Turn a flashlight into a handheld burning laser

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think I might consider building one of these, I have about 5-6 cd/dvd roms I could dismantle to facilitate building one.

Video instructions@URL

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/turn-a-flashlight-into-a-handheld-burning-laser-287252.php

Turn a flashlight into a handheld burning laser

DIYer Kipkay extracts the laser from a DVD burner and mounts it in a small flashlight to create a handheld laser burner that can light matches and burst balloons. Hit the play button to see how he did it. This project isn't for the faint of heart: it involves pretty specialized components and soldering, but that'll all be worth it when you're camping with your pals and you start the fire by pointing your homemade handheld laser at the tinder. For more info, Kip posted the laser mod over at Instructables, too. UPDATE: Several readers rightly point out that your burning handheld laser could pose a safety risk to humans, especially when pointed at eyeballs. Watch your kids, proceed at your own risk, treat as you would a weapon, etc. Thank you.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
seriously dude, be CAREFUL

I know you're an intelligent fellow but doing this can easily make one of your retinae explode.

I once read a report of someone who was working on a laser setup with an invisible laser, thought it was off, and peered at one of the components, which reflected the beam straight ino his eye. Apparently he felt a small pop and couldnt see anything in that eye. they took him to hospital and he's regained some eyesight but can always see little floating bits of his own retina floating about in the vitreous humour

having said that, yeah it sounds like a laugh!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a sign in my son's lab that says,"Don't look into laser with remaining eye". Seems appropriate....:lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What happens when you up the power to say 6 volts?
Can you ignite a plastic lighter?
Are these allowed on airplanes?

Discovery leads to so many questions.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I read a blog by a fellow who said the one he made with 3.5V could ignite matches and burn through plastic.

I'd very strongly advise NOT attempting to take one on a plane. Small hand-made electronic devices tend to be rather unpopular with customs and airport security people.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
I think that would likely burn out the diode.
What you want to do is make an array of four diodes and connect to a 12V car battery.
Using the threaded sleeve on the mag light (a bigger model) to focus the array on a single spot will quadruple the intensity.

Don't try it at home, kiddies!

Muz

What happens when you up the power to say 6 volts?
Can you ignite a plastic lighter?
Are these allowed on airplanes?

Discovery leads to so many questions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Boys and their toys.

It's no wonder so many men end up dead or maimed over stupid little experiments and games.

Constantly needing more... more speed, more power, more risk. And it blows up in their face, or their eyeball in some cases.

Why we center our families around such ridiculously high risk creatures is beyond me. I need to go find me a good wife.