MS Access - can anyone help?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
soooo this is what it looks like in the technology forum... I don't stop by here often, the regulars would laugh me outta the joint... but I'm here to beg for help...

I've got an MS Access data base I'm working on. All I need now is a form. Simple, right? uh uh. I've got 3 tables I'm working with - 2 of those tables I've managed to incorporate as subforms into a main form. I only want a single record from each sub-form to show on the main form at a time. I can select the record I want on each sub form to show on the main form, and in screen view everything looks just fine. In print preview though, the subforms are showing all the records instead of just the ones I want. I've checked the properties and they're set to 'single form' on each subform, I've checked the sections on each form to make sure it's set to force a new page within the form before and after each section.... but nothing's working.... how do I get the print view to show the same thing?

aaaaargh!!

I've been at it for the better part of the day and night, and I can't seem to figure this last little glitch out. The last time I had to do this, I had to download some kind of dll file to add to the database, but I can't remember where I got that info or how to do it.

I'm on a timeline with this, so if anyone's able and/or willing to help, it'll sure be appreciated....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I never come in here Zan.

You lost me after the "MS Access Base"

Sorry

Just heard the cry for help, but found I was of no use. Lemme know if you have a flat or something tactile I can relate to, ok? Shimmin a cupboard like.

;-)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
no, that's the beotch of it... I surfed around a bunch of Office forums and someone linked me to it, but I didn't keep the info. I'm wondering if I can copy it from the first data base and try and add it to this one.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
the thing with dll's is that you usually have to register them with the PC.
for example

Start-run-cmd

regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx>

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
yi - thanks Durka, it would help if I could remember what I needed that dll file for - I think it was something different to do with getting the scroll bars to work properly.

I'm also no sure that's the problem, because in screen view I can scroll the record selections no problem... it's only a problem in print view - and now one of the sub forms isn't even showing up in print view - the second subform seems to have obliterated it - and it's borders stretch several pages wide... which isn't what the properties is set for. It's possessed I tells ya!
Anyway, I have to take what I've got and head to work, I'll check in later for more tips hopefully...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Zan
Do you currently have "MS Office" on your computer? If you don't it might be a good idea to download "Open Office". I think it will provide all you need in the way of forms and tables. Just Google "Open Office download". It's free.

Sorry I missed that you had MS Access somehow....Ignore my post.....

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
bah - I had to redo the whole thing, and my table links never did work properly... I finally ended up with something that was crudely usable, but not what I was aiming for.

My next adventure will be on Tuesday - I'm attending a workshop on MS Offfice 2007 - apparently there's enough issues in using the newer version of Office with files created with previous versions to warrant a professional development seminar on the subject... I hope to pick the instructor's brain to see where I went wrong... this may lead to a total Zan meltdown. I've no problem using a data base but designing them to do more than the simplest of tasks should be left to someone else.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Good idea to attend the seminar. Coming away from that you'll know a lot more than just about everyone.