The rise of digital motion sickness

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Video games, 3D films and iOS7 set to make condition the 21st century's biggest occupational disease

• Illness is a variation on motion sickness which is caused by gadgets
  • Displays are now so good at mimicking reality they disorientate the brain
  • Problem will only get worse as tech gets better, experts say

Digitally induced motion sickness caused by iPhones, 3D films and computer games will become the biggest occupational illness of the 21st century, it has been claimed.

Tech experts have identified a variation on the traditional disorientating ailment, called 'simulation sickness' which is caused by looking at a screen rather than travelling in a boat, car or plane.
And they say the problem will only get worse, as gadgets become better at mimicking the real world around us.

more

Video games, 3D films and iOS7: Why digital motion sickness is tipped to become the 21st century's biggest occupational disease | Mail Online

If anyone has played Halo 2, that was the first real experience of 'falling' from great heights that I ever got, especially with certain skulls activated. Half-Life 2 was a real forerunner too with it's physics. I imagine new games are much worse but I'm not into those very much.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I dont play any video games but 3D movies do tend to make me feel a bit sick. I actually had to leave once to throw up. I avoid those movies now.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Use the right combination of red and blue and introduce motion you should be able to trigger an epileptic seizure.

I dont play any video games but 3D movies do tend to make me feel a bit sick. I actually had to leave once to throw up. I avoid those movies now.
VR simulators do the same, the trick is to gradually work you way up. 1 g first, then 1.1 until that is normal the 1.2 and so on, sooner or later (barring any medical conditions) your will be at a higher level that what you started at. VR sets for auto or aircraft are available for the average rec room, steep entry price but it is commercial built hardware so it will last a long time. Mechanical bull riding would be the same, 10th time on you can spin a little faster.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Use the right combination of red and blue and introduce motion you should be able to trigger an epileptic seizure.
That's a great way to diagnose a pork tapeworm.

Fight Against Tapeworm-Caused Epilepsy Intensified

Jan. 13, 2011 — The Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp is intensifying its fight in Congo against the pork tapeworm, which in spite of its name is also a human parasite, causing epilepsy. ITM scientists have worked for years on the tapeworm infection. That work now receives an important boost, thanks to a grant of the Gates Foundation, one of the most important health charities in the world. The Gates Foundations invests 1.5 million dollars in an international project to improve control of the tapeworm.