Tomasz Adamek to fight Michael Grant in Newark

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Former cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek will fight Michael Grant on Aug. 21 at the Prudential Center in his fourth fight at heavyweight.

Main Events and Ziggy Promotions, along with X-Cel Worldwide, announced the fight Friday.

After beating Chris Arreola in a slugfest in his last outing, Adamek had hoped to get a title shot against David Haye or either of the Klitschko brothers, Wladimir or Vitali.
When those fell through, Adamek agreed to fight Grant, who has won his last eight fights.
Adamek (41-1, 27 KOs) is a popular draw in New Jersey because of the large Polish community. It will be his second fight since joining up with trainers Roger Bloodworth and Ronnie Shields.
“This fight makes so much sense for me,” Adamek said. “Michael Grant is a very big heavyweight. This fight will prepare me to fight Haye or Klitschko. First though, I have to beat Grant and I do not take him lightly. I was pleased with the results of my training camp for the Arreola fight, so for Grant we will follow the same hard regimen but also work on skills that will keep him guessing.”
The 6-foot-7 Grant will be the biggest opponent Adamek has faced. Grant scored a first-round knockout against Kevin Burnett on May 7 in his last fight.
The Klitschko brothers are both as tall as Grant.
“Michael Grant provides a new challenge to Tomasz, who must adjust to much taller and harder punching opponents than he faced in the light heavyweight and cruiserweight divisions,” promoter Kathy Duva of Main Events said. “It should be interesting and exciting to see how Adamek handles a much bigger man.”