German student builds electromagnetic harvester

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Crafty and very cool! A German student has built a device that captures electromagnetic radiation and converts it to electricity.
German student builds electromagnetic harvester to recharge a battery

His device works in two bandwidths, one that can harvest EM from electrical lines, and another that works on frequencies used by Bluetooth. That last part could potentially cause some hiccups, but cool nonetheless!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
one step closer to perpetual motion or free electricity. Where was this dude when we had property with 3 sets of transmission lines running over it? At that time a sparky calculated it wold take a 6 ton copper winding to run one light bulb. Didn't seam worth the effort.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
one step closer to perpetual motion or free electricity. Where was this dude when we had property with 3 sets of transmission lines running over it? At that time a sparky calculated it wold take a 6 ton copper winding to run one light bulb. Didn't seam(sic) worth the effort.
Read the comments after the article and you'll see (but maybe not understand) why he won second prize.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He won second prize in a digital media competition. He didn't win runner-up because his idea was bad. It's early technology that takes hours to charge a single AA battery. I don't speak German so I have no idea what the winning idea was.

Semiconductors have followed Moore's Law, so I don't see why this cannot also.

I'll wait until I get some more authoritative comments from trusted sources, but I fail to see how converting EM radiation to DC electricity is going to cause more current loss in an AC electrical power line.

If it did, I would think this would be an even larger breakthrough. Wireless transmission of power from space to earth.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Read the comments after the article and you'll see (but maybe not understand) why he won second prize.

I understand the comments. Do you?

The winner
Had my wife translate it. Basically it is a way of measuring the effect of emotional reaction between organic and non organic. The guy used this to develop a robotic prothesis.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
On January 7th 2012, the Anniversary of the death of one of history's most brilliant scientists, Nikola Tesla, we will stand together and demand his research into harnessing electricity from the ionosphere, at a facility called Wardenclyffe, be released to the public.

The Energy Crisis is a lie, the problem was solved 100 years ago by a scientist named Nikola Tesla.

He had discovered a way to harness the naturally occurring electricity from the ionosphere, and then in turn rebroadcast it to individual relay stations that could be placed anywhere and were no larger then your average car antenna.

More: The Worlds Call To Release Nikola Tesla's Research-Jan 7th 2012 - Home

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
On January 7th 2012, the Anniversary of the death of one of history's most brilliant scientists, Nikola Tesla, we will stand together and demand his research into harnessing electricity from the ionosphere, at a facility called Wardenclyffe, be released to the public.

The Energy Crisis is a lie, the problem was solved 100 years ago by a scientist named Nikola Tesla.

He had discovered a way to harness the naturally occurring electricity from the ionosphere, and then in turn rebroadcast it to individual relay stations that could be placed anywhere and were no larger then your average car antenna.

More: The Worlds Call To Release Nikola Tesla's Research-Jan 7th 2012 - Home

There is little you can do to harness a huge spike in voltage like lightning. There are few occasions in the world where we need a sudden burst of electricity, and little way to time it to the happenstance of lightning. We don't have the batteries or capacitors to even out the outbursts. In any case, lightning is caused basically by the wind, so just avoid the middle man: wind farms.

Recycling the garbage waves around us is good, there is too much radio noise as is. I find it funny that I should be allowed to wastefully convert the waves to energy while it would be a crime for me to decode them if they are coming from a satellite TV provider or someone's unsecured wireless network.