Joe Cole leaves Chelsea to sign for Liverpool, the "biggest club in England."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Joe Cole leaves Chelsea to sign for Liverpool, the "biggest club in England."

England midfielder Joe Cole has left Chelsea to join Liverpool. The Londoner left his native city to sign a four-year deal and will be paid £80,000 a week. He also snubbed offers from London teams Arsenal and Spurs.

Of his move, the 28-year-old Cockney, who has also played for West Ham, said: 'I could have stayed at Chelsea because the fans loved me and I won things, but I wanted to challenge myself and when I knew Liverpool were interested it was a no-brainer because they are the biggest club in the country.'

Liverpool are the most successful English team, having won more trophies than any other. They have won a joint-record eighteen league titles (a record they hold with Manchester United), seven FA Cups, seven League Cups, three UEFA Cups (a joint European record) and five European Cups. They last won the European Cup in 2005 and have won that tournament more times than any other English team. They may have won, alongside Manchester United, the joint-most number of league titles, but they haven't won one since 1990.

Since that time, Leeds United have won the league title once (1992), Blackburn Rovers have won it once (1995), Chelsea have won it three times (2005, 2006 and 2010), Arsenal have won it four times (1991, 1998, 2002 and 2004), and mighty Manchester United have won it an incredible 11 times (1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008 and 2009).

But with Liverpool's new English manager Roy Hodgson signing Cole, probably the most technically gifted English player, and bringing in several other new names to the club, including the young Englishmen Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling, coupled with the likelihood that two of Liverpool's star players - Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres - are likely to stay after being wanted by Real Madrid and Chelsea respectively, Liverpool will be fairly confident of being crowned English champions, for a record 19th time, for the first time in 21 years at the end of the coming campaign.

Cole also admitted that it will take him a few weeks to understand the Liverpool accent.

Gerrard, who reportedly persuaded his England team mate Cole into joining the club,who has been linked with a summer move to Real Madrid, committed himself to the club yesterday after talks with Hodgson, who also travelled to Ibiza last week to speak with striker Fernando Torres during his holiday after Spain's World Cup win.

Joe Cole: I left Chelsea to sign for Liverpool because they are the biggest club in England

By Sportsmail Reporter
21st July 2010
Daily Mail

Welcome to the club, lad: Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson meets new signing Joe Cole at the team's training camp in Switzerland

Joe Cole has revealed he signed for Liverpool because they are the 'biggest club in England'.

The England midfielder officially signed his four-year deal - worth £80,000 a week - after leaving Chelsea this summer.

And he has spoken for the first time about his reasons for joining Liverpool - and snubbing a move to Arsenal and Spurs.

Red alert: Liverpool new boy Joe Cole, shown here holding the team's new shirt, said he left Chelsea to sign for the biggest club in England

The new Liverpool No 10 said: 'I could have stayed at Chelsea because the fans loved me and I won things, but I wanted to challenge myself and when I knew Liverpool were interested it was a no-brainer because they are the biggest club in the country.

'I set myself a deadline to make a decision and when I made it I sent a text to (Liverpool's managing director) Christian Purslow and Steven Gerrard and then turned my phone off.

I know I have made the right decision and I am looking forward to the challenge. This is a challenge for me. I have played in London all my life.'

'This is a massive club. I tried to take everything out of the equation, take the financial and location side out and just thought in football terms.

'I thought about the semi-final of the Champions League in 2005 (for Chelsea against Liverpool) when I ran on to the field and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I was thinking about playing in that atmosphere every week and that swung it for me.

Breath of fresh air: Cole says he can't wait to get started with new Reds boss Roy Hodgson

'You talk to Liverpool players and talk about the European nights. I experienced it as an opponent and it was immense. To go out there and play in that atmosphere every week will be phenomenal.'

Cole revealed that he is exciting about working under new Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson, who replaced Rafa Benitez at the end of the season.

He added: 'I had a chat with the gaffer about football and was impressed with him. The club has had Spanish and French managers over the years and I think it's a breath of fresh air to get an Englishman in.

'The club finished seventh last year, which wasn't good enough, and he explained where the club wants to go. I jumped on board because with the players we have here and the players we are looking to bring in, it's definitely going in the right direction.

Thumbs up: Cole declared he was delighted to hear captain Steven Gerrard will stay at Anfield

'I want to go out there and to run and fight for the lads and the fans. That's what I'll always do and Roy is the man who can make sure we are a nice unit as a team.

'It's all about us and being together as a team and having the spirit which can take you a long way. If you add that to the quality players we've got here we can go a long way.'

Cole has also welcomed the news that he will be playing alongside Steven Gerrard next season after the Liverpool skipper committed his future to the club.

A young Joe Cole, in action for West Ham United back in 1999, with then West Ham manager Harry Redknapp

Liverpool are England's most successful football team, having won the most trophies. They jointly hold the record (with Manchester United) for the number of times that they have been crowned English champions - 18. Despite this, they haven't won the league since 1990. They have also won the European Cup five times (in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005), which is more times than any other English team, with only Real Madrid and AC Milan having won it more times; the FA Cup seven times (1965, 1974, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2001, and 2006); the League Cup seven times (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 2001 and 2003); and the UEFA Cup three times (1973, 1976 and 2001), a record they share with Juventus and Inter Milan.

He said: 'That was the best bit of news I could have had. I know Stevie, he is Liverpool through and through and I know from playing with and against him for the last 10 years what a quality player he is.

'I know how much this club means to him. I think players can play for other clubs but with Liverpool you have to live and breathe it. It's that kind of a place. I am excited by the challenge.

Let's get started: Cole wants to set the Premier League alight with new team-mate Gerrard

'I am moving my family and everyone is excited and booking their weekends up here.

I am going to make it work.'

'We've just had a young baby girl, but I'm 28 now and I have a good family around me. I know people will make me feel welcome and the response I have had has been amazing.

'I just want to get involved. When you move to a new club it's important to immerse yourself into everything about it and that's what I'll be looking to do. I know the fans are great with the players and I will fight to try and win trophies for this club.'

Cole, who has spent his entire a career in London with West Ham and Chelsea, says he has no problems moving to Merseyside - particularly after the seal approval from Kop legend Jamie Carragher.

He said: 'That's as good as it gets, isn't it? I've always got on well with Scousers. I actually roomed with a Scouser for a year at Lilleshall - Ian Armstrong who went on to move to Liverpool.

I can be so good for you: Cole, who loves Scouse banter after Jamie Carragher's family sang the Minder tune to his Dad George, wants to lift the title next at Anfield

'I know I'll have to take a few weeks to understand the accents. I don't know how the Spaniards have coped with it. I have always enjoyed good banter with them.

'I remember on an England trip when I walked into the players' bar after a game and Carra's family were there singing the Minder song because my dad's name is George Cole. I do like the Scouse wit.'

Cole also sent out a rallying call for the Liverpool fans, saying: 'I know what they want and know they want a team to be proud of. I'll go out there every day and live and breathe the club and give my all.

'I just want to get myself fit. I'm a bit behind in my training work but I want to get fit and help the team to achieve something. I want to be part of a team that's capable of doing great things.'

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: