2010 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Thought I would start this thread as I can continue to post under it rather than have a new thread for each game. Don't mean to ruffle feathers or upset anyone but football is my passion and I do post a lot about it so one thread makes sense to me. Hope the mods don't mind me starting another one. Maybe they can fold the two other threads into this one.

And now on with the game news.........

It looks like Sask’s loss of Paul LaPolice - their former offensive line co-ordinator - is Winnipeg’s gain. The Bombers look like a completely different team this year. I recognized Paul’s style in many of the plays tonight, having seen them so often when he was with my team. His decision to start former BC Lion, Buck Pierce, at first glance looks to be a good one. Buck was solid tonight. He ran when he saw an opening and got a couple of important first downs doing so. He remembered to slide into a tackle thus protecting his head better. He threw for over 400 yards, and he looked happy and relaxed on the field.

The Bomber defense sacked Kevin Glenn so many times, I lost track and otherwise bedevilled the Ti-Cats out of play after play. The day did not start out that way, however.

On the first play of the game, Marcus Thigpen blew past all Bomber defenders on the kick-off return to charge down the field for a 92 yard return and a TD. The Bombers weren’t able to run the kick off out of the end zone on the following play, and the Ti-Cats led 8 to 0. Things started to go downhill for Hamilton after that.

Terence Edwards was the main man for Pierce tonight, showing both speed and agility. Fred Reid ran for over a hundred yards, most of which were made in one single hand-off when he managed to skip through the defense and tear off down field before the Cats finally managed to catch him.

Hamilton’s only other highlight was yet another kick-off return and TD by none other than Marcus Thigpen. This time he ate up 119 yards before loping into the end zone. Thigpen is a joy to watch as he dodges tackles while zigging and zagging through the lines looking for open field where he hits his stride and is gone like the wind.

At times the game looked like a comedy of errors as one team would give up the ball only to recover it on the next play but have it taken away again on a challenge. It was almost hilarious. The game was rife with turnovers.

It was a sweltering close day in Winnipeg and you could see how exhausting it was for the players. The Bombers managed to keep their strength up till close to the end but Hamilton looked completely worn out by mid-fourth quarter. The number of penalties that Hamilton took in the last quarter was a measure, I believe, of their exhaustion – they were pretty stupid penalties.
All in all, I would say Hamilton has a lot of work ahead of them. They did not look like a cohesive unit tonight and they played like amateurs at times. The Bombers looked much better in comparison but they too need to keep working if they hope to reach the calibre of either the Riders or the Alouettes.

Congrats to all Bomber fans, it looks like you have much to cheer about this year.

Cheer up Ti-Cat fans, it is only the first game and I have faith in Marcel and the team.

Final score: 49 to 29 for the Bombers.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
BC 25 - Edmonton 10

Way to go Lions and congrats to all Lions fans. The Lions looked solid and definitely ready for the new season.

No flies on McCallum this year - he was 6 for 6 in field goals. Likewise cudos to former Argo, Jamal Roberston, he looks to be a great pick for the Lions this year. Casey Printers had a bit of trouble slipping and sliding but still managed an impressive show and did not throw any interceptions. BC also has a very solid receiving core with the return of Paris Jackson, Geroy Simon, Armstrong and Arsenault.

Edmonton on the other hand fumbled and tumbled their way through the game. At times they made great plays only to give up yards because of a penalty. Rickie Ray was sacked at least three times. However, turnovers were the true downfall of the Esks in their season opener. Better luck next time, Esk fans.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That was an especially lackluster performance by the Esks. Aside from a few long runs by Robertson, BC wasn't much different. Not sure if we saw good defensive performances or poor offenses.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I've got some good news!

A viewer posted a channel on justin.tv and broadcasts CFL games. I watched the Lions win over the Eskimos 25-10. Exciting as usual. Hopefully, I will now be able to catch up and watch more action.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
there was lots of slipping and sliding out there, but they did explain that it is brand new turf,
and takes a while to break it in, hence the slipping, and also it was raining.

Lions were not magnificent, but they were solid. No interceptions, and good defense. Those 6 field goals
were impressive for sure, and he also punted a couple of super ones that put edmonton way back down the
field.

Wally Buono was very happy with his teams performance.

A good start to the season.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I've got some good news!

A viewer posted a channel on justin.tv and broadcasts CFL games. I watched the Lions win over the Eskimos 25-10. Exciting as usual. Hopefully, I will now be able to catch up and watch more action.

That is super news, gopher, very happy to hear that you can watch the games.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Good the Leos won that one. The next two are against Saskatchewan and Montreal. BC is not at their level, at least for now, so the win against the Esks provides some wiggle room.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Good the Leos won that one. The next two are against Saskatchewan and Montreal. BC is not at their level, at least for now, so the win against the Esks provides some wiggle room.

I do agree with you, Kreskin. I watched every game closely and not one of the teams I saw so far has the caliber of play that Montreal and Saskatchewan showed in their season opener.

Not to take anything away from the other teams, many of them have great potential and I am especially happy to see that Winnipeg looks to have figured things out. Now if Hamilton, Toronto and Calgary can get it together, we could be in for a very exciting CFL season. I sure hope so.

The Lions looked good on Sunday. The defense is as good if not a bit better than their line-up last year. They have some truly great receivers and with Jamal Robertson on the ground they have the capability of uping their win/loss ratio this year.

Rickie Ray needs better protection. The Esk defense has to play tighter ball. They have to eliminate the word turn-over from their vocabulary and the field and they have to start playing by the rules. Turn-overs and penalties kill a team faster than anything. When you see a team racking up penalty totals equaling a TD, you know they are in trouble. Penalties take the spirit out of a team. How heartbreaking is it to score a touchdown only to have it nullified by a stupid mindless penalty. Do that once too often and you can almost see the slump in the players shoulders. (The Ti-Cats in the final minutes of the last quarter, come to mind).

I am glad to see Arkee still rushing for them, he always provides great entertainment. I like their new rookie receiver, whose name escapes me for the moment, Ray went to him often during the game and he was solid.

But then its early days and the season is young - anything can happen. I love the CFL. :smile:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Thanx for the congrats, folks. On that very friendly channel, I asked if anyone could remember Conredge Holloway and a couple of other guys. Nobody was old enough to remember them or the rules CFL had in the 1960s. The game was quite different back then: not quite as quick or exciting, but it was a continuous game without all the penalties or stoppages it has today. It was also more of a low scoring game.

Too bad American TV stopped showing it after 1970 or so.

Am now looking forward to the rest of the reason.

By the way, one last thing: please list for me for your favorite CFL websites. Which ones tell you what you need to know about the league, teams, and which include good action photos or videos. Thanx.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am very excited about the start of the CFL season, I always look forward to it. Over the last couple of years I have grown from just a Riders fan to a football whether it is CFL or NFL (although the Riders are my priority!)
I was so proud of the opening game with SK and Mont. both teams played an outstanding game! I hope both teams get the attention of the other 6 teams and really raise the calibre of the league. This season is going to be fantastic!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Thanx for the congrats, folks. On that very friendly channel, I asked if anyone could remember Conredge Holloway and a couple of other guys. Nobody was old enough to remember them or the rules CFL had in the 1960s. The game was quite different back then: not quite as quick or exciting, but it was a continuous game without all the penalties or stoppages it has today. It was also more of a low scoring game.

Too bad American TV stopped showing it after 1970 or so.

Am now looking forward to the rest of the reason.

By the way, one last thing: please list for me for your favorite CFL websites. Which ones tell you what you need to know about the league, teams, and which include good action photos or videos. Thanx.
There aren't many good websites. I would think your best sources would be cfl.ca and tsn.ca.

Those were some interesting years. The QB's were pretty good. Joe Theisman and Ralph (Deiter) Brock were great. Even that guy, what's his name.. Warren Moon. Even the QB turned US Congressman, J.C. Watts.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's a pretty good site. Lots of info.

It is a great site, Kreskin. You can get team stats, a PDF of CFL rules, team rosters and much more. I also belong to the online forum there. Each team in the CFL also has a website. For the Riders it is Riderville.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Whoa! Pretty exciting end to second quarter in the Toronto/Winnipeg game. With Winnipeg ahead by a single point, the Argos returned the kick off by Winnipeg with one of their own to put it in the end zone for a single point and a tied game.

17 - 17

Game started off kind of slow with Argos ahead 9 points on the strength of their kicker, Grant Shaw, who put three thru the uprights for the points. The Argos would go on to score a TD before the Bombers decided to get involved in the game as the second quarter got underway.

Edwards danced into the end zone after a 21 yard pass from Buck Pierce to start things off. Then, with 2nd and inches, Buck took off on a 43 yard run and another TD for the Bombers. Just that fast things had turned around.

Late in the 2nd, the Bombers mananged to get downfield far enough for a field goal to put them up by one point. Score 17 - 16 for the Bombers and they looked to take the lead into the half when all heck broke loose on the kick off return.

Second half just started.

The Argos just won their first game since Sept. 11, 2009. They scored two more TDs in the third, one on a run by the QB, Lemon and one on a 117 yard punt return by Chad Owens. After a two point safety conceded by the Bombers, the Argos led 33 - 27. Then, with less than a minute to go in the 4th, they put three more points on the board off the foot of Grant Owen.

36 -27, Toronto.

The Bombers weren't quite ready to concede the game and came back to score a TD on a pass from Buck to Harris.

36 -34 Toronto.

The refs called for their own review after an onside kick by the Bombers with less than a minute on the clock in the 4th. The Argos clearly won the review, Pile had the ball and was down by contact and the Bombers chance at a score was dust.

Buck Pierce is my pick for hero of the game for Winnipeg. I never should have written him off after that last head injury. The guy has balls of solid brass and won't let much stand in his way of reaching the end zone. There are a few glitches to be worked out but for the most part, give Buck the ball and he will do all he can to get it downfield, one way or the other.

I also have to congratulate Toronto on their rookie QB, Cleo Lemon. For a first time starter in the CFL, the kid looks darn good in and out of the pocket.

All in all, a most enjoyable game with real peaks of excitement.

Tomorrow Calgary travels to Hamilton to take on the Ti-Cats (who I sincerely hope have found their mojo since their first outing). Game starts on TSN at 10 AM PST.

Then the real games begin when my team travels to play the pussycats in Empire stadium. Game time 7 PM PST on TSN.

GO, ROUGHIES, GO. Celebrate One Hundred Years of Rider Pride!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Looking forward to the Pussycats and Muffdivers game at Tempire field.