Should a person be legally required to register a prepaid smart device?

Should a person be legally required to register a prepaid smart device?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Given how easily one could anonymously buy a smartphone and a SIM card and then pay with cash or an anonymously purchased prepaid credit card, it would seem that the law has allowed a gaping loophole in which organized crime can operate.

That said, some want to defend anonymity not for criminal reasons but simply because they appreciate their privacy. Others might legitimately worry about how such a law could prevent a poor person without ID from accessing a phone that he might need for job interviews among other things. Yet others might worry that such a law could led to wrongful convictions.

I can see a few solutions to these dilemmas.

Firstly, we could require a person to register a prepaid smart device (such as a smartphone, a tablet, or any other device that can access the internet). This would mean that since one would not need to register a prepaid feature phone (aka dumb phone) or other device that does not give him internet access and would not need to register a prepaid SIM card either, any person who truly wants to maintain his privacy would still have the option of buying a prepaid feature phone and SIM card. Since such devices have no internet access though, the range of crimes that can be committed using them would be much more limited than those that can be committed through internet access.

Secondly, we could allow a person to register a prepaid smart device in one of three ways:

1. By presenting valid photo ID.

2. By providing his fingerprints.

3. By providing a passport-quality picture of himself.

While such a policy would still allow many loopholes (for example, by having a criminal limit himself to unregistered prepaid feature phones and SIM cards and, at least until attrition takes its toll, by buying second-hand smartphones to anonymously access the internet, and allowing a criminal whose fingerprints the police does not have access to to register his phone under a false name using his fingerprints), it would still help the police in at least some cases and make criminals' jobs at least somewhat more difficult than they are now.

I know that terrorism is not a common occurrence, but such a law could still help to make it even less so.

As for the concern over wrongful convictions, a simple solution would be to make the registration of a prepaid device inadmissible as proof at a hearing. This would mean that while such a database could help police in a criminal investigation by providing them with tips, the police would still need to then collect other proof beyond simple registration to ensure that the crime was not committed on a lost, stolen, or cloned phone or on a phone that might have been given to someone as a gift, etc.

In spite of the extreme limitations and loopholes of such a law, it would still provide the police with at least some useful information in crime investigations that they might not be able to access easily now.

Your thoughts on this?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Man, you are the single most statist person I have ever met.

Not judging, just sayin'.

OK, maybe judging a little. I quote Lord Acton:

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Man, you are the single most statist person I have ever met.

Not judging, just sayin'.

OK, maybe judging a little. I quote Lord Acton:

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

And yet my proposal is more moderate than the one proposed here:
Bill Would Bar Anonymous Prepaid Cellphones - The New York Times

What we need is less government involvement in our lives, not more useless bureaucracies to waste money.

So should we just eliminate the need to present ID at the bank because "we need less government involvement in our lives?"

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
No, no! Let's require intrusive registry and monitoring of SIM cards and burners! Because TERRISTS!

Now you're putting words in my mouth. Where in the OP did I propose registering SIM cards and burners?

Or even feature phones for that matter?

Um. . . banks aren't the government, genius.

I don't know about in the US. But in Canada I've always been asked for my SIN number whenever I'd opened a bank account. A SIN number is for Revenue Canada, a Federal government institution. And what about showing ID at customs at the airport?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Where in the OP did I propose registering SIM cards and burners?

Or even feature phones for that matter?

I don't know about in the US. But in Canada I've always been asked for my SIN number whenever I'd opened a bank account. A SIN number is for Revenue Canada, a Federal government institution. And what about showing ID at customs at the airport?

Raht char, buddy!

"Firstly, we could require a person to register a prepaid smart device (such as a smartphone, a tablet, or any other device that can access the internet)."

Next stupid question?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Also, telecom companies aren't the government either. Just as banks must follow government rules, so do other businesses, no?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Raht char, buddy!

"Firstly, we could require a person to register a prepaid smart device (such as a smartphone, a tablet, or any other device that can access the internet)."

Next stupid question?

right. If you read that, it clearly excludes feature phones and SIM cards.

The the sentence that followed the one you quoted:

"This would mean that since one would not need to register a prepaid feature phone (aka dumb phone) or other device that does not give him internet access and would not need to register a prepaid SIM card either, any person who truly wants to maintain his privacy would still have the option of buying a prepaid feature phone and SIM card. "

Banks ain't the government, genius.

Neither are telecom companies. So what would be wrong with requiring a company that sells smartphones from registering the buyer's phone. Banks are legally required to collect information too, no? At least in Canada anyway.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm sure we will soon have a link to how some Scandinavian countries have already done this with resounding success? Wait for it..........

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I'm sure we will soon have a link to how some Scandinavian countries have already done this with resounding success? Wait for it..........

Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you have a link?

I know Germany will require registration of pre-paid SIM cards, which is even more intrusive than what I proposed since to register smart devices would exclude SIM cards and feature phones.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you have a link?

I know Germany will require registration of pre-paid SIM cards, which is even more intrusive than what I proposed since to register smart devices would exclude SIM cards and feature phones.

Fu ck....... are you ever a moron. :rolleyes:

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Plus the German proposal imposes much stricter ID rules than what I proposed too. My my, some here must think Germany has gone fascist again.

Fu ck....... are you ever a moron. :rolleyes:

Do you know how to press the send button only once or is that too complicated for you?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
So, not only are you are a racist, and support intrusive big government, but you are now seeing things.

If you want to present rational arguments for or against the OP, by all means. If you're just here to troll people, then fuk off.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see the distinction between smart phones and not smart phones with regards to whether they should be registered or not. If you want to get all paranoid and big brothery, both should be registered. Personally, the government has never done anything right so why give them that power?