Found an old floppy ....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I found a floppy disk the other day and I showed it to my son. He had no idea what it was and I said it was sort of like a USB drive today just bigger and slower. He wanted to know how many videos we used to get on them? I laughed and said they weren't really used that way.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I found a floppy disk the other day and I showed it to my son. He had no idea what it was and I said it was sort of like a USB drive today just bigger and slower. He wanted to know how many videos we used to get on them? I laughed and said they weren't really used that way.
I don't think they make towers with 3.5" drives anymore or the 3.5" disks.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's funny watching old movies and the spies or hackers have to protect the very important floppy disk from falling into enemy hands.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's funny watching old movies and the spies or hackers have to protect the very important floppy disk from falling into enemy hands.

My son was watching Home Alone 1 & 2 and it struck me how impossible those movies would be if only 1 of them had a cell phone.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I have an very old fashioned rotary dial phone that belonged to my grandmother. When my daughter was about 8 years old she asked me what it was. I told her it was a phone. She had no idea how it worked. She gave me such a look that I can't even describe it. She'd never seen a phone that wasn't a push button cordless variety.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
my very last desk top had a floppy holder...the guy I had build it said he'd just added it as he didn't know what to do with the parts and he thought I might still have a few floppies around with info to transfer...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Floppy - as in 3½-inch hard case or 5¼-inch TOO floppy?

My son found some cassettes in my schoolbag - and was completely enchanted by all the clicks, whirrs and beeps that played from his Walkman (yeah, it was a few years ago)

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cassette tapes are cool with the kids these days. Maybe not their use but their image. Will that ever happen to CDs? It's weird.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I found an old cassette tape I had stored away long ago.It was my mum's. It can play and record. It must be 25 years old at least. I pulled it out and there was an old tape in it. We turned it on knowing it wouldn't work but what the hell

Not only did it work, the sound quality was astounding...and I do mean ASTOUNDING. Nothing is built to last like that any more.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Floppy - as in 3½-inch hard case or 5¼-inch TOO floppy?

My son found some cassettes in my schoolbag - and was completely enchanted by all the clicks, whirrs and beeps that played from his Walkman (yeah, it was a few years ago)

Sorry, it was the latest floppy the 3.5 inch hard case. And my first floppy I ever used was bigger than 5.25. It was I think 8 inches or maybe 11.