how to prevent breakfast Ham going slimy?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never been able to figure out why breakfast ham turns slimy after being in the fridge for awhile, but long before its expiry date and while it is still perfectly good to eat. I find the phenomenum a little unsavory. What is the solution to this?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I enjoy ham and eggs every third morning, otherwise it's bran and toast. :smile:

I can't eat very much bran, or I wouldn't be able to leave the house. lol

yeah, us too, porridge every other day, in between, I have a great pancake recipe I use, and I put all of
the same toppings on the pancakes that I put on the porridge.

bananas, ground sesame seeds/flax, yogurt, a bit of granola, mixed fresh fruit, works for porridge and
pancakes, very healthy and yummy.

and orange juice, to wash down all the vitamins.

we then go till about 2 or 3 oclock till the next meal, and that is it, till a 'small' snack about 8/9.

i'm not much for ham, except in a snadwitch once in a while.

stopped eating bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, coffee a long time ago, and never looked back, and realized
how that breakfast did nothing for energy, or feeling real good for the day, all of that grease just
laid in the tummy and did nothing good at all, I should have wised up to that breakfast years ago.

if we have eggs now, with anything else, it is for dinner, and I only have one coffee a day, and that is
with afternoon meal.

nothing I have said helps you at all concerning slimy ham. Maybe take it out of the package, and
store it differently, also maybe rinse it under tap to get all the coating off before you store it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't eat very much bran, or I wouldn't be able to leave the house. lol

yeah, us too, porridge every other day, in between, I have a great pancake recipe I use, and I put all of
the same toppings on the pancakes that I put on the porridge.

bananas, ground sesame seeds/flax, yogurt, a bit of granola, mixed fresh fruit, works for porridge and
pancakes, very healthy and yummy.

and orange juice, to wash down all the vitamins.

we then go till about 2 or 3 oclock till the next meal, and that is it, till a 'small' snack about 8/9.

i'm not much for ham, except in a snadwitch once in a while.

stopped eating bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, coffee a long time ago, and never looked back, and realized
how that breakfast did nothing for energy, or feeling real good for the day, all of that grease just
laid in the tummy and did nothing good at all, I should have wised up to that breakfast years ago.

if we have eggs now, with anything else, it is for dinner, and I only have one coffee a day, and that is
with afternoon meal.

nothing I have said helps you at all concerning slimy ham. Maybe take it out of the package, and
store it differently, also maybe rinse it under tap to get all the coating off before you store it.

I couldn't live without coffee, wholewheat toast and eggs once in awhile. I love bacon, but eat very of it, too much salt. You can avoid the grease by frying in olive oil and it's good for you too. Pancakes are empty calories...........you're hungry again in an hour.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I've never been able to figure out why breakfast ham turns slimy after being in the fridge for awhile, but long before its expiry date and while it is still perfectly good to eat. I find the phenomenum a little unsavory. What is the solution to this?
I'm assuming the fridge is plugged in? ;-)

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Are you suggesting rinsing out the ham after each use? How many times do you use ham? Me, I only tend to eat it once...

I usually cook a picnic ham when it comes on sale. So no, not after every use as I generally use it in casseroles and sandwiches etc. I can't see you having a problem with slimy ham if you use it only once. It should remain fresh for several days after purchasing surely.

Cooking a picnic ham makes for less salty ham, particularly if you change the water once or twice during cooking.