Microsoft - Why do so many people worship blindly

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Microsoft is like a huge religious faith. People blindly follow after all of its saying before they ever spend an ounce of their own will researching it. Why?

I wonder how many people actually have a real, honest and decent reason for defending a company like microsoft on such blind faith? What do you gain by it? Is microsoft secretly paying your bills?

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html All of the information in this article has been available to the entire world for quite some time, this article has done a great job of bringing everything into one place. Will people read such an article?

Most of the time no. Can someone please explain that to me?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So Microsoft is like a huge religous faith, it would be fair to say that Linux is sort of like a Cult? There are just as many blind followers to Linux as there is to Microsoft.

How can you get so worked up about an operating system anyways? It's code, nothing else.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

yeah its code...lousy code.

Every time I do an update I get reams and reams of fixes and patches....

And I'd disagree that it's merely "code"...

Microscrew has enjoyed establishing the parameters for computer manufacturers and the necessity for constant upgrading to more memory and faster processors....

To imagine that it was the "demand" of the average Joe or Jane that led to enormous hard drives and ever-increasing money spent on faster machines is missing the actual intent behind Gates and the Microsoft Empire...

Dedicated processors do the job much better for gaming and in fact video editing, but Microsoft has followed the "do everything half-arsed" and you sell more equipment and consequently more operating systems...

No quality just scads of quantity...

It's an American thing....

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Dedicated gaming processors (PS3, XBOX etc) are always a generation or two behind what a PC can do gaming wise. Also, certain genres of games are not suited for consoles, namely online FPS's, MORP's, Turn based strategy.

I'm not trying to defend Microsoft in regards to to their business practises, sloppy code etc. Linux evangelists with their holier then thou attitude is getting pretty stale though. I have installed and ran multiple distros of Linux, if you like to tinker and use your machine for crunching raw data, it's great imo. I use Windows operating systems for a specific reason :

1. Gaming. Linux sucks horribly for gaming. You cannot dispute that and that will not change for a long time.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Dedicated gaming processors (PS3, XBOX etc) are always a generation or two behind what a PC can do gaming wise. Also, certain genres of games are not suited for consoles, namely online FPS's, MORP's, Turn based strategy.

I'm not trying to defend Microsoft in regards to to their business practises, sloppy code etc. Linux evangelists with their holier then thou attitude is getting pretty stale though. I have installed and ran multiple distros of Linux, if you like to tinker and use your machine for crunching raw data, it's great imo. I use Windows operating systems for a specific reason :

1. Gaming. Linux sucks horribly for gaming. You cannot dispute that and that will not change for a long time.

When the XBOX 360 came out it had the best graphics card in the world installed in it. My colleagues were even discussing the possibility of creating a Beowulf cluster of them and using them to do some physics computations, the cpu itself was excellent as well. Nevertheless we didn't do it because of the nightmare of installing linux on them and lack of a coherent API without paying Microsoft for programming rights.

So consoles are fast becoming the icon of gaming, the fact that only the Wii doesn't subsidize its technology means that you can also get better games playing technology for your dollar on a console. But where is the love? Those little boxes only play games, good games mind you, but games alone.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

Dedicated processors don't claim the flood of merchandising and comfort of billions of dollars of income generated by saturating the marketplace with operating systems that a two year college graduate can hack...

I come from the dark ages of DOS and at least back then you had control over your system...not something you have with newer Windows products.

I don't "game" so I can't address that issue as it might be...but I do word processing and fianances...don't own a video camera and have no need for a great many services and bells and whistles as the new Windows environment provides...

It's a scam Durka....

Make an operating system that manages the basics...word processing and mathematics relatively well then seed the marketplace with the "need" for video digital and sound devices that can be "Effortlessly and Flawlessly ...hooked into the PC...

You're in a much better position to know the facts than I, but what percentage of the newer operating systems "advances" does the average person really utilize or need for that matter?

I have a scanner I can e-mail pictures and I have a computer I built five years ago that's still working fine for what I do...

What do I gain by spending the extra dollars for bells and whistles I don't want or need ...but then again, when the markeplace becomes saturated with bigger faster machines...don't I end up subsidizing all those aspiring movie makers and musicians out there who cry the blues when they can't do "green screen" on their PC's?

Marketing....nothing more...

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
When the XBOX 360 came out it had the best graphics card in the world installed in it. My colleagues were even discussing the possibility of creating a Beowulf cluster of them and using them to do some physics computations, the cpu itself was excellent as well. Nevertheless we didn't do it because of the nightmare of installing linux on them and lack of a coherent API without paying Microsoft for programming rights.

So consoles are fast becoming the icon of gaming, the fact that only the Wii doesn't subsidize its technology means that you can also get better games playing technology for your dollar on a console. But where is the love? Those little boxes only play games, good games mind you, but games alone.

Yes, the 360 gpu was based on the ATI x1900 core. It is a fast gpu, but it is last generation DirectX9. Don't get me wrong, I like consoles. I have a 360, it's a great machine. Except for the fact that I had to send mine back to microsft due to it overheating and cooking the cpu on it.

The Wii is a cool little machine, Nintendo has taken a different approach with this console and it seems to be paying off.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Mikey,

In regards to OS advances, there is nothing really revolutionary with Vista, it is still based on Windows2K code and they have added some additional security BS and a 3D accelerated GUI. There is nothing in Vista that would be considered a "must have" for average pc users in my opinion.

I don't hold any paerticular allegiance to Microsoft, if Linux all of a sudden was able to offer a gaming platform comparable to windows I would probably be using both OS's. I have experimented with dual boot systems and it just got to be a pain in the ass.. I never had any real reason to boot linux up.

allen_p

Nominee Member
Feb 4, 2007
Nothing could be wrong.
People unknowingly exercise the right of choice/freedom of use of TOOL.

Computers are here to serve - doesnt matter what tool you use to get a task done. But freedom has got to be there.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Run a network of people who don't own the computers or care if they mess everything up and permanently destroy irreplacable and critical business information, but do need it to do their job.

You will not run Linux, even if they were already trained. Its like giving someone safety scissors true, but sometimes its more important people not screw things up than be efficient.

Iam very familiar with Linux and Windows, have dual boot system and work designing small business software, I would never recommend letting anyone but a manager on a Linux system that has any importance to the business.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Things have been going downhill ever since AT&T decided to squash the Berkley kernel. Microsoft is proof positive the consumer is not the rational creature the textbooks make her out to be.

An oldie but a goodie...

Windows 95 - "32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition".

I can't believe the rat bastards actually managed to catch up with the hardware.

allen_p

Nominee Member
Feb 4, 2007
I dunno,
Depends how a given information is used to reach a decision - I belv the main prompting factor was ECONOMICS/ECONOMIES of comptetion , which in given case was Apple/Mac. Apple lost market primarilty due to cost factor.

Microsoft on the other hand - played on cost dynamics - So, In my opinion - People always go in go in for cheap solutions evn though It might cost them (Be it money,productivity,lost markets /oppotunity etc) - People will opt for Windows.

People may not deduce facts logically as well - Say Why did MS rewrite Vista at a whooping cost ? - Why not dive in and analyze - Was given software not worthy - wast it that patchy that it could not be patched more ? what about people who are still running Windows XP or older versions ?
But to sum it all : People will opt for cheaper solutions (Not cost effective). But now MS has good market share derived from Sales of earlier windows - This market can again be sold the given VISTA concept without explaining or giving any reasons for need(s).

Tweek

Mar 21, 2007
I tend to defend Microsoft but these days I am biased. They do pay my bills. At home I run Vista on my desktop and a hacked together version of Ubuntu on my laptop. My workstation is Vista Business.

That being said, for the average user, I have never seen a compelling reason to switch to the alternatives. I can come up with a few reasons against each platform though, with OSX being a great alternative for someone who has never ran a windows machine, and Linux being just simply not ready for desktop use.