Is the use of the crane, wrecking ball, bulldozer and dymamite always sensible?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've gotten to thinking that systematic method of demolition of old buildings by the unemployed who are on welfare/ looking for work would make a lot more sense, in that it would create jobs offset by the value of old salvageable materials, would be one more link in the recycling chain and would help the economy. We hear incessant whining about "exporting jobs" but we never hear anyone mention "blowing up jobs". I'll bet there is lots of good wood perserved with paint and varnish, not to mention metal pipes, ducts, etc.etc.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Old buildings or buildings that don't meet code? I'm sure there are businesses out there that salvage material from demos, maybe even the demo companies...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've gotten to thinking that systematic method of demolition of old buildings by the unemployed who are on welfare/ looking for work would make a lot more sense, in that it would create jobs offset by the value of old salvageable materials, would be one more link in the recycling chain and would help the economy. We hear incessant whining about "exporting jobs" but we never hear anyone mention "blowing up jobs". I'll bet there is lots of good wood perserved with paint and varnish, not to mention metal pipes, ducts, etc.etc.

That's a cool idea. I spent a year as a Plumber a year back, and much of what I
did was replace waterlines in rental houses (usually between tenants) where
someone would break in and steal as much of the copper as they could with a
pair of bolt cutters....so some would already have experience in this field.

The thing that always puzzled me though was this. The time it took to scout out
the places they would rob, and the the actually robbery, the risk involved, etc...&
then fencing the stolen copper....most likely added up to full-time hours. Wouldn't
it have been easier to just go and get a real job? They might lose their Welfare/
Self Employed status, but might feel better at the end of the day, I'd assume.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's a cool idea. I spent a year as a Plumber a year back, and much of what I
did was replace waterlines in rental houses (usually between tenants) where
someone would break in and steal as much of the copper as they could with a
pair of bolt cutters....so some would already have experience in this field.

The thing that always puzzled me though was this. The time it took to scout out
the places they would rob, and the the actually robbery, the risk involved, etc...&
then fencing the stolen copper....most likely added up to full-time hours. Wouldn't
it have been easier to just go and get a real job? They might lose their Welfare/
Self Employed status, but might feel better at the end of the day, I'd assume.
The copper was stolen from a house across the alley from me. My neighbour caught them, the cops actualy showed up. It turns out they scope out places to steal the copper while looking for a place to rent. I have no idea what they pay for scrap but #1 from mined sources is selling for a little over $3 an lb down from $4+ a few months ago. How much could they possibly get in poundage from a rental home?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The copper was stolen from a house across the alley from me. My neighbour caught them, the cops actualy showed up. It turns out they scope out places to steal the copper while looking for a place to rent. I have no idea what they pay for scrap but #1 from mined sources is selling for a little over $3 an lb down from $4+ a few months ago. How much could they possibly get in poundage from a rental home?

I think it's a "volume" thing to make any real money. Copper is ripped off out'a houses
all around your place regularly. We'd cut the ends of the pipe off that where crushed
(from the bolt cutters they'd use), solder on a Pex adapter, and run Pex (a plastic
tubing) everywhere that we could. It's the only real defence against copper theft.

By the time someone scouts enough places, and does enough thefts, and fences the
copper.....I still think it might be easier to get a real job....but they'd lose the Welfare
benifits and have to run on someone elses time-table, I guess.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
When all your thinking about is your next crack fix, you don't think like a normal intellegent human being.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What does a normal intelligent human being think like?

Not like a crack addict.

Why.....................more like YOU............or ME.............8O

Roosevelt did similar stuff during the last great depression; New Deal. We could call it the REAL DEAL. Or the UNREAL DEAL.

The light just came on!! We could start on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Lots of old, useless CRAP to demolish there. And some new useless CRAP.

Grab crowbars, and to the barricades..................

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hear things like this a lot. As an orchardist I hear people saying those on welfare should
be made to pick apples as well. Ah, No Thanks. All I need is people who are on welfare
bruising my apples because they don't want to be there. I have enough problems with some
who pick who are not on welfare bruising fruit. I pay more I provide more opportunity and
still some just don't listen. I don't believe forced labour will make any difference either.
In concept its a good idea in practical terms maybe not. If someone gets hurt on a job site
who pays that becomes the biggest question. And yes regardless, if someone gets hurt
they have a right to compensation of some kind. The only exception would be slave
laborers and I don't think anyone wants to go there (yes I jest) no I am not advocating
we should have slave labourers, we leave that to our most reputable companies who do
business with China, where they don't have to observe the highest in labour standards.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hear things like this a lot. As an orchardist I hear people saying those on welfare should
be made to pick apples as well. Ah, No Thanks. All I need is people who are on welfare
bruising my apples because they don't want to be there. I have enough problems with some
who pick who are not on welfare bruising fruit. I pay more I provide more opportunity and
still some just don't listen. I don't believe forced labour will make any difference either.
In concept its a good idea in practical terms maybe not. If someone gets hurt on a job site
who pays that becomes the biggest question. And yes regardless, if someone gets hurt
they have a right to compensation of some kind. The only exception would be slave
laborers and I don't think anyone wants to go there (yes I jest) no I am not advocating
we should have slave labourers, we leave that to our most reputable companies who do
business with China, where they don't have to observe the highest in labour standards.

Who knows you might actually find people who are looking for work and want to work and yes the owner of the building may have to pay W.C.B. premiums- probably lots of students looking for work who would love the job. We're not going to get anywhere if we don't try!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't you have to move your wheat via the CWB?
For now but because there are foreign companies setting up corporate farms Mr Ritz figures we don't need it.

There are 27 million people in slavery on the planet today. We don't need anymore.