Pike Fishing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Now Pike fishing isn't really my thing. I've always been a river kinda guy, targeting Salmonoid species. All through my youth, we fed the Pike we did catch, to the dogs. A couple years ago, a friend of ours got us to try some Pike, and now we've added it to our list of edibles.

So I'm on my way to putting together a Pike load out. So far all we've done is a some trolling and dead sticking with minnows.

So I'm asking the Pikers here, if they wouldn't mind sharing some of their successful tips, tricks and sure shots.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've always just jigged for pike. Cheap jigs have good success since the greedy buggers'll eat anything. yellow or 'hornet' styled jigs seem to work well.

If you fillet them properly, cutting out the y bones, they batter up nicely. The more flavour you cook them with, the better, since they tend to pick up the swampy algae flavour of lakes worse than any other fish. Salty beer batter is my favourite method.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thanx guys...

As soon as SCB and Kooter get home, we're heading down to a spot we've found that produces some nice fish. We'll be fishing from shore, beneath a dam. We've had limited success pitching out red and whites, and jigs tipped with grubs. So tonight we're going to try a minnow rig, under a float.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
pink or orange leaches on jigs work great by dams because they will sink.
I'll have to try that.

I'm not all that up to speed on grubs and leeches or plastic baits for that matter, lol. I've been curing and tying my own roe for years. Kooter, my youngest ties flies and well, the whole lure thing, plastic or otherwise, is quite new to us.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I normally don't like pike in the summer because with warm water the flesh tend to be not so firm, so when I catch one big enough that it's a keeper....do the same thing you would do for cat-fish. (clean and fillet it with no bones,The method I use is in the video)...
Like cat-fish I put it in freezer bags with water salted with pickling salt (Don't use iodized salt...it makes the meat even mushier) for a couple of days in the freezer.
When you thaw it out, it's just like winter pike.....

YouTube - How to Fillet a Northern Pike - Fillet a Northern Pike with No Bones - Pike Cleaning

Small frogs make good bait:lol::lol::lol:;-)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Saskatchewan slough sharks!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
yeah, pike don't need that kind of attention or effort. lol

actually, the easiest way to catch a pike is just to not want to. :lol:

Thats what we always found too...

We always fished for walleye or perch and the slough sharks (or if you prefer, Northen Big Mouth Bass or Sewer Trout) would hone in. Sometimes we'd just put a big red and white (red devil) spoon on and go for it. The biggest ones I caught liked yellow or bumblebee jigs... seems like any bright colour really.

The firmness of the flesh in summer only seems to be an issue with water that really warms up. Mom would soak the flesh in a mild vinegar to take out the sliminess sometimes too.