sure if they've managed to iron out the bugs. But I'm an Apple person and luckily for me also my lappie is a MacBook and the new Leopard that I have in this is very stable and had no problems.

Perhaps you have a virus, jelly. I hope you are able to fix your computer.:-(

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
It's not you Lester.

"Unable to connect,

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 218.111.37.135:8000.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."