Another Cash Grab by Cable TV

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I've been watching the ads for Roger's Sportsnet 1, for the last few weeks without realizing its implications. It turns out that the new network is one designed to pull programs that already exist on other channels into a new subscription channel. Thus the Blue Jays have pretty much disappeared from the channels I was already subscribing to and are now available only on the new channel. Apparently the same thing is to happen to Oilers' and Flames' games.

I don't really care about the baseball, except that my wife likes to watch it. But requiring that I now pay extra to watch my hockey team is going a bit far. I have already phoned the CRTC over this and plan to phone my MP. I would like to suggest that anyone interested do the same. I am getting a bit tired of the endless ways TV providers in Canada find ways to suck cash out of their customers.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've been watching the ads for Roger's Sportsnet 1, for the last few weeks without realizing its implications. It turns out that the new network is one designed to pull programs that already exist on other channels into a new subscription channel. Thus the Blue Jays have pretty much disappeared from the channels I was already subscribing to and are now available only on the new channel. Apparently the same thing is to happen to Oilers' and Flames' games.

I don't really care about the baseball, except that my wife likes to watch it. But requiring that I now pay extra to watch my hockey team is going a bit far. I have already phoned the CRTC over this and plan to phone my MP. I would like to suggest that anyone interested do the same. I am getting a bit tired of the endless ways TV providers in Canada find ways to suck cash out of their customers.
I couldn't agree with you more Bar.

I was unaware that they were corralling sports, into select channels.

This just follows along with the ignorant practice of "Infomercials" on pay channels.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
What do you expect from "Rogers" if they can find a way to squeeze another buck out of the cash cow they'll use it.
Throw the blame back at the CRTC & the powers that be to allow the cable providers to ride roughshod over industry.
Your example of subcription cable is one but how about the big one the changeover to all Digital siginal over the tried & true Analog.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What do you expect from "Rogers" if they can find a way to squeeze another buck out of the cash cow they'll use it.
Throw the blame back at the CRTC & the powers that be to allow the cable providers to ride roughshod over industry.
Your example of subcription cable is one but how about the big one the changeover to all Digital siginal over the tried & true Analog.
Maybe the analog to digital conversion is a question of bandwith availability????

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

If you don't like it cancel your cable.
Cable is a business not a public service

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Your right, can't tilt against windmills to the "new world" standard. Still it doesn't change the fact after the changeover, for anyone to get whatever signals are still left over the air will require additional ancillary equipment on older product. Thus the simplest way to get digit is thru the cable co & whatever converter boxes they deem are necessary. Getting back to the original post, it makes it easy for the cable cos. to fragment the digital service, to the point of creating a subscription service for any & all feeds. Here's hoping the the CRTC is extremely vigilant as August 31 2011 approaches.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Your right, can't tilt against windmills to the "new world" standard. Still it doesn't change the fact after the changeover, for anyone to get whatever signals are still left over the air will require additional ancillary equipment on older product. Thus the simplest way to get digit is thru the cable co & whatever converter boxes they deem are necessary. Getting back to the original post, it makes it easy for the cable cos. to fragment the digital service, to the point of creating a subscription service for any & all feeds. Here's hoping the the CRTC is extremely vigilant as August 31 2011 approaches.
Agreed. I see cable costs closing in on the Hundreds of dollars in our future, as they categorize programing of all kinds. Forcing you to subscribe to multiple packages, containing one or two channels that you like, (only to ignore the bulk of) but still pay full fair.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Sarcasm.

Conservatism = Corporate protection.

Liberalism = Consumer protection.

Way to side with the consumer Liberalman.

It's Liberal corporate protection so the consumer can have more choice but if they don't want to pay the consumer should go to the competition but don't try to tie the hands of business.

If a group of consumers don't like the policies of a business complaining is a useless exercise that works some of the time.

If you look at the Rogers negative billing fiasco years back complaining tied up the phone lines but when the customers started to cancel their accounts that's when the company backed off because it's all about the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's Liberal corporate protection so the consumer can have more choice but if they don't want to pay the consumer should go to the competition but don't try to tie the hands of business.
Ummm, ya. Segregating similar content broadcasts, into one package, and charging extra, isn't choice.

If a group of consumers don't like the policies of a business complaining is a useless exercise that works some of the time.
I guess that means it isn't useless. Now you're starting to sound Liberal again. (Read double speak.)

If you look at the Rogers negative billing fiasco years back complaining tied up the phone lines but when the customers started to cancel their accounts that's when the company backed off because it's all about the bottom line.
Yes, yes it is.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Ummm, ya. Segregating similar content broadcasts, into one package, and charging extra, isn't choice.

The only way to change this is a boycott but this will never happen because too many people like their TV shows.

The only way to try to fight this is for the government to open up more licences for more cable companies that offer paying for individual channels

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The only way to change this is a boycott but this will never happen because too many people like their TV shows.

The only way to try to fight this is for the government to open up more licences for more cable companies that offer paying for individual channels
Good luck with that. Teddies legacy would not be amused, and lets not forget all Teddies friends...like good ol Don Jean.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sooner or later, when they're all done gobbling up smaller companies with better service, there will be just a few cable "providers". Here, they're offline at least a few hours each week (but bill us for full time anyhow) and take the phone off the hook so we can't gripe. They're let all the service techs go and moved the office to the mall - and head office to wherever Eastlink hides out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We had a perfectly good state of the art fiber optic/satellite linked public system we just finished paying for it and owned outright, then sold it for magic beans, penny whistles and moon pies, allowed deregulating the quality standards, deregulated content, subsidized, gave preferential treatment to broadcast sports programming receiving amateur production in exchange and now question and complain they don't cut the mustard and are managed by idiots and need your money?

TV (especially cable) really does rot the mind.