Choosing a University for Computer Science

DigitalRain

Jun 18, 2006
Prince Edward Island
Hello. I'm considering attening a university in a year or two to take a computer science program. I'd like your input as to which Canadian universities would be good for this program.

I've recently graduated from a two-year college program in Computer Engineering Technology. I'd like to supplement what I learned there with the standard fare of programming languages (for general know-how only, I'm not looking to become a programmer), plus the following subjects.

I'd like to be able to learn about Linux (more than just an overview) and Unix. It would be nice if the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) course was available there, though I'm not sure if that's available at universities or only at colleges. I'd also like to learn about Oracle, MySQL and similar.

edit: I'm also interested in web programming: php, perl, asp, etc.

I haven't done much research on this yet, as I'm really not sure where to start. Your thoughts are appreciated.

DigitalRain

Jun 18, 2006
Prince Edward Island
RE: Choosing a University

I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada currently. I'd like to leave the Island both to see and experience a different part of this country. Since I'm interested in attending a university, I thought I would do this in another part of Canada.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
I was to the University of Waterloo. The Computer Science program there is second to none. They have a co-op program (you go to school for a term, work for a term, ...) by the time your are finished you should have two years relevant experience and a degree. The work term also help to reduce the loans you may require to get through.

Pick up a copy of Macleans magazine with university rankings.

They have a University Research Tool online http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20060614_144614_6444

DigitalRain

Jun 18, 2006
Prince Edward Island

Thanks for that link. It gave me a good place to start my research.

Since you posted, I've been examining various options and realized that there aren't any universities which offer Cisco curriculum, and most seem to have very few networking classes of any sort.

I'm going to have to re-examine what I hope to get out of university, but I haven't given up on it, so any further suggestions are still appreciated.

DigitalRain

Jun 18, 2006
Prince Edward Island

After all of your help, I think I've come to the conclusion that Computer Science isn't right for me.

I'll have figure out what I'm going to do from here.

I'm going to stop watching this thread, now. Thanks for your input.