Netflix takes up 32.7% of Internet bandwidth

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Despite recent troubles, Netflix is a major force on the Internet, accounting for 32.7% of peak U.S. downstream traffic, according to a new report. Sandvine Intelligent Broadband Networks' report analyzed 200 Internet service providers in 80 countries and found that real-time entertainment apps take up 60% of peak downstream traffic, up from 50% last year. Netflix has more than half of that share. Sandvine considers the hours between 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. to be peak times.

Like others, Sandvine has also noticed a shift away from PCs to access such content. The company found 55% of traffic volume in North America is consumed on game consoles, set-top boxes, smart TVs and mobile devices. Only 45% is being accessed by laptops or PCs. Video makes up 32.6% of peak downstream mobile traffic, of which YouTube is the largest contributor.

The report comes as Netflix recently lost 800,000 paid subscribers in its most-recent quarter. The company's stock is now trading at less than a third of the amount it was in July.
See the original article on Mashable.com

Netflix takes up 32.7% of Internet bandwidth - CNN.com

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I use them. Not a bad price. The selection could be better but for $7.99 its all right. Way better deal than what physical rentals are.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So I've heard. I wish the Canadian one had the same content as the US version.

Check out this service: Unblock Us - unblock your favourite video and social websites

I have been using it for approx 2 months now, it costs five bucks a month and what it does is some DNS trickery so any time you enter Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online it tells Netflix that you are accessing the site from the US, hence you get the US version of Netflix. It also works for sites like Hulu and the BBC Web Player.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You wankers shouldn't spend so much time rotting your noggins out with the cursed boob toob anyway. It's the devils' work.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Please don't trouble me with such minutia.

rylanflmng0

Time Out
Nov 2, 2011
I use them. Not a bad price. The selection could be better but for $7.99 its all right. Way better deal than what physical rentals are.

Right, I find it the best... the most secured & reasonable one when compared to others...

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Netflix might not be top notch but it beats the hell out of anything the networks serve up as entertainment. And no commercials.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com