The World According to Monsanto

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"There’s nothing they are leaving untouched: the mustard, the okra, the bringe oil, the rice, the cauliflower. Once they have established the norm: that seed can be owned as their property, royalties can be collected. We will depend on them for every seed we grow of every crop we grow. If they control seed, they control food, they know it – it’s strategic. It’s more powerful than bombs. It’s more powerful than guns. This is the best way to control the populations of the world. The story starts in the White House, where Monsanto often got its way by exerting disproportionate influence over policymakers via the “revolving door”. One example is Michael Taylor, who worked for Monsanto as an attorney before being appointed as deputy commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1991. While at the FDA, the authority that deals with all US food approvals, Taylor made crucial decisions that led to the approval of GE foods and crops. Then he returned to Monsanto, becoming the company’s vice president for public policy.

Thanks to these intimate links between Monsanto and government agencies, the US adopted GE foods and crops without proper testing, without consumer labeling and in spite of serious questions hanging over their safety. Not coincidentally, Monsanto supplies 90 percent of the GE seeds used by the US market. Monsanto’s long arm stretched so far that, in the early nineties, the US Food and Drugs Agency even ignored warnings of their own scientists, who were cautioning that GE crops could cause negative health effects. Other tactics the company uses to stifle concerns about their products include misleading advertising, bribery and concealing scientific evidence."

The World According to Monsanto | Watch Free Documentary Online

I have watched many docs on Monsanto but this has to be one of the best researched of them all. The harm they have caused world-wide is breathtaking to behold.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Monsanto - The cancer of unbridled capitalism. Monsanto is a threat to every living thing on this planet. It represents the epitome of our evolution.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Monsanto - The cancer of unbridled capitalism. Monsanto is a threat to every living thing on this planet. It represents the epitome of our evolution.

The fact that Monsanto is buying up seed companies faster than they can count their billions, scares me Cliffy. No one, especially a company with such a flagrant disregard for human health, should be allowed to 'own' the seeds for food.

What is happening right now in countries such as Mexico, where their native corn has now been contaminated by Monsanto genes, is simply heart-breaking. There is literally no way to eradicate the 'industrial corn' except by hand.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Scaremongering is rather silly.

You have to be kidding.........or you didn't watch the entire documentary. Scaremongering might just be the only way to get it through people's heads that this company is a real and growing threat to the future of food on the planet.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You have to be kidding

No

Scaremongering might just be the only way to get it through people's heads that this company is a real and growing threat to the future of food on the planet.

No it's not. The scaremongers suggest that Monsanto will control the food supply. That is simply nonsense. Governments all over the world are far too intertwined with food production for that to happen.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No

No it's not. The scaremongers suggest that Monsanto will control the food supply. That is simply nonsense. Governments all over the world are far too intertwined with food production for that to happen.

Cannuck, you really need to do some research about Monsanto.............they already have the US in the palm of their hands thus their ability to get GE seeds on the market without any due diligence. They are ruining the cotton industry in India. They lie, they cheat, they manipulate data to their own ends. Do some research then come back, okay.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Cannuck, you really need to do some research about Monsanto.............they already have the US in the palm of their hands thus their ability to get GE seeds on the market without any due diligence. They are ruining the cotton industry in India. They lie, they cheat, they manipulate data to their own ends. Do some research then come back, okay.

Do some research and come back OK.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Do some research and come back OK.

Monsanto's Harvest of Fear | Politics | Vanity Fair

Monsanto and its Legacy with the FDA :

"For example, Margaret Miller was a former supervisor for Monsanto and was actively involved in the GBH program. In fact, she was the very person who created the report that was sent to the FDA seeking approval to use GBH in the milk industry. Soon after she finished the report, she left her job at Monsanto and went to work for the FDA as the new Deputy Director of Human Food Safety. Ironically, her first assignment with the FDA was to approve her own report, effectively poisoning our milk supply. Imagine that! As you can see, oversight is virtually non existence, and in my opinion its not to be found what so ever in our current government.

Micheal Taylor was the legal advisor to the FDA who fought for the labeling guidelines that kept the non GBH dairy farmers from labeling their products GBH free. By passing this unconstitutional law, the FDA has effectively stopped consumers from making an educated choice in regards to their food. When it comes to food freedom there is none, the government has chosen to make that choice for us. After shilling for Monsanto, he was given as job as head of the Monsanto division in Washington DC.

Lets look at a few more Monsanto / government connections. Donald Rumsfield our former Secretary of Defense was on the Board of Monsanto’s Searle pharmaceuticals, which is credited with bringing us the toxic sweetener Aspartame. Before being elected to the Supreme Court, Judge Clarence Thomas was a lawyer for the Monsanto corporation and lets not forget Anne Veneman, who became the US Secretary of Agriculture after she left the Board of Monsanto.

When a corporation becomes entangled into our government it can only lead to profit in favor of the corporation and less over sight for the people the government is supposed to protect. The government is supposed to work for our interests and our safety, but as this article has shown, that hasn’t taken place in years. Big corporation are controlling every aspect of our lives and we sure can’t count on the government WE THE PEOPLE created to do its job. Become aware my friends and together we can stop this government of lies and its money hungry partner. corrupt big business."

Monsanto Submitted "Fake Scientific Data" Says Former Exec | Use Celsias.com - reduce global °Celsius

Monsanto Nation: Taking Down Goliath

Oh, and that wonderful product of Monsanto's - Roundup- here's an eyeopener for you.

Attack of the Superweed - Businessweek

There, that should keep you busy................and better informed, for awhile.

P.S. When you are finished with these articles, you might want to google 'bovine growth hormone'.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
P.S. When you are finished with these articles, you might want to google 'bovine growth hormone'.
Mowich. He has no interest in discussion or learning.

You can prove him wrong umpteen times a thread, he'll just move the goalposts, build straw men, and/or deny it happened.

Don't waste your time.

I love it when he proves me right.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Monsanto's Harvest of Fear | Politics | Vanity Fair

Monsanto and its Legacy with the FDA :

"For example, Margaret Miller was a former supervisor for Monsanto and was actively involved in the GBH program. In fact, she was the very person who created the report that was sent to the FDA seeking approval to use GBH in the milk industry. Soon after she finished the report, she left her job at Monsanto and went to work for the FDA as the new Deputy Director of Human Food Safety. Ironically, her first assignment with the FDA was to approve her own report, effectively poisoning our milk supply. Imagine that! As you can see, oversight is virtually non existence, and in my opinion its not to be found what so ever in our current government.

Micheal Taylor was the legal advisor to the FDA who fought for the labeling guidelines that kept the non GBH dairy farmers from labeling their products GBH free. By passing this unconstitutional law, the FDA has effectively stopped consumers from making an educated choice in regards to their food. When it comes to food freedom there is none, the government has chosen to make that choice for us. After shilling for Monsanto, he was given as job as head of the Monsanto division in Washington DC.

Lets look at a few more Monsanto / government connections. Donald Rumsfield our former Secretary of Defense was on the Board of Monsanto’s Searle pharmaceuticals, which is credited with bringing us the toxic sweetener Aspartame. Before being elected to the Supreme Court, Judge Clarence Thomas was a lawyer for the Monsanto corporation and lets not forget Anne Veneman, who became the US Secretary of Agriculture after she left the Board of Monsanto.

When a corporation becomes entangled into our government it can only lead to profit in favor of the corporation and less over sight for the people the government is supposed to protect. The government is supposed to work for our interests and our safety, but as this article has shown, that hasn’t taken place in years. Big corporation are controlling every aspect of our lives and we sure can’t count on the government WE THE PEOPLE created to do its job. Become aware my friends and together we can stop this government of lies and its money hungry partner. corrupt big business."

Monsanto Submitted "Fake Scientific Data" Says Former Exec | Use Celsias.com - reduce global °Celsius

Monsanto Nation: Taking Down Goliath

Oh, and that wonderful product of Monsanto's - Roundup- here's an eyeopener for you.

Attack of the Superweed - Businessweek

There, that should keep you busy................and better informed, for awhile.

I've read and heard a few things about Monsanto. Personally, wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw them. There is some definite shadiness in that company. Definitely a worthwhile topic for conversation.

How arrogantly dismissive.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

What in particular would you like someone to learn by googling 'bovine growth hormone'? Bovine somatotropin has no health impacts in humans, and bovine somatotropin is found in all dairy cows. The reason you can't label milk as free of that hormone is because that would simply be untrue.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If there was ever such a thing as an evil empire Monsanto is it. Although they lack proof several of the Naturopaths my wife works with are convinced that GM foods are responsible for the increase in people with food sensitivities and cancer. I don't really grasp the science part too well but it has to do with genetic imprinting and your body saying I don't recognize this spliced gene so I am going to reject it. Tonington could probably explain the theory much better.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If there was ever such a thing as an evil empire Monsanto is it. Although they lack proof several of the Naturopaths my wife works with are convinced that GM foods are responsible for the increase in people with food sensitivities and cancer. I don't really grasp the science part too well but it has to do with genetic imprinting and your body saying I don't recognize this spliced gene so I am going to reject it. Tonington could probably explain the theory much better.

It sounds kind of wonky...technically there's no difference as far as your body is concerned with one gene or another in the food you eat. We ingest foreign genes every time we eat food, and a spliced gene is no different than the regular genes. Spliced is just how it was inserted into the genome...the food we eat is composed of genes that weren't always there. Insertion and deletion mutations create new genes, that produce new phenotypes in our food. Gene splicing is doing the same thing, only in a targeted fashion, and without the hundreds, and thousands, and millions of years of evolution.

The reason the proof isn't there is because it is so wonky, from a biological perspective.

The fears about growth hormones in milk are wonky too. Bovine somatotropin is a hormone, a protein. The protein is broken down in your stomach. If proteins easily survived the trip through the upper digestive tract, diabetics wouldn't be injecting insulin with tuberculin syringes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Could not agree with your more, taxslave. I have been reading about this company for a long time now. They first came to my attention over the infamous Agent Orange - then there was the Bopal, India incident.

I firmly believe that all genetically modified foods should be clearly labelled. There is something in the order of 30,000 'modified' foods already on our grocery shelves.

Did you watch the video?

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Monsanto supplied our Forest Fire Retardant chemicals for 27 years and we were constantly receiving complaints about Retardant related issues with humans like skin rashes, outright breakouts of surface skin sores, being exposed to the fine mist and dye and experiencing difficulty in breathing. We filled out the routine required reports and asked to a review. Every review pane had a Monsanto chemist on it. In all cases they made every attempt to minimize what had happened. Finally, a Federal Judge took the action that need to be taken decades before. He ordered the use of the Retardant terminated immediately. Monsanto is still fighting this order in the higher courts. Their levels of accountibilty are a joke.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It sounds kind of wonky...technically there's no difference as far as your body is concerned with one gene or another in the food you eat. We ingest foreign genes every time we eat food, and a spliced gene is no different than the regular genes. Spliced is just how it was inserted into the genome...the food we eat is composed of genes that weren't always there. Insertion and deletion mutations create new genes, that produce new phenotypes in our food. Gene splicing is doing the same thing, only in a targeted fashion, and without the hundreds, and thousands, and millions of years of evolution.

The reason the proof isn't there is because it is so wonky, from a biological perspective.

The fears about growth hormones in milk are wonky too. Bovine somatotropin is a hormone, a protein. The protein is broken down in your stomach. If proteins easily survived the trip through the upper digestive tract, diabetics wouldn't be injecting insulin with tuberculin syringes.

Okay Ton, but there is what one of the scientists said in the documentary that gave me pause. He said that there was no problem with the gene, it was whatever Monsanto was inserting into the gene that caused the problem. Can't be more specific than that, sorry. Did you watch the video? If you get the chance, you could probably pick up exactly what he was referring to - but he did emphatically state that it was not the gene that was the problem.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Canada banned bovine somatotropin because of the health impacts on the animals, and indirect human health concerns, but not because of the health impacts on us of the hormones in the milk we drink. It leads to more mastitis infections in cows, which mean more anti-biotics in your milk. Proteins are broken down in your stomach by protease enzymes into the building blocks of proteins- amino acids. The milk you drink already has hormone in it, whether or not the cows were given exogenous hormones to increase production.

Like I said earlier, if the proteins were surviving past the stomach, then insulin could be ingested instead of injected. If proteins easilly survived past the stomach, there would be many drugs available utilizing this route. As it is, proteins do not, read on oral insulin:
Insulin therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia