Computer question

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We recently heard Yahoo has had a few million accounts hacked. My sister has a Yahoo email address. Is it enough to merely change her password or should she also change her email address?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would switch to gmail or somebody like that. If gmail got hacked I would probably create one with shaw, my internet provider.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Changing her password is fine. But she should review any information she gave yahoo such as date of birth or any other info. That could have been compromised. If it was, all she can do is be vigilant as that would potentially be used in identity theft..

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We recently heard Yahoo has had a few million accounts hacked. My sister has a Yahoo email address. Is it enough to merely change her password or should she also change her email address?

I have had a Yahoo email since I got on the web in 96.

The only problem, well more of a nuisance, I have ever had was the last year or so it kept prompting me to change my password, which I have never changed.

I couldn't understand why they kept urging me to change it ( I didn't) but now we know why. Apparently the breach occurred 2 years ago and they tried, for whatever reason, to keep it quiet.

The thing about changing to g mail or Hotmail or whatever is they too can be hacked.

The hack is only an issue if people have used their computer for any financial reason including filing income taxes.

If you don't use your real name or have it tied to facebook or have done anything to reveal your identity via telephone number or financial transactions you have nothing to worry about.

And if one decides to use another email provider do not tie that account to Facebook or Twitter etc., and don't use your real name and don't do anything to reveal your real identity.

Use code names . Hers code be fluffy and yours could be fluffier......

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I use yahoo as a sencdary email account.
It has been compromised a few times where they took all my contacts listed in my yahoo email Acct and send out phishing emails using my name. Lucky I didn't have that many listed.
It was interesting that the emails they sent out did not show up in my sent folder.

Exactly the same thing happened to a few of my friends who were using yahoo.