Linux -: The Future Power

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Dear Gilbert

Linux is such a safe and beutiful Operating system and its pretty easy to use it has mainly two famouse environment 1. Gnome and 2. KDE.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Linux just isn't practical as a desktop OS for most computer users. Linux users are usually highly technical people, not the average Joe who uses his computer to browse the web and check e-mails etc.

I have run a few distributions of Linux (slackware, red hat, Suse) and I am of the opinion that Linux is not ready for prime time OS. Reasons being:

1. Hardware drivers.
2. Software dependencies. Can you imagine a regular home user having to install GTK in order to run GIMP?
3. Desktop compliance. Applications that are coded for GNOME do not necessarily work for KDE.
4. Games. 3D accelerated game for linux are non-existent more or less. Also, the drivers ATI and NVIDIA supply are crap. Without native support for DirectX, Linux will never be a serious gaming platform.
5. File sharing, I can setup network share folders in seconds, on Linux you have to configure Samba, which can be a pain in the ass.

Linux is great for servers due to reliability and a great wealth of open srouce software (MySQL, Apache, PHP etc) for a home user though, the benefits are noticably lacking.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
If linux were to become more commonly written-for, a little more user friendly maybe, i'd go right out and buy it. one reason for that:

It's not F***ING Micro$hite

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If linux were to become more commonly written-for, a little more user friendly maybe, i'd go right out and buy it. one reason for that:

It's not F***ING Micro$hite

Another thing with Linux is, if you want to watch a DVD, you cannot legally. The entertainment industry does not approve of Linux, therefor you have to crack the encrpytion in order to view, breaking a few laws along the way.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
a metaphor just occurred to me:

When offered with the choice of unscrewing a screw with a knife or walking 3000 miles to get a screwdriver which has been filed blunt by the owner of the knife, which would you use?

oldmountie

Jan 29, 2007
I am running Suse 10 on a SATA Drive with no problems. I don't know if your specific drive will cause any problems.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Oracle Unbreakable Linux is a support program that provides enterprises with industry-leading global support for Linux. For less than half the cost, Oracle's Basic Support is equivalent to Red Hat's best service level. And Oracle's Premier Support provides the same level of enterprise-class support that Oracle provides for its database product.

Oracle Unbreakable Linux support customers also have free access to the Oracle Management Pack for Linux, which delivers comprehensive provisioning, patching, monitoring and administration capabilities.