Vinod Sharma -: Powered with Linux

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vin I don't have or no anything about Linux, or I'd be chatting.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Web design, I'm not sure if one or the other makes a difference. I'm trying to code a web script in php that requires a call to a mysql database but would need a drop down menu with different variables. Is that something you have expertise in?

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Well, there are a couple of options - say - Javascript menu/Pure CSS menu etc.
It can be done - but its gonna take some effort since you will need to put in check for number of elements picked from database and then populating local variables with that(Offbeat - thats the reason static menus are preferred).

So a generic solution would be - using array and then fetching data from database and assigning values.

There are couple of drawbacks for this DYNAMIC approach -

1. Response time / delay is more then static content
2. Number of elements and their type needs to be checked
3. memory required varies as compared to static content
4. Server load increases ( Both in terms on content fetch and send , if data is more)

ALternate solution if feasable is to use AJAX where only required/related parts are updated/refreshed/fetched on need basis - resulting in efficient solution/code.

But if its a small project where in you are simply taking a few variables /configuration parameters - gievn approach may work. But again - it requires effort, which can be easily downloaded from a few websites free.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well, there are a couple of options - say - Javascript menu/Pure CSS menu etc.
It can be done - but its gonna take some effort since you will need to put in check for number of elements picked from database and then populating local variables with that(Offbeat - thats the reason static menus are preferred).

So a generic solution would be - using array and then fetching data from database and assigning values.

There are couple of drawbacks for this DYNAMIC approach -

1. Response time / delay is more then static content
2. Number of elements and their type needs to be checked
3. memory required varies as compared to static content
4. Server load increases ( Both in terms on content fetch and send , if data is more)

ALternate solution if feasable is to use AJAX where only required/related parts are updated/refreshed/fetched on need basis - resulting in efficient solution/code.

But if its a small project where in you are simply taking a few variables /configuration parameters - gievn approach may work. But again - it requires effort, which can be easily downloaded from a few websites free.
I have looked around and don't see one like this. I have so many different whereas statements needed in the desired script that it isn't easy to find examples let alone one that puts it into a drop down javascript menu.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Disable 8.3 Name Creation in NTFS

Files that use the 8.3 naming convention can degrade NTFS drive performance.
Unless you have a good reason for keeping the 8.3 naming convention
intact (such as if you’re using 16-bit programs), a performance gain can
be achieved by disabling it.
Set the Registry​
DWORD key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
to 1. Exit the Registry
and reboo