Rant Alert !!

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
I am totally fed up of receiving telephone calls offering either to send me a credit card or to reclaim Payment Protection monies from my Bank Loan, or to help me out of debt.

I do not want and would never use a credit card. I do not have a bank loan. I am not in debt.

My telephone number is ex-directory - because I thought that would protect me from this rubbish - it doesn't.

I pay extra to have 'Caller ID' displayed on my telephone - because I thought that would protect me from this rubbish - it doesn't - because ...

I also pay extra to have 'Call Minder' - so, if I don't answer them, they just leave voice mail messages. Not so bad as long as there have not been any legitimate callers - I can just delete them. But if any of my friends have left messages ... I have to check !

I bought a telephone that had a 'Call Bar' facility - doesn't help. You can only block 30 numbers - those were used up weeks ago and anyway they keep changing numbers !

They ring between 10 and 15 times per day, anytime between 8:00am and 8:00pm.

What on earth can I do to be rid of them - they are driving me MAD. Do you guys have this sort of problem over there ?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sound of a cruise ship horn followed by "This is your captain speaking...Don't miss the boat. ....." wait for a live person and get out the hockey air horn and blast it in the phone, and say "No thank you, quit calling"... lol :lol:

I like that one. I started answering that one, they put you into a 'survey', so I just hit random numbers until the survey is over, then when I get a live operator, to take my info, I tell them I want a 12" pizza with the works...I got one operator really pizzed off at me, because I just kept repeating that all I wanted was to order my pizza.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Get rid of your land-line telephone. I'm pretty sure there is a law forbidding advertisers from phoning people's mobile numbers, as it can actually cost the recipient money.

I have had a mobile phone alone for going on a decade, and I haven't had an unsolicited call in that time.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I found that there are certain times when telemarketers et al call, thus I have told family and friends that I do not answers calls between those periods but will respond to messages as I always check after a call. I find that for the most part my life is now free of those pesky people.

We here in hinterland still live in the dark ages without cell phone towers so getting rid of my land-line is simply not on.

Galadriel

Jun 14, 2009
Blowing horns or whistles down the phone is no use - 9 times out of 10 it is a pre-recorded message. I do not want to be rid of my land line - just these idiot calls !

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I found that there are certain times when telemarketers et al call, thus I have told family and friends that I do not answers calls between those periods but will respond to messages as I always check after a call. I find that for the most part my life is now free of those pesky people.

We here in hinterland still live in the dark ages without cell phone towers so getting rid of my land-line is simply not on.

If you have internet you could just use Skype. For calling my Mom and Dad back in Canada, that is what I do. It has the added benefit of being insanely cheap.

Blowing horns or whistles down the phone is no use - 9 times out of 10 it is a pre-recorded message. I do not want to be rid of my land line - just these idiot calls !

But what value does the land line add over a cell phone? My cell phone bill runs me 10 euro every 3-4 months (it is prepaid).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Get rid of your land-line telephone. I'm pretty sure there is a law forbidding advertisers from phoning people's mobile numbers, as it can actually cost the recipient money.

I have had a mobile phone alone for going on a decade, and I haven't had an unsolicited call in that time.

I believe the CRTC is going to start allowing this shortly.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
[SIZE=3 said:
Niflmir[/SIZE];1584660]If you have internet you could just use Skype. For calling my Mom and Dad back in Canada, that is what I do. It has the added benefit of being insanely cheap.

I tried Skype out a friend's place, Nif but found that even with my hearing aids, I have a very difficult time understanding the conversation. Thank you though for the tip.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I get em once in a while on my cell phone, so, having a cell only is no guarantee that it won't happen.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well, I had only heard that it was illegal. Which it seems to me it should be. If I end up paying roaming fees because of a solicitor, somehow that feels like a crime to me.

Mowich, the real problem with Skype is that the person you are talking to might be using a bad microphone. The quality on microphones really varies, like on some cordless phones as well. I am slightly hard of hearing, so I sympathize.