Firefox 5 out rather soon after 4 was released

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Firefox 5 out rather soon after 4 was released
Posted via Canadian Content

If you're a Firefox user, you may have recently been notified of an update to the software letting you know that it is now recommended to upgrade to the latest stable version of Firefox 5. Did you blink twice? Indeed soon after the release of another major version, the final release of version 5 is here. Many are now asking why their favourite Internet browser has jumped from 3.

Read More >>

Superabound

Jun 23, 2011
Im guessing the upgrade was to fix whatever problem caused Firefox 4 to randomly lock up and take up to a full minute to open in the first place. I wish theyd stop adding unnecessary functionality to the damn thing and actually fix the GIGANTIC memory leak Firefox has had since literally day 1.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I heard some complaints about Firefox 4, but I haven't any real issues with it. I was loyal to IE for many years and preferred it to the rather sluggish Netscape Navigator, but since switching to Firefox I rarely use IE.

Great article Chris!

Zooky

Jun 24, 2011
Not compatible with Google Toolbar? I recognize that the ball rests with the Google Toolbar folks but it sure has placed any thoughts of moving to 5.0 on hold. T'would have been nice if they had co-ordinate the release both of them. After all, isn't Google is Google........?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hi Zooky. Welcome to CC.

Not compatible with Google Toolbar? I recognize that the ball rests with the Google Toolbar folks but it sure has placed any thoughts of moving to 5.0 on hold. T'would have been nice if they had co-ordinate the release both of them. After all, isn't Google is Google........?

As I understand it, Google and Firefox work or worked very closely together. Both of their head offices are down the road from each other.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Whatever.

It's still the only browser openly adaptable to plugins like http://getfoxyproxy.org enabling users in non-free nations to bypass their national internet censorship firewalls.

IE can't and Chrome won't adapt that way without wrist-twisting.

They gummed it on release 4.x, like the way Microsoft gummed it on Vista, and just like how Microsoft got Win-7 out ASAP to recover from the Vista bungle, so also did Firefox get 5.x ASAP upon understanding the issue.

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Firefox 8. Out fast. lol