Invented in 1899 and hasn’t needed improving since...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The paper clip is something of a fetish object in design circles. Its spare, machined aesthetic and its inexpensive ubiquity landed it a spot in MoMA’s 2004 show Humble Masterpieces. This was a pedestal too high for design critic Michael Bierut, who responded with an essay called “To Hell with the Simple Paper Clip.” He argued that designers praise supposedly unauthored objects like the paper clip because they’re loath to choose between giving publicity to a competitor and egotistically touting their own designs. Bierut might be right about his colleagues’ motives, but he’s wrong about the paper clip: It’s not all that simple.

Most everyday objects—like the key, or the book, or the phone—evolve over time in incremental ways, and the 20th century in particular revolutionized, streamlined, or technologized the vast majority of the things you hold in your hand over the course of an average day. But if you could step into an office in 1895—walking past horse-drawn buses and rows of wooden telephone switchboard cabinets—you might find a perfectly recognizable, shiny silver paper clip sitting on a desk. What was then a brand-new technology is now, well over a century later, likely to be in the same place, ready to perform the same tasks. Why did the paper clip find its form so quickly, and why has it stuck with us for so long?

more

The history of the paper clip: It was invented in 1899. It hasn’t been improved upon since. - Slate Magazine

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Paper clips have changed and improved:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

This too!

Smith and Wesson M&P Model 10, patented 1899.

Still carried by armoured car guards in Canada. (although that is changing now)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yes! Butterfly clips make much better projectiles than the old fashioned kind. Lol

And try holding together 250 pages of raw data with a standard paper clip. Doesn't work so well!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sometimes there is simply no way to improve on the original thing. Several other inventions come to mid as well, like the thumb tack and the Robertson screw. I absolutely hate that American copycat the Phillips. Whenever I have something to assemble and Phillips screws are provided I throw them away and buy Robertsons.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Nor does trying to staple them! Lol.

It's a good workout though with the heavy duty stapler!

Staples are forbidden at work, on documents that will be submitted to the regulatory agencies for license submissions. Sometimes the dossiers end up in multiple binders. Lots of paper...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sometimes there is simply no way to improve on the original thing. Several other inventions come to mid as well, like the thumb tack and the Robertson screw. I absolutely hate that American copycat the Phillips. Whenever I have something to assemble and Phillips screws are provided I throw them away and buy Robertsons.

The phillips was designed for car manufacturing and one feature is that the driver will. 'cam out', ie, the screwdriver will come out of the screw, so that you can't overtorque the screw. This is also it's biggest. Drawback you can't Get enough torque to remove some screws.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The phillips was designed for car manufacturing and one feature is that the driver will. 'cam out', ie, the screwdriver will come out of the screw, so that you can't overtorque the screw. This is also it's biggest. Drawback you can't Get enough torque to remove some screws.

Actually there is a much simpler reason. Phillips was willing to license his inferior screwdriver to American industry for less money than Robertson. Given a choice between paying a higher price for a better product American industry went for the low cost fix.

As for overtorquing I find that the Phillips constantly strips, making it almost impossible to remove and frequently impossible to install. It's a crappy product that should be scrapped.