The Junior Hockey Thread

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My condolences. At least your Warriors and my Tigers won't have to meet next round provided MJ makes it through (I see they are down a game)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Although I see all of the energy of junior hockey, I don't like it as much as the NHL, but I
do see the enthusiasm and desire of the young players on their journey to the top, and as I
love hockey 'period', I enjoy the juniors too.

When we lived in New Westminster, years ago, we went to many of the new west bruins games,
along with our daughters, whom all played hockey as well.

Our vancouver giants took a dive this year, finally, and thats OK, so I'll have to regroup
and figure out who to cheer for, and from what I hear, (because I don't follow all year), the portland
winterhawks seem to be the strength of the league, so I will follow them and see
how they do, then cheer for whatever team
comes out of the west.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Nice to see the Tigers go into Red Deer and take the first two games. Even nicer to see Saskatoon down 2 - 0

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I thought for sure the road to the MC went through Saskatoon this year. Nice to see the Tigers come back in game five.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm pleased to see our hometown SeaDogs finished ranked No1 in Canada, with several players likely to go at or near the top in the NHL draft.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The World Junior championships is my favorite hockey event. After the world Juniors, I have trouble watching the NHL for a week or two.
Watching those young men play their hearts out puts me right off watching a couple dozen millionaires in an NHL game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The World Junior championships is my favorite hockey event. After the world Juniors, I have trouble watching the NHL for a week or two.
Watching those young men play their hearts out puts me right off watching a couple dozen millionaires in an NHL game.

Canada is playing Sweden today and we are early in the first period. I love watching the juniors too, juan. I do keep in mind though, that our kids also play with the hope that one day they too will be among those millionaire NHL stars. :smile:

Just watched the Canadian women defeat Finland 2 - 0 in a great game for the ladies.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

all of those millionaires were playing their hearts out in juniors not long ago, and hoping to become
a millionaire someday, with all of that hard work, it is a journey, and when they become millionaires
they play just as hard, but smarter and stronger, they are the same guys, but you can't see that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
all of those millionaires were playing their hearts out in juniors not long ago, and hoping to become
a millionaire someday, with all of that hard work, it is a journey, and when they become millionaires
they play just as hard, but smarter and stronger, they are the same guys, but you can't see that.

Talloola I have the world junior championship games on tape from the last fifteen year at least. It goes without saying that most
of the current NHL players were once juniors. I don't agree that they all play just as hard after they become millionaires. Some
of them seem to relax a bit once they have that big contract.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sweden managed to get by the Canadians today and will get the bye for the final. The Canadians will go the long route through Germany in the quarter-finals, hopefully making it to the final. Canada played well during the first couple of periods but Sweden came on strong in the third to score two goals within 38 seconds of each other and our kids couldn't come back to tie the game.

Final score: 3 - 2 Sweden.

Interesting to note that one of PK's two brothers, Malcom, is one of the goalies for Canada and was playing in today's game.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola I have the world junior championship games on tape from the last fifteen year at least. It goes without saying that most
of the current NHL players were once juniors. I don't agree that they all play just as hard after they become millionaires. Some
of them seem to relax a bit once they have that big contract.

They get smarter, more mature, bigger, heavier, and learn how to play the game better, don't have
to use that teen age physical energy all the time, the game can be played between the ears as well,
with a more thorough type of play.

I disagree 100% that because they are making money, they relax, that is old and stale, and just
plain red neck b.s. As soon as they would become satisfied about making money and
become lazy, they would be gone, and they certainly don't want that.

I love junior hockey too, but I can't take on that attitude about players playing a certain way
because they make money, just doesn't make sense, there are always players just waiting to step
into their shoes, as soon as they make a mistep, they try their hardest all the time.

Mature grown men, don't look like teen age players, that is true, but it is a different more
grown up type of play, not lazier.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As soon as they would become satisfied about making money and
become lazy, they would be gone, and they certainly don't want that.

You've said this a number of times before. Players like Spezza, Penner and especially Kovalev prove you wrong.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You've said this a number of times before. Players like Spezza, Penner and especially Kovalev prove you wrong.

Of course anyone can point out certain players who are not the best, these a
human beings, not machines, and kovalev was a great player for many years, one
of the best in the world, now he is in the twilight and should be playing golf.

Kovalev is about ready to retire, but some teams just won't let him leave.
Penner is not consistent, but also team managers can't seem to see that.
I like Spezza, but his team was very pitiful this season.

If we were talking about machines I could see your point, but these are human beings, and a hockey
career is a human journey, and many influences and situations arise, for many reasons, many of them
being injuries, and many of them as 'time', which begins to slow them down.

There is no common sense in saying that the NHL are a bunch of lazy millionaires, but when they
were juniors they were refreshing and energetic and much more enjoyable to watch, all that 'again'
tells me, is that people are 'jealous' of how much money the players make compared to them, and
don't have a clue what went into that career at all.

If one likes juniors better, 'fine', then watch juniors, and enjoy it, good for you, or whomever,
but what is the point of slamming the NHL and making comparisons, these are kids trying to get
to the NHL, so that is where is gets really 'wierd', because as juniors they are great, but as
soon as they put on the NHL uniform they are lazy?

then, if one thinks bad of the NHL, why would they watch it, I know I wouldn't if I thought that
way about them, but I happen to enjoy both.