how to prevent breakfast Ham going slimy?

JLM
I've never been able to figure out why breakfast ham turns slimy after being in the fridge for awhile, but long before its expiry date and while it is still perfectly good to eat. I find the phenomenum a little unsavory. What is the solution to this?

petros
+1
Do you keep it in a container or bag? Ham likes to have a little air.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Do you keep it in a container or bag? Ham likes to have a little air.

Yep, in a ziploc bag. I'll rectify that right now.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Yep, in a ziploc bag. I'll rectify that right now.

Try the veggie baggies.

JLM

Try the veggie baggies.

I will.

petros
The other option is salting it but that's not so good.

darkbeaver
+1

The other option is salting it but that's not so good.

Clean the reefer, slime will hide in the dark corners. Use a UV light bulb to eliminate the biotics. Breakfast ham should be ate in the same year of manufacture. Buy low slime ham products.

petros
A 400nanometer light in the fridge is a damn good idea Thanks beav.

DurkaDurka
pickle it in rum, I likes nothing better then a rum-ham

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

pickle it in rum, I likes nothing better then a rum-ham

Arrrr Billy. I wuz just gonna say that. If yez run outa rum, whiskey'll do.

petros
Unpasteurized honey is anti-bacterial and is used as a preservative too.

talloola
eat porridge for breakfast, much healthier and cheaper. lol

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Hippie

JLM

I enjoy ham and eggs every third morning, otherwise it's bran and toast.

bluebyrd35
Rinse it under cold water and dry it well with paper towels after every use. Works.

talloola

I can't eat very much bran, or I wouldn't be able to leave the house. lol

yeah, us too, porridge every other day, in between, I have a great pancake recipe I use, and I put all of
the same toppings on the pancakes that I put on the porridge.

bananas, ground sesame seeds/flax, yogurt, a bit of granola, mixed fresh fruit, works for porridge and
pancakes, very healthy and yummy.

and orange juice, to wash down all the vitamins.

we then go till about 2 or 3 oclock till the next meal, and that is it, till a 'small' snack about 8/9.

i'm not much for ham, except in a snadwitch once in a while.

stopped eating bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, coffee a long time ago, and never looked back, and realized
how that breakfast did nothing for energy, or feeling real good for the day, all of that grease just
laid in the tummy and did nothing good at all, I should have wised up to that breakfast years ago.

if we have eggs now, with anything else, it is for dinner, and I only have one coffee a day, and that is
with afternoon meal.

nothing I have said helps you at all concerning slimy ham. Maybe take it out of the package, and
store it differently, also maybe rinse it under tap to get all the coating off before you store it.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35View Post

Rinse it under cold water and dry it well with paper towels after every use. Works.

Are you suggesting rinsing out the ham after each use? How many times do you use ham? Me, I only tend to eat it once...

JLM

I can't eat very much bran, or I wouldn't be able to leave the house. lol

yeah, us too, porridge every other day, in between, I have a great pancake recipe I use, and I put all of
the same toppings on the pancakes that I put on the porridge.

bananas, ground sesame seeds/flax, yogurt, a bit of granola, mixed fresh fruit, works for porridge and
pancakes, very healthy and yummy.

and orange juice, to wash down all the vitamins.

we then go till about 2 or 3 oclock till the next meal, and that is it, till a 'small' snack about 8/9.

i'm not much for ham, except in a snadwitch once in a while.

stopped eating bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, coffee a long time ago, and never looked back, and realized
how that breakfast did nothing for energy, or feeling real good for the day, all of that grease just
laid in the tummy and did nothing good at all, I should have wised up to that breakfast years ago.

if we have eggs now, with anything else, it is for dinner, and I only have one coffee a day, and that is
with afternoon meal.

nothing I have said helps you at all concerning slimy ham. Maybe take it out of the package, and
store it differently, also maybe rinse it under tap to get all the coating off before you store it.

I couldn't live without coffee, wholewheat toast and eggs once in awhile. I love bacon, but eat very of it, too much salt. You can avoid the grease by frying in olive oil and it's good for you too. Pancakes are empty calories...........you're hungry again in an hour.

lone wolf

I've never been able to figure out why breakfast ham turns slimy after being in the fridge for awhile, but long before its expiry date and while it is still perfectly good to eat. I find the phenomenum a little unsavory. What is the solution to this?

I'm assuming the fridge is plugged in?

bluebyrd35
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Are you suggesting rinsing out the ham after each use? How many times do you use ham? Me, I only tend to eat it once...

I usually cook a picnic ham when it comes on sale. So no, not after every use as I generally use it in casseroles and sandwiches etc. I can't see you having a problem with slimy ham if you use it only once. It should remain fresh for several days after purchasing surely.

Cooking a picnic ham makes for less salty ham, particularly if you change the water once or twice during cooking.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I'm assuming the fridge is plugged in?

Bingo!

talloola

I couldn't live without coffee, wholewheat toast and eggs once in awhile. I love bacon, but eat very of it, too much salt. You can avoid the grease by frying in olive oil and it's good for you too. Pancakes are empty calories...........you're hungry again in an hour.

no the ones I cook, but I would agree with 'most' pancakes, that is why I do the recipe I have, full
of quality ingredients, and with the added toppings, stays with us for hours.

the white ones are the empty ones, with syrup and butter, yuk, just like eating candy.

JLM

no the ones I cook, but I would agree with 'most' pancakes, that is why I do the recipe I have, full
of quality ingredients, and with the added toppings, stays with us for hours.

the white ones are the empty ones, with syrup and butter, yuk, just like eating candy.

Do you use whole wheat flour? Sure wish I could get my wife to use it (and brown rice) but to no avail!

Goober

So is that twice a week as a week has 7 days, or every 3rd day.

Lastly - Invite my brother over - Nothing will be left over.

talloola
+1

Do you use whole wheat flour? Sure wish I could get my wife to use it (and brown rice) but to no avail!

I buy 6 grain flour in ('edible island), our local wholefoods store, contains (hard red winter wheat flour, barley, whole corn, oat flour, whole rye, wheat flour), I add whole millet flour to it as well.

then I add a bit of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, 1 egg. milk, and some melted butter.

I fool around with amounts to make recipe small, so that is 'winging' it, just had to go by trial and
error till it was just right.

mix dry ingredients together, mix milk, melted butter and egg, add dry ingredients.

DON'T STIR TOO MUCH, the less you stir the more tasty the pancakes.

approx 1 cup of flour, approx 1/2 milk. for two pancakes.

very very tasty with- butter on top, yogurt, granola, mixed fresh/frozen fruit plus the juice), ground
sesame seeds/flax, few walnuts on top, cranberries.

I sprinkle the sesame seed/flax ground mixture over the top of everything, then 'enjoy'.

I have two small pans, so I fill both of them, for two nice sized pancakes, not too big, not too small.

Tastes so down-home and yummy, and you will not be hungry for a long time.

If you buy whole sesame seeds and whole flax seeds, then grind them together in the
coffee grinder, and put the ground mixture in freezer, and use each day.

Our bodies will not digest whole seeds, they need to be ground up, the whole ones
will keep in the cupboard, but the ground ones won't.
Last edited by talloola; Sep 28th, 2011 at 08:03 PM..

JLM
+1

I buy 6 grain flour in ('edible island), our local wholefoods store, contains (hard red winter wheat flour, barley, whole corn, oat flour, whole rye, wheat flour), I add whole millet flour to it as well.

Sounds good, I think I'll try to sneak some of that into the house, maybe while the wife is at bingo.

talloola

Sounds good, I think I'll try to sneak some of that into the house, maybe while the wife is at bingo.

I won't tell. lol

petros
It does sound good.

Ron in Regina

The solution? Get yourself a couple of hundred pounds of dogs. No left overs.
No slimy ham. No problem.

(P.S. Big dogs can be a handfull. That little girl in the pic is 33yrs old.)

A Bakers Dozen of Chihuahua's, or maybe forty or so of them, would take care
of most of your left over ham issue I would assume.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Sep 28th, 2011 at 10:04 PM..

#juan
I don't know what breakfast ham is. We usually buy an eight or ten pound
smoked ham. You can buy either the but or the shank portion. I normally
put the whole ham in a large pot and cover it with water, then simmer it
for about three hours. Pour off the water and remove the skin and any fat.
I would then brush on a honey garlic glaze and bake the ham at 325
degrees for about three hours. This method gets rid of a lot of the salt
and we never get slime.