Smoking statistics

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just got to thinking it's been about 25 years since smoking restrictions first got started, in public places, work sites, restaurants, pubs, hotel rooms, public conveyances etc. I think 25 years is ample time to detect a reduction in diseases like emphysema, bronchitis, C.O.P.D., heart disease, cancer etc. Is there anything published on how the rates have changed? If smoking is as dangerous as is made out then the decline must be obvious by now!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I just got to thinking it's been about 25 years since smoking restrictions first got started, in public places, work sites, restaurants, pubs, hotel rooms, public conveyances etc. I think 25 years is ample time to detect a reduction in diseases like emphysema, bronchitis, C.O.P.D., heart disease, cancer etc. Is there anything published on how the rates have changed? If smoking is as dangerous as is made out then the decline must be obvious by now!
I lost one of my sisters to lung cancer in 2012. They called it small cell lung cancer and the doctors attributed it directly to smoking. I don't know about the statistics though.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Smoking is perfectly safe, even healthy, fresh air kills more people every year, since records were kept.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I lost one of my sisters to lung cancer in 2012. They called it small cell lung cancer and the doctors attributed it directly to smoking. I don't know about the statistics though.
I personally would like to stick twelve cartons of the toxic poison up the tobacco company CEO's A$$'s . They know they produce a substance that kills, and continue to do so.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I personally would like to stick twelve cartons of the toxic poison up the tobacco company CEO's A$$'s . They know they produce a substance that kills, and continue to do so.

What about the damage from Pepsi,?Tobacoh ain;t the problem, otganic tobacco is peerfectively safe, even for chilgren, rspecialy teeenagrers.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I quit smoking cigarettes 9 yrs ago. So glad I did. I have no cravings and can't stand the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

I do, on occasion, enjoy a cigar. But the timing has to be right. Everything has to aline, as they say.

Love a toke here and there...but prefer to smell it which you can't do 8f you toke...

Lately I've been enjoying a glass or 2 of Bombay gin and lemonade. Its delicious.

6 months from now I'll probably have a new favourite "vice". Oh, eggnog season is coming...i almost forgot. Love spiced rum and eggnog

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I quit smoking cigarettes 9 yrs ago. So glad I did. I have no cravings and can't stand the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

I do, on occasion, enjoy a cigar. But the timing has to be right. Everything has to aline, as they say.

Love a toke here and there...but prefer to smell it which you can't do 8f you toke...

Lately I've been enjoying a glass or 2 of Bombay gin and lemonade. Its delicious.

6 months from now I'll probably have a new favourite "vice". Oh, eggnog season is coming...i almost forgot. Love spiced rum and eggnog

Geez, I'm just about as pure as you are. I was smoking about 4 cigarillos a day until 18 months ago when I got hit with Atrial fibrillation and quit that. I think I've had one beer in the past two years. I do enjoy hot (or cold rum) but I'm a little leery about dumping it on top of pills. I used to drink to be sociable but now I can be sociable drinking coffee or tea. (My jokes just don't sound as good)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Geez, I'm just about as pure as you are. I was smoking about 4 cigarillos a day until 18 months ago when I got hit with Atrial fibrillation and quit that. I think I've had one beer in the past two years. I do enjoy hot (or cold rum) but I'm a little leery about dumping it on top of pills. I used to drink to be sociable but now I can be sociable drinking coffee or tea. (My jokes just don't sound as good)

Pure? You think I'm pure? Oh i love you. I have worked pretty hard to be "square" and guess I have succeeded. From run away street kid to normal society. Very happy and content now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Pure? You think I'm pure? Oh i love you. I have worked pretty hard to be "square" and guess I have succeeded. From run away street kid to normal society. Very happy and content now.

Yep, the people I admire the most are the ones who have overcome adversity. I suppose the ones born with platinum spoons in their mouths can't help that either and if they put it to good use, that's fine too.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Here's an article on the subject from 2012:

Smoking ban 'has reduced asthma and heart attacks' | Society | The Guardian

there are probably other more recent articles which show links between such prohibitions and improved health