How to record video tape into an online file

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
I have a VHS tape that I need to copy as a file that can be viewed online, what is the best way to do that?
The DVD player in the house can't record so the video player has to be connected to a computer first of all I suppose.
Cheers in advance.

I've never done it myself, but I would imagine you need a video capture card on your computer. The card should come with some software to capture video. All you need to do is hook up the video and audio outputs from your vcr to the video and audio inputs of the card. The software should have some instructions on how to capture video and record it to your hard drive.

You probably need something like this:
http://www.anitec.ca/product/2576/hauppauge_wintv_pvr_350_pci_tv_tunerorcapture_card/

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Depends on what you capture card uses to import video. RCA cables are pretty common as well as coax cable. If you have Svideo cable, that is better and better still would be an optical cable. All dependant on what your capture card will accept.

I've transfered hours of video from tape to digital and it's not difficult, but as mentioned you need the gear and software to do it. If that is a hassle, it's not very expensive to have it done by someone. Then you have a hard copy on CD or DVD.