Questions Abound as China Unveils Another Stealth Jet

Locutus

Here we go again.

Twenty-one months after China’s Chengdu aerospace firm unveiled its J-20 jet fighter prototype — Beijing’s first stealth warplane — the rival Shenyang company has revealed what appears to be a competing, radar-evading plane.

Over the weekend photos of increasing resolution leaked online depicting a previously unknown, black-painted warplane with the distinctive qualities of a stealth design. Perhaps it’s only a coincidence that the stealth jet was revealed right before U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta was due to arrive in China. But the Beijing government is known to use these online leaks to show off its military advancements.

more

Questions Abound as China Unveils Another Stealth Jet | Danger Room | Wired.com

Bar Sinister
Where are we going exactly? Is the fact that China is wasting its cash on military development anything to be concerned about or is this just a case of paranoia as usual in the USA?

BaalsTears
It's Obama's fault.

Machjo
China is being stupid in wasting taxpayers' hard-earned money on this, so we should be as stupid and follow suit.

PoliticalNick
The Americans always freak out when another country has weapons that rival them. They are the global bully and just like any bully they are sh*t-scared when someone isn't intimidated by them. I hope China builds 1000s if them if for nothing else than to kick that American ego in the teeth.

darkbeaver
Some analysts suggest that the USA is not #1 any longer in several aeronautical departments such as fifth generation air combat frames, I think they call them, and big fast missiles that ships can't deal with. Maybe if there were less corruption in the corporate rule of America it would last decades longer. Food or fighter planes. Canada should inquire about the price and the availability. Oh dang I forgot, our neighbours.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

The Americans always freak out when another country has weapons that rival them. They are the global bully and just like any bully they are sh*t-scared when someone isn't intimidated by them. I hope China builds 1000s if them if for nothing else than to kick that American ego in the teeth.

You wouldn' be saying that if it was your taxes paying for those Chinese jets. If you want to see China have more jets, then how about you make a contribution.

BaalsTears
How is China being no. 1 in Canada's national interest?

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

You wouldn' be saying that if it was your taxes paying for those Chinese jets. If you want to see China have more jets, then how about you make a contribution.

I do contribute. Every time I purchase something I contribute because it is all made in China nowadays.

Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

How is the US being #1 in Canada's national interest? What is our best interest would be Canada being #1....just saying.

L Gilbert
lol More of the same ol same ol "keeping up with" or "gotta be better than the Joneses".
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201104/keeping-and-down-the-joneses

Machjo

I do contribute. Every time I purchase something I contribute because it is all made in China nowadays.

But if they have to raise taxes to pay for thhis, then you'll be paying more.

And I don't necessarily want Canada to be number one either, except in the moral sense. Beyond that, if we naturally become number 1, great, but let's not try to bankrupt ourselves doing so.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

And I don't necessarily want Canada to be number one either....

I do....and make me King of it. I will make the world a better place using the bully pulpit of the white house....oh wait....that was GW Bush's speech...

darkbeaver
+1
I'm tired of being American I want to be Chinese.

EagleSmack

How is the US being #1 in Canada's national interest? What is our best interest would be Canada being #1....just saying.

Forward to Mediocrity!

We aren't scared... we just need to find ways to kill it! WHOOOOOP!

Bar Sinister
+1
Come on. Let's look at the reality of the world arms race. First of all, the US military currently spends as much as the next 20 or so
nations.

Second the US currently spends almost as much on military research as the entire Chinese defence budget.

This is really all about fear-mongering by the US military-industrial complex in order to keep military spending high. There really is no military threat to the US from China.

damngrumpy
+2
#16  Top Rated Post
No one should have the bomb, now one should have stealth jets and on it goes.
Competition is the name of the game and America is responsible for it own mess.
They are responsible for making China a major power to rival them. After all the
Americans took the factories to China to cheat North Americans out of a decent
living. And better yet, while they tell the world how green they are they ship the
jobs to China to skirt environmental regulations.
America destabilized it own nation just so corporate executives could make more
money and everyone else gets less.
America is getting exactly what's coming to them. They bought oil from the Arab
world, increased their economic wealth and now they are suffering from the problems
associated with that too.
Oh, I hear it now, All those bloody chickens coming home to roost.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

They are responsible for making China a major power to rival them. After all the
living. And better yet, while they tell the world how green they are they ship the
world, increased their economic wealth and now they are suffering from the problems

I wish I could give this 10 thumbs up....well said!

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Where are we going exactly? Is the fact that China is wasting its cash on military development anything to be concerned about or is this just a case of paranoia as usual in the USA?

Paranoia.

They have a big country, big population, big military and huge economy now.... if the US can over blow their budget on their military to protect their assets, why can't China?

The Australian government is kind of stuck between both countries, as they're allies and trading partners with both nations.... I'd go with China myself.

B00Mer
They should put the Wal-Mart logo on it.. lol

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Come on. Let's look at the reality of the world arms race. First of all, the US military currently spends as much as the next 20 or so
nations.

Second the US currently spends almost as much on military research as the entire Chinese defence budget.

This is really all about fear-mongering by the US military-industrial complex in order to keep military spending high. There really is no military threat to the US from China.

Getting ready for an intergallactic invasion are we? How paranoid can a nation get? No wonder the US is almost bankrupt.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

American did not "ship its jobs to China". In a free market, we move to where the markets are. Are you saying chinese workers aren't entitled to decent jobs?

I wish I could give this 10 thumbs up....well said!

So a hard-working Chinese worker ought not to be entitled to a decent job? Shouldn't we hire based on merit? Free trade does that.

petros

It's Obama's fault.

Nnnnnnnope. Clinton through doors kicked open by Reagan but mainly through really really sloppy private sector information scrutiny.

Machjo
I'm all for getting rid of the bomb. But I just don't see why economic xenophobia has to be thrown into the mix. Personally, I believe if we want peace in the world, we need to trade with one another, not isolate from one another.

Tennyson said it best:

Men, my brothers, men the workers, ever reaping something new:
That which they have done but earnest of the things that they shall do:

For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;

Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;

Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;

Far along the world-wide whisper of the south-wind rushing warm,
With the standards of the peoples plunging thro' the thunder-storm;

Till the war-drum throbb'd no longer, and the battle-flags were furl'd
In the Parliament of man, the Federation of the world.

There the common sense of most shall hold a fretful realm in awe,
And the kindly earth shall slumber, lapt in universal law.

taxslave

How is the US being #1 warmonger in Canada's best interest?

petros
+1
The deadliest wars are financial...

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

How is the US being #1 warmonger in Canada's best interest?

It's not. An economically ill USA means an economically ill Canada too.