Perfect game??

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Recently there has been a lot of controversy about the "perfect game" that never was in Detroit.

But, was there ever a PERFECT GAME?

The definition by Major League Baseball of a 'perfect game' is about as loose as their knowledge of the definition of the word "PERFECT".

PERFECT needs no qualifications.

A real perfect game that a pitcher justifiably claim as his own would be a game where the pitcher threw no more than 27 pitches, all strikes. Anything else is not really perfect, at least not in my opinion.

What do you think?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I understand the definition of a perfect game in baseball is no one getting on base the entire game. No hits or walks.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I understand the definition of a perfect game in baseball is no one getting on base the entire game. No hits or walks."

So, if a pitcher throws 27 fly balls which are caught by outfielders, how can a pitcher claim the "PERFECT" game as his accomplishment, and moreover, how can the league credit only the pitcher for that game?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I know what you're saying but the pitcher pitched a game allowing his team to get everyone out. If they committed errors then he wouldn't have one either.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Here is a list of "perfect" games in Major League Baseball. Note that even the MOST perfect does not reach the plateau of PERFECTION, not even half way.

Hate to be a stickler, and I certainly do not mean to diminish the accomplishments of pitchers (ALL with help from team mates) but using the word "PERFECT" is at least a slight exageration.

Baseball Perfect Games

So, basically, one 'perfect' game is more 'perfect' than another.

That is like being virgin or more virgin.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Uh, not to detract too much from what you're saying but I just want to clean up your math a bit, YukonJack. If I'm understanding you correctly, your perfect game would be pure strikes?

If thats the case it would be:

3 strikes x 3 batters = 9 pitches per inning
9 pitches /inning x 9 innings = 81 pitches in the game

You had the number 27 in your post which would be the number of outs in a regular game (no extra innings)... and while I was typing this I was thinking "ya know, a guy could pitch a perfect game but still end up in extra innings if its a scoreless tie after 9: just because he's pitching perfect doesn't necessarily mean the other guy can't be too". Wouldn't that be a b**** for the guy who eventually lost?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
wulfie68, I stand corrected, and thank your for your sharp eyes. A minimum of 81 pitches, is indeed a pure PERFECT game, not 27.

Your scenario of two opposing pitchers in the same game pitching a perfect game is so much against any odds, that I allow the Las Vegas odd makers to deal with it.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Addendum to post #7:

A perfect game that is solely and completely earned by the pitcher would have 81 pitches thrown by the pitcher.

If a pitcher tossed 27 fly balls, caught by other players on his team then he should have to share the glory with them.

However, a perfect game is always credited to the pitcher, only.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is a 'team' game, and the pitcher needs the other players to help him out, that is what a team
is all about, and if one is a true baseball fan and follower, he/she will know
the contribution of all players towards that perfect game, but the rule gives
the pitcher the perfect game, but the team gets the win.

We understand and respect baseballs definition of a perfect game by the rule book, and what we
determine as our definition of a perfect game doesn't matter, that would be a new set of rules,
which don't exist.

The young fellow did throw a perfect game, everyone knows he did that, and no one can take it away
from him, it just isn't in the books, but the fact that the umpire declared his mistake, apologized
for it, settles the matter for me, and I will always view that pitcher as having thrown a perfect
game, and what is on paper is only numbers.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
As long as one "PERFECT" game is more "PERFECT" than an other, the terminology is totally meaningless.

I have no problem with the concept or the definition as defined by MLB.

They should use the proper adjective. PERFECT is not it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
As long as one "PERFECT" game is more "PERFECT" than an other, the terminology is totally meaningless.

I have no problem with the concept or the definition as defined by MLB.

They should use the proper adjective. PERFECT is not it.

only in your opinion, but in baseballs rule book, it is called a perfect game, get use to it.

It is acceptable to me, I don't want it changed, I like the format they have come up with to
arrive at their perfect game, makes sense to me, it is not civilian life, it is baseball life, and even in life there is no
such thing as perfection, only the effort to arrive there, at least in baseball, one can. lol

Herboozle

Time Out
Apr 13, 2009
Toronto
You're nitpicking about semantics. This is like complaining that a "double play" should be called a "double-out". A "perfect game" has its own accepted definition WITHIN baseball that does not have to match the literal definition of "perfect".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Recently there has been a lot of controversy about the "perfect game" that never was in Detroit.

But, was there ever a PERFECT GAME?

The definition by Major League Baseball of a 'perfect game' is about as loose as their knowledge of the definition of the word "PERFECT".

PERFECT needs no qualifications.

A real perfect game that a pitcher justifiably claim as his own would be a game where the pitcher threw no more than 27 pitches, all strikes. Anything else is not really perfect, at least not in my opinion.

What do you think?

I would say 81 pitches. :lol::lol::lol:

I would say 81 pitches. :lol::lol::lol:

OOOOOOOps sorry, someone already picked up on that. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A pitcher pitches a perfect game, and a goalie plays a shut out game. Both rely on their teammates to get them there though. Everyone knows that. Why let it stress you?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
JLM, I conceded that in my post #8.

However, if a pitcher threw 81 pitches, and another threw 78 pitches and then the last batter hit a fly ball, caught by a fielder, making it 79 pitches, whose game would be MORE perfect?

karrie, I am not stressed. All I am saying is that the definition defies the rules and laws of the English language. Just an inexplicable folly in sports.

Mind you, there are many others. Why is the prize (NOT the monetary one) for winning the Masters Golf tournament a cheap green jacket? And for that matter why is the Masters (along with the U.S. Open, the PGA and the British Open) called MAJOR? It has happened before that an other (not MAJOR) tournament had a stronger and more prestigious field of competitors than a so-called MAJOR.

Similarly in tennis.

Also, tossing aside the fact that soccer and hockey are (or at least until insanity took over) TEAM sports. So, how can a game be decided with only one participant from each team, while the rest of their team-mates sit on their behind? You know, the insanity of shoot-out?

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
all of those things you mentioned are not insanity at all, just your interpretation of them.

The winner of the masters, also has the priviledge of deciding what the dinner
will be for the 'next' years masters, it is interesting as they all have their
own favourites, depending where they come from, etc.
It is a prestigious club to be part of, extremely difficult to get there, but
once there, it is a lifetime togetherness with the others.

(if you win more than once, you do not get another jacket, have to bring the same
one with you, and have it put on again, 'cheaper than you thought aye?'.
wonder what they would do, if the player gained 20 pounds, guess it has to go
to a taylor to be altered. lol

the majors are 'special' tournaments, and usually they do have the very best of the best, but
also add a few amateurs who have reached high enough to be added, and also veterans who have
won the tournament enough times in the past to have a lifetime pass till they decide they don't
want to participate any longer.

The U.S. Open major is also very special, because anyone can try to qualify,
from anywhere in the world, and if you make it, your'e in, only tournament
like that in golf, on the PGA.

Each sport is it's own community, and doesn't hang with everyday activity, they
can have it any way they want, it is 'their' sport, it is 'their' priviledge,
and it is 'our' delight to be entertained by them, and all of their rule books,
go into great detail the whys and wherefores of each play, give them all names,
and it has nothing to do with 'everyday' life, and doesn't have to be explained
to anybody, unless of course one doesn't understand the rule.

there is a goalie involved as well, and if the shoot-out
goes long enough, many players participate, not just one.
There have been discussion as to other ways of deciding the game, keep reducing
the team till it's one on one, no thanks, don't want to watch some player
chasing another player all over the ice, tryin to get the puck, it is makeing
mockery of the game, and humiliating the player without the puck, they are far
too good and deserve better.
The crowd love the shoot-out, and if they hadn't it would not have continued,
a very exciting way to make the decision.

I wonder why you think that the sports have to fall into line with everyday
life, when it comes to their decision about their rules, and what to call them.
Why is that important to you, and why should they.

Last edited: