Online Video Sales Experiment Pays Off

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The future of marketing? Give people what they want at a reasonable price and they will gladly pay. Interesting concept.

Kinda neat. Good for him.

"...Comedian Louis CK has weighed in with a status report on the first four days of his experiment with independent, DRM-free video distribution. CK spent $170,000 recording live performances consisting of previously unaired material ("every new generation of material I create is my income, it's like a farmer's annual crop") and made it available online direct from a site that he spent a further $32,000 on for $5, without any DRM. In four days, CK recouped the $200,000 outlay and made an additional $200,000, and sales are still holding strong..."

Louis CK's DRM-free direct-sales video experiment pays off - Boing Boing

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
DRM only punishes people who legitimately purchase and own video/music/video games etc. Pirates strip the DRM layer off and continues as usual, this is something the meatheads in the movie industry fail to grasp.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
DRM only punishes people who legitimately purchase and own video/music/video games etc. Pirates strip the DRM layer off and continues as usual, this is something the meatheads in the movie industry fail to grasp.

Well yes, and that's the reason I like what he's done. DRM is the big companies punishing the majority for the transgressions of a few. This cuts them both out of the game doesn't it?

Sincerely, I don't want pirated material. People should get fairly compensated for the work they create.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Louis CK rocks! And he is another artist who gets it.

If people like your stuff and you offer some of it up for free they will be willing to pay for more.