Ford: Electric cars will soon overtake Gas

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

You should be able to charge a car where there is a 220V electrical service, which is anywhere that has an electric stove or electric clothes drier. Those special charging stations give you a "rapid" charge but you can achieve the same thing plugging in at home and charging overnight.

4hr or longer would only require 110 V and less people would hurt themselves In Canada a lot of businesses have plugs for winter time use so there is no shortage of outlets already in place and the transformer is lighter when going from 110V to 48V and the odds are newer e-motors.
Perhaps the trucks and vans will have something like a 220V motor. One style that shows promise is the permanent magnet design where the magnets are replaced with electric magnets. (more or less an alternator made into an engine when it is fed a bit of power and then it runs off the power it produces) There are a few vids out on this design.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

My first car was a Volkswagen beetle....I know what it is to drive with mitts on, with one hand on the wheel and the other with a scraper to keep the windshield clean......after running for a half hour it wasn't too bad...

I loved my Bug (rust in pieces) It was a great summer car. That frosted windshield all winter served best to hide the snow drifted across a road that Herbie's nose would ride up. Its flat floor would hug it and the heavy rear end would settle into it. Trying to back out of it plugged the tailpipes, snuffing out the engine and giving me shoveling to do - if the shovel was in the car

Curious Cdn

My first car was a Volkswagen beetle....I know what it is to drive with mitts on, with one hand on the wheel and the other with a scraper to keep the windshield clean......after running for a half hour it wasn't too bad...

Mine too. It had a gas fired heater under the hood but I stopped using it after it backfired a couple of times. A friend's VW went up in flames from his gas heater. I commuted with that "Super Beetle" through the dead of a Montreal winter and I drove everywhere wearing sheepskin and down.

That rear engine drive was a pretty good winter car, though if you had lots of sand over the front axle and snow tires on all four. It drove like a Ski-doo.

pgs

Not to the NWT, just the Yukon and up the Labrador coast by sea.

Pr1ck No.1 defending Pr1ck No. 2 ...

Pathetic.

No No NO I need no defending from trolls . Calling people pricks proves you have no argument and have thrown in the towel . Have a nice day loser .

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

No No NO I need no defending from trolls . Calling people pricks proves you have no argument and have thrown in the towel . Have a nice day loser .

That's the best that you can do and really, all of your posts carry that same sort of meanness.

You really are a sociopathic pr1ck and I suggest that you see a shrink, pronto.

pgs

Yup I remember scrapping the inside window for the whole ride up to Whistler in my buddies old bug . Yikes it was cold that morning .

That's the best that you can do and really, all of your posts carry that same sort of meanness.

You really are a sociopathic pr1ck and I suggest that you see a shrink, pronto.

Thanks doctor curious I'll be right on it . Now continue your trolling loser .

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I loved my Bug (rust in pieces) It was a great summer car. That frosted windshield all winter served best to hide the snow drifted across a road that Herbie's nose would ride up. Its flat floor would hug it and the heavy rear end would settle into it. Trying to back out of it plugged the tailpipes, snuffing out the engine and giving me shoveling to do - if the shovel was in the car

Did you ever try that stunt, that if you got the right distance behind a eighteen wheeler, on level ground you could put the car in neutral and it would pull you along?
It worked, you know?

Curious Cdn

Did you ever try that stunt, that if you got the right distance behind a eighteen wheeler, on level ground you could put the car in neutral and it would pull you along?
It worked, you know?

That big chunk of steel channel a yard from my face, with only a cheap, flat windscreen in between was a tremendous disincentive to doing that.