Kenny Dalglish is candidate for permanent Liverpool job

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish was unveiled last week as Liverpool's caretaker boss until the end of the season following the departure of Roy Hodgson.

Hodgson, who took Fulham to the first-ever Europa League Final in 2010, in which they lost 2-1 against Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, took over from Rafa Benitez as Liverpool manager during the summer.

But a string of bad results which has left Liverpool, England's most successful team, in the lower half of the Premier League table and had them on their lowest points tally for a Liverpool side in the top flight going into the New Year since season 1954-55, forced Hodgson to leave the club last week "by mutual consent" after a 3-1 defeat against Blackburn Rovers, the team which Hodgson also managed in the late Nineties.

During some matches, Liverpool fans made their feelings known about who they wanted to lead their club by chanting Kenny Dalglish's name.

To Liverpool fans, Scotsman Dalglish is an absolute legend - they know him as King Kenny. He played for Liverpool between 1977 and 1990, scoring 118 goals in 355 appearances. He also became player manager of the team in 1985 and stayed as boss until 1991. During his time at the club, Liverpool won 8 league titles. Their 1990 title remains the last time they have been crowned English champions. Liverpool have also won the European Cup more times than any other English teams, being triumphant in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005. Four of those victories came with Dalglish playing for them.

But now, following the departure of Hodgson, King Kenny returns only as caretaker manager until the end of the season. But there are calls to offer Dalglish the job permanently, and many inside the world of football are sure that Dalglish, with his absolute love and encyclopaedic knowledge of the team, will take it.

Dalglish's first game in charge as caretaker manager was on Sunday against arch-rivals Manchester United in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. A penalty awarded after just 31 seconds and scored by Ryan Giggs gave United a derserved 1-0 victory, and Liverpool also had Steven Gerrard sent off for a reckless tackle on England teammate Michael Carrick.

Kenny Dalglish is candidate for permanent Liverpool job

BBC Sport
Monday 10th January 2011

The Second Coming: Kenny Dalglish was presented to the media at Anfield on Monday

New Liverpool caretaker manager Kenny Dalglish will be a candidate for the post on a permanent basis.

The Scot is in charge until the end of the season, with director of football Damien Comolli tasked with finding Roy Hodgson's long-term successor.

Asked whether former Reds player and manager Dalglish would be considered Comolli said: "The answer is yes."

Dalglish added: "If I do really well and someone better than me comes along I will have no problem whatsoever."

Dalglish, who won eight league titles as a player and a manager with Liverpool between 1977 and 1991, applied for the job in the summer after the departure of Rafael Benitez, only to be overlooked in favour of Hodgson.

But when a dismal run of results brought a premature end to Hodgson's reign on Saturday the club turned to the Anfield legend to take charge until the end of the season.

That gives Dalglish a chance to stake his claim for the long-term job while Comolli scours the globe for a viable alternative.

Asked what the criteria was for identifying the next permanent manager, Comolli said: "Competence, someone who will fit into the club and playing philosophy and huge on man-management - the three things most important to the club.

"It is open to people that we think fit into what I have described and Kenny obviously fits into that category.

"There will be a thorough search of what we want to do, where we want to get to and we will talk to Kenny about it and see where it takes us."

Kenny Dalglish (centre) lifts the European Cup in 1981 with his Liverpool teammates Graeme Souness (left) and Alan Hansen after the 1-0 win over Real Madrid in the Final. In the late 70s and early 80s Liverpool were the dominant force in Europe - the 1981 victory was the third time Liverpool were crowned Champions of Europe since 1977.

Dalglish, speaking to journalists at Anfield on Monday for the first time since he was appointed, insisted he is happy with his current caretaker role and denied seeking any assurances for his long-term future when he was offered the job by Liverpool co-owner John Henry.

"My understanding is that it's until the end of the season and that's no problem for me," said Dalglish, whose first match in charge ended in a 1-0 FA Cup third-round defeat to arch rivals Manchester United on Sunday.

"I've heard stories about demanding this and demanding that, but when I was phoned on Saturday morning and asked if I'd take the job it was a straightforward 'yes' and that was it for me.

"There's no conditions, no promises, there's nothing. I came back to work at a club that myself and my family are eternally grateful for many things they have done for us and when I was asked to do it there was no way I was going to be disrespectful and say 'no'.

"I am here to be of help to the club and if that means Kenny Dalglish is not the manager that is not a problem.

"If at the end of the season the owners have their eyes on someone else then I have no problem stepping aside because if I didn't I wouldn't be true to my word.

"I would do it readily if it meant the club improving."

Liverpool will resume their stuttering Premier League campaign at Blackpool on Wednesday.

And Dalglish joked that in the current climate he may be fortunate to see out the season with the Reds.

"If I can get to the end of the season then I'll probably end up as one of the longest-serving managers in the Premier League any way," he said.

Comolli, who has previously worked for Arsenal and Tottenham, was appointed by new owners New England Sports Ventures (NESV) in November to help the club identify potential transfer targets.

But the Frenchman insisted Dalglish would have the final say on all new signings.

"As I have always said, if Kenny is not happy with a player we think could make the team better, or if he thinks it is not the right timing, it will always be down to the manager to say he is not happy."

Dalglish said he has not had time to think about transfer targets yet.

"I am sure the owners have an opinion about the football club, they own it so they are entitled to, but that is why they put Damien in his position and me in mine," he said.

"They will leave it in our hands as to whether we need players or not."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport

Last edited: