Right To Be Forgotten Should Not Go Beyond Europe

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Google's independent advisory council says Europe's Right to Be Forgotten ruling should be contained within the continent and that its reach shouldn't extend to .com domains.

The advisory council is composed of independent experts who were invited by Google and tasked with helping the search engine company strike the perfect balance of policy that respects consumer privacy and does the least harm to the public's ability to access information.

The independent council helps Google establish the criteria for what constitutes a legitimate request to be forgotten. The advisory body also confirms what Google already believed when it asserted that global .com domains shouldn't be affected by the Right to Be Forgotten ruling.

Google told the advisory council that 95 percent of searches in Europe are routed through local versions of the search engine, such as Google.eu. In light of that information the council, in a report, indicated that delisting information from Europe's local version of Google Search should be sufficient in complying with the ruling of a country's High Court on the matter.

Delisting outdated information at the request of European users, removing all instances of the data from all Google variants, would offer more assurance of absolute protection, but the council's majority conclusion is that there are "competing interests" that are bigger than the protection of an individual, the advisory council stated in its report:

more

Google Advisory Council: Right To Be Forgotten Should Not Go Beyond Europe : BIZ TECH : Tech Times

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This g00gle?

Google announced that it will delete the “auto suggestion” for the search “How can I join ISIS?” after the technology behemoth had been playing an unwitting partner in ISIS recruitment.Autosuggestions are automatic suggestions for searches based on common and popular searchers computer users enter into a search engine. Google will offer a number of choices for endings for a search as a searchers begins typing a phrase or sentence.

© REUTERS/ Kacper Pempel/Files
Google Hiring 'Army' of Arab Speakers to Fight Jihadi Recruitment

Many autosuggestions are can prove helpful or humorous, such as in a quick test, a search beginning with “How can I…” resulted in the top suggestion “How can I keep from singing?” However, Google was informed that one particular search was not funny. When residents of the United States and the United Kingdom entered “How can I join…” they were given the option of choosing “How can I join ISIS?” from the drop down search suggestion list. In one documented case, it reached as high as the fourth option.

Read more: Google Stops Being Unwitting Partner in ISIL Recruitment / Sputnik International