High Mileage Cars Banned in the US?

Bar Sinister
Anything to this story? The link was emailed to me by a relative. It claims that cars getting up to eighty miles per gallon in Europe are banned in the United States.

Revolutionary Politics::Revolutionary Politics : VW with 80mpg? Made in the USA, but illegal to purchase. (external - login to view)

Walter
I heard they were going to ban flush toilets, too.

55Mercury
jobs jobs jobs

it would kill the US auto industry (if it's true)

TenPenny
+1
It's not that the cars are banned here, it's that people in NA don't want turbodiesel cars with small engines, they don't sell here, so the manufacturers won't bother selling those engines here.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

It's not that the cars are banned here, it's that people in NA don't want turbodiesel cars with small engines, they don't sell here, so the manufacturers won't bother selling those engines here.

More like the marketing people don't want them and have convinced buyers that they would look cool in a gas gobbling land yacht. Some of the real small ones may not meet North American safety standards either.
Oddly enough many super fuel efficient diesels do not meet emission standards. Never could figure that one out.

lone wolf
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
Back in the hot rod days of cheap gas if anyone ever told me I'd own a Toyota, I'd have told them they were nuts....

The Old Medic
+1
They have tried, repeatedly to sell those high mileage cars in the US. They simply do not sell. They are tiny, they are NOT designed for American roads (particular in the Western half of the country), they are not safe on entering freeways, and they cost way too much for what you get.

Just like Hybrids and electric cars don't sell worth a damn. There are massive subsidies to purchase electric cars, and they STILL can't sell them.

And this is NOT because of advertising. It's because the cars are simply not suitable for real wokld driving.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Back in the hot rod days of cheap gas if anyone ever told me I'd own a Toyota, I'd have told them they were nuts....

Back in the seventies I was shopping for a new car and one of the things that pushed me towards Japanese cars was the fit and finish of the doors and hood and trunk lid. On North American cars the crack between the doors etc, and the car body was variable. The crack on one side of the trunk lid, doors, etc. was wider than the other side. The Japanese cars didn't seem to have this problem.

Highball
Three federal regulatory agencies. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency (doesn't meet emissions standards. ) National Highway Safety Standards Act (doesn't meet ALL of the requirements and until those cars do they will never be allowed to be sold in the US.) USNAM US National Auto Manufacturers (dominated by GM,C: General Motors, China) and right now the toughest thing to do is try to get any of these so called standards changed or updated. The EPA power is the US is now legendary. They are the one big reason many US based manufacturers moved off shore. GE even relocated its International HQ for that sole reason plus tax advantages.

petros
+1
Slap a "slow moving vehicle" triangle on and drive in the bike lane at a swift yet consistant 29km/h and side step all the hooey.

TenPenny
Check out how well the Fiat 500 is selling in the US. Not.

Nuggler
+1

I'll see your Toyota and raise you two Hyundais.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Back in the seventies I was shopping for a new car and one of the things that pushed me towards Japanese cars was the fit and finish of the doors and hood and trunk lid. On North American cars the crack between the doors etc, and the car body was variable. The crack on one side of the trunk lid, doors, etc. was wider than the other side. The Japanese cars didn't seem to have this problem.

Ford had a neat little job which blew up during rear end collisions, burning the rear seat occupants to death.

They fought any safety improvements tooth and nail
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote: Old Medic: "And this is NOT because of advertising. It's because the cars are simply not suitable for real world driving.""

The real world will be changing somewhat in the future. Can one outfit a bike with snow tires??

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

I'll see your Toyota and raise you two Hyundais.

Ford had a neat little job which blew up during rear end collisions, burning the rear seat occupants to death.

They fought any safety improvements tooth and nail
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote: Old Medic: "And this is NOT because of advertising. It's because the cars are simply not suitable for real world driving.""

The real world will be changing somewhat in the future. Can one outfit a bike with snow tires??

I always got a kick out of Ford logic: Lawsuits will be cheaper to settle than changing the design.

Mom called hers "Sherman".

TenPenny

I always got a kick out of Ford logic: Lawsuits will be cheaper to settle than changing the design.

That's not just Ford's logic, it was GMs logic as well.

And think about it. You run a business, and one person dies using your stuff. Do you immediately stop everything and redesign it?

lone wolf

That's not just Ford's logic, it was GMs logic as well.

And think about it. You run a business, and one person dies using your stuff. Do you immediately stop everything and redesign it?

I remember Corvair.... I remember "What's good for General Motors is good for the USA" too (well, hearing of it) It's mostly the "so what?" attitude of corporate North America that steers us....

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

That was the infamous Ford Pinto.

I used to have a 53 Ford Pickup with a flathead V8. called it Sherman too because it was built like a tank.

lone wolf
Some relative of hers (the Pinto, that is) cooked people inside it....

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

They have tried, repeatedly to sell those high mileage cars in the US. They simply do not sell. They are tiny, they are NOT designed for American roads (particular in the Western half of the country), they are not safe on entering freeways, and they cost way too much for what you get.

Just like Hybrids and electric cars don't sell worth a damn. There are massive subsidies to purchase electric cars, and they STILL can't sell them.

And this is NOT because of advertising. It's because the cars are simply not suitable for real wokld driving.

Funny that. Even smart cars are driven on the autobahn that has no speed limits. Europe has some nasty roads and much more traffic than we do yet they seem to manage just fine. It is just a mindset brought on by a constant push to buy big gas guzzlers.
Hybrids and electric are a different story. The only electric that I am aware of that really works is the Tesla. But it is expensive. All the rest are only suitable for short hauls inside the city.

Bar Sinister

I can't buy that argument, TP. Not when those little Smart Cars cars are puttering around the streets. In any case many of these cars
are not small as the pic below shows.

CanadianLove
The above link was broken - Account Suspended.

VW Passat 785 MPG Imperial gallon 652 MPG US gallon in the Uk - YouTube

VW TDI Drives 1,531 Miles On One Tank | Vehix Blog: News, Reviews, Articles, Auto Shows, Videos and more (external - login to view)

www.vehix.com/blog/news/volks...ne-tank-of-gas (external - login to view)

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

I can't buy that argument, TP. Not when those little Smart Cars cars are puttering around the streets. In any case many of these cars

As your picture shows, they aren't 'banned' here.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Looks pretty small to me. But I drive a six pac.
However if I lived in the city and did not require a truck for work I would drive the smallest car I could find to commute.
Any smart car owners out there? My stepson, who is a mechanic in Germany claims they tend to loose their engines around the 160000 mark. Just wondering if it comes from having access to real freeways instead of rolling parking lots.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Any smart car owners out there? My stepson, who is a mechanic in Germany claims they tend to loose their engines around the 160000 mark. Just wondering if it comes from having access to real freeways instead of rolling parking lots.

Seeing two dead Cars2go.com Smart cars on BC HWY 99 on the same climb out of Squamish has me wondering that too

TenPenny
With 2 kidsand a dog, the Smart is totally impractical for me. I'll stick with my Outback, thanks. If Subaru brought their diesel out here, I'd consider that, but I can't see the value in a car that won't hold the family.

petros

With 2 kidsand a dog, the Smart is totally impractical for me. I'll stick with my Outback, thanks. If Subaru brought their diesel out here, I'd consider that, but I can't see the value in a car that won't hold the family.

Have you ever seen a Smart car in a lumberyard? I bet Smart car owners have friends with trucks on speed dial.

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Have you ever seen a Smart car in a lumberyard? I bet Smart car owners have friends with trucks on speed dial.

I passed a Smart car pulling a tent trailer today. It smelled like it was on its final mile. Wonder if it really smarts now

petros
A trailer about this size?

lone wolf
That would have been a smarter choice

no new posts