How cost effective is recycling?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol:...........It's making a buck for some.

There's a fella who raids my recycle box every week, taking only the drink cans.
Probably saves them up and sells them by the pound to a local scrap yard. Same yard that runs the recycle truck.:lol:

He must have a regular route as his trunk is always full, held shut by paracord.

Good for him.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
:lol:...........It's making a buck for some.

There's a fella who raids my recycle box every week, taking only the drink cans.
Probably saves them up and sells them by the pound to a local scrap yard. Same yard that runs the recycle truck.:lol:

He must have a regular route as his trunk is always full, held shut by paracord.

Good for him.

At 10 cents a can, he probably scores $5 from ya weekly.

I always save up my cans and bring them back to the recycling place. Waste not, want not. $60 bucks a visit.

I knew a guy in BC that would collect cans part time before he would go to work. He saved up enough to buy a brand new car, cash!!!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's very cost effective because it's not just about making money on the recycled goods. It's also about extending the life of landfills which are getting more expensive to operate due to ever increasing environmental regulations.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Recycling would be more cost effective if they would take all recyclable products. Glass can be used in both concrete and asphalt but for some reason our recycling system will not take all glass.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't bother with recycling. I just shove it all in the bin. Simples.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Does the value of the end product exceed the cost of the process?
Nope, nor is it supposed to, if we got big on recycling we could do it in 5 years, after those 5 years whatever was recycled is a raw product that was not used. If oil is the raw product then keep using that as it is already set up. We can still be a throw=awau nation put sorting it a bit before burial will save a bit of time when it comes time to did it back up. Nor would it hurt to do a test pit or two, which has already been done so the machines exist but building and running them won't get the funding they need, when those buried products are needed it won't matter what it costs to get the product.

Here is a product that has gone to **** and the reverse should have taken place. A few years back they standardized the oil content of hot-mix asphalt at 5.9%, down from 6.1%, for all intensive purposes the life of it went from 20+ years to <5 years and it has potholes by the 2nd spring because the fine voids are air rather than oil and water get in an freezes and cracks the asphalt. Repair mix should be 6.1 and once broken it is repair forever item. The best solution is Muck Murry Tar sand and clean out the hole mut some in the hole so it is mounded, drive over it slow with something very heavy so it is flat and move on to the next one. Thake the amount spent on asphalt in North America and slash the cost by 75% over 20 years, pay the ones not working more than welfare pays but less than their jobs would have and you have a group of people who are rich enough to have a need to use the roads and it is still less tax money spent, what is missing is the 50% that goes into the pockets of the shareholders who get paid to do the same job 4x instead of just once.

I don't bother with recycling. I just shove it all in the bin. Simples.
Mark it for later use. If it is tar leave it as tar as with tar you can make something water-tight, changing it into something flammable is every sailors dream I'm sure.

To each their own. You end up paying more in the long run doing it your way.
You both do if you don't come to an agreement that it should be one or the other. The plastic in the Pacific is a resourse ready for plucking, if gathering it and storing it on land until you find a use for it is a total waste of time, energy. Pick a little up and play with it until you have a process and then add to the pile in the water already as that one spot would seem to be the 'drain' so what came off the plastic is now in the mud some 16,000ft straight down. Do a little tornado modeling on the spot and dumping garbage would see the **** go down and the floatable stuff marks the spot and is a load that gets picked up and taken back to port.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
shutin, do you even know what that means? You are showing signs of cabin fever to go along with that one moment of clarity. Try cracking a window every now and then as you seen to be having more confusion that normal, a common trait of breathing shutin air.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
what?

shutin, do you even know what that means? You are showing signs of cabin fever to go along with that one moment of clarity. Try cracking a window every now and then as you seen to be having more confusion that normal, a common trait of breathing shutin air.

"more confusion that normal"

da faq?

Did you finish first grade?