Scanning Files before downloading?

Csknight

Mar 8, 2007
Are you able to do that? I heard you can right click the file and I tried but there was no scan with anti virus. Do I have to add it to my computer then scan it?

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
To scan a file before it gets to your computer a virus scanning program would have to run on another computer (your Internet Service Provider’s server for example). It would also have to use the anti-virus software on the server rather than the anti-virus package on your computer. And, for scans of individual files upon demand, the scanning software on your service provider’s server would have to accept commands from your computer. The server’s scanning software would also have to keep track of all the pieces of the file requested. A file that you receive may never exist as an individual file on the serve before the transmission to your computer starts. Anyway, it would be a complex thing to do but I suppose possible, although I haven’t heard of a similar commercial service.

It would be far easier to just scan all data before it is transmitted to your computer, and
many Internet service companies provide such a service (usually for an extra charge). Most standard anti-virus packages also scan incoming data for virus and other threats.