Seven privacy settings you should change immediately in iOS 8

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
...or not, what do I care. :lol:

The minute you download and install iOS 8, the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system for iPhone and iPad, you should take note of these privacy steps in order to lock down your device.

iOS 8 has a number of new features tied to your location. It also has new privacy settings, allowing users to limit how long data is stored for, such as message expiry features and new private browsing settings.

Before you do anything like customizing your phone, loading new apps, or syncing your data for the first time, these first seven settings need to be checked, and if necessary, changed.

1. Limit apps from tracking your location in the background

more

Seven privacy settings you should change immediately in iOS 8 | ZDNet

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Keep life simple and don't buy an Apple product.......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Have you looked and actually read the list of permissions associated with every app that you install and those already installed on your android phone?
At least the IPhone gives you the option to turn them off and on at will.
You would have to be a tech wizard to do it on the android

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Have you looked and actually read the list of permissions associated with every app that you install and those already installed on your android phone?
At least the IPhone gives you the option to turn them off and on at will.
You would have to be a tech wizard to do it on the android

Yeah! So there! You tell 'em iPhone buddy! ;)

:D

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Have you installed the new ios system yet?
My phone is a 4s and I usually wait a few weeks to update any new operating system to make sure they have the bugs worked out...I don't like being a guinea pig lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Have you installed the new ios system yet?
My phone is a 4s and I usually wait a few weeks to update any new operating system to make sure they have the bugs worked out...I don't like being a guinea pig lol

Yeah I have, updated the iPad as well. The family sharing feature looks interesting, to me anyway, and my daughter is making use of the audio text feature as well. I haven't had occasion to use too many more of the new features yet but I do like the quick reply feature for texts, I can see using that one a lot.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yeah I have, updated the iPad as well. The family sharing feature looks interesting, to me anyway, and my daughter is making use of the audio text feature as well. I haven't had occasion to use too many more of the new features yet but I do like the quick reply feature for texts, I can see using that one a lot.
Has it affected battery use or is it too early for you to notice any difference?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Has it affected battery use or is it too early for you to notice any difference?

I haven't really noticed yet to be honest. One thing I've started doing lately that has affected my battery is using my iPhone as a MP3 players since I now have to bus downtown to work in the mornings. Doesn't drain it completely or anything but I have to figure out a new routine for charging my phone...maybe I'll just need to get an adapter so I can use my alarm clock/docking station. (Since I upgraded to the 5s I've just left my old 4 sitting there and using that for wake up.)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
On my phone I have all the privacy setting on "manual" , meaning that my location is not available to any app unless I need it such as in maps.... but I don't do that for privacy but for battery life.
Both my daughter and my son have iphones so if they are willing, the new feature to find your friends my come in handy, so I wouldn't call them if I see that they are at work or in transit somewhere....my son doesn't have Bluetooth in his car.
Or if one of us lost their phone.....wouldn't need a PC with find my phone installed

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
On my phone I have all the privacy setting on "manual" , meaning that my location is not available to any app unless I need it such as in maps.... but I don't do that for privacy but for battery life.
Both my daughter and my son have iphones so if they are willing, the new feature to find your friends my come in handy, so I wouldn't call them if I see that they are at work or in transit somewhere....my son doesn't have Bluetooth in his car.
Or if one of us lost their phone.....wouldn't need a PC with find my phone installed

My "Location Services" under privacy is set to "On" but each app I install asks the question, most often I say no unless it's a reasonable one like Maps, Weather, etc. For the most part I haven't noticed a drain on my battery though. One thing that I does drain the battery is leaving WiFi on when you leave the house....at least that's what I've been told anyway, because it's constantly searching for a WiFi signal.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My "Location Services" under privacy is set to "On" but each app I install asks the question, most often I say no unless it's a reasonable one like Maps, Weather, etc. For the most part I haven't noticed a drain on my battery though. One thing that I does drain the battery is leaving WiFi on when you leave the house....at least that's what I've been told anyway, because it's constantly searching for a WiFi signal.

Probablydoesn't apply to city people much but much of where I go has no cell signal either and leaving the phone to hunt for signal uses a lot of battery too.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Probablydoesn't apply to city people much but much of where I go has no cell signal either and leaving the phone to hunt for signal uses a lot of battery too.

Yeah it probably would. At my old office, on occasion, I'd forget to turn off WiFi when I left the house, by noon my battery was down to half! And I don't use my cell phone when I'm at work so this is just from sitting there.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yeah it probably would. At my old office, on occasion, I'd forget to turn off WiFi when I left the house, by noon my battery was down to half! And I don't use my cell phone when I'm at work so this is just from sitting there.
Have you tried leaving Wi-Fi on but switch off "Ask to join networks"?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Have you tried leaving Wi-Fi on but switch off "Ask to join networks"?

Ask to join networks is off.

Overall it's not a huge deal, typically I go from home to work and then back home again. But where I want to be mindful is if I maybe go out somewhere afterwork, I want to make sure I have battery life in case I'm stuck somewhere and need to contact someone.

When I upgraded to the 5s I also picked up the new iPad as well shortly thereafter so I have two chargers at home. I can always carry one with me to work if it becomes a real problem.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I guess my battery is real good then.... if I don't use certain apps too much I can go about two days without recharge and I even listen to music every day with a Bluetooth headset when I walk....and that is at least an hour each day.....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I guess my battery is real good then.... if I don't use certain apps too much I can go about two days without recharge and I even listen to music every day with a Bluetooth headset when I walk....and that is at least an hour each day.....

Could very well be you did just get lucky with the battery. I do love my iPhone, ease of use, features, etc, but one thing I've always heard is that they are sh1tty for battery life.

Another thing I was contemplating is getting a mini bluetooth speaker for work (I don't have the desk space for a radio) and using my old iPhone 4 exclusively as an MP3 player...won't affect my cell phone battery that way and I can use my old charger since it doesn't fit the new phone anyway. I have to head out to the store today so I'll drop into Best Buy and see what they have available. Might also look into the Bluetooth headphones too. What brand do you have?