2010 Formula 1 season

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well, we are finally under way for what promises to be an interesting season with a star returning after three years in retirement, lots of new blood and new teams.

Here are this mornings free practice 2 times.

Free practice 2 DriverTeamsTime1N Rosberg (GER) Mercedes1'55.4092LC Hamilton (GBR) McLaren1'55.8543M Schumacher (GER) Mercedes1'55.9034J Button (GBR) McLaren1'56.0765S Vettel (GER) Red Bull1'56.4596N Hulkenberg (GER) Williams1'56.5017F Massa (BRA) Ferrari1'56.5558V Petrov (RUS) Renault1'56.7509F Alonso (ESP) Ferrari1'57.14010PM de la Rosa (ESP) BMW Sauber1'57.25511K Kobayashi (JPN) BMW Sauber1'57.35212A Sutil (GER) Force India1'57.36113RG Barrichello (BRA) Williams1'57.45214V Liuzzi (ITA) Force India1'57.83315R Kubica (POL) Renault1'58.15516J Alguersuari (ESP) Toro Rosso1'59.79917M Webber (AUS) Red Bull2'00.44418H Kovalainen (FIN) Lotus2'00.87319J Trulli (ITA) Lotus2'00.99020T Glock (GER) Virgin2'02.03721L di Grassi (BRA) Virgin2'02.18822B Senna (BRA) HRT F11'56.96823S Buemi (SUI) Toro Rosso-24K Chandhok (IND) HRT F1

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I lost some interest a few years ago when they started to 'down-tune' the electronics . (computer control of braking so sharp corners speed were way up there compared to what they 'went back to'). Most of the tracks they race on don't even let 'Indy' cars crank it wide open. Might as well have them race on the interstates of the American south west. Straight ahead for 3 states, max speeds with minimal interference from having to pass each other constantly. If more corners were wanted little side-trips from the straight ahead route.

Did they ever 'solve' that 6 cars wide hi-speed start down to a single-lane slow-speed in 1/4 mile that at times took out 12 of the best cars before lap 1 was over?

Entertaining back in the jalopy days, not so much when the cars are as high priced as these ones.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I lost some interest a few years ago when they started to 'down-tune' the electronics . (computer control of braking so sharp corners speed were way up there compared to what they 'went back to'). Most of the tracks they race on don't even let 'Indy' cars crank it wide open. Might as well have them race on the interstates of the American south west. Straight ahead for 3 states, max speeds with minimal interference from having to pass each other constantly. If more corners were wanted little side-trips from the straight ahead route.

Did they ever 'solve' that 6 cars wide hi-speed start down to a single-lane slow-speed in 1/4 mile that at times took out 12 of the best cars before lap 1 was over?

Entertaining back in the jalopy days, not so much when the cars are as high priced as these ones.

Jalopy days?

They have always been the pinnacle of race cars, unlike the hillbilly circle jerk some like to call NASCAR.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Jalopy days?

They have always been the pinnacle of race cars, unlike the hillbilly circle jerk some like to call NASCAR.
Back in days when race cars was under $10,000 a pop, that is what I meant by jalopy cars. lol. Totally mess up 10 F-1 cars in the first corner and what would that cost in today's prices per car and who ultimately pays for those wrecks?

Well then perhaps formula 1 should be having about another million race cars so the rest of the world can enjoy the thrill of motor-racing. Nascar may not be quite as fast but they go more than three times the distance when doing the 500 mile races. Would an F-1 chassis hold up for a 500 mile race? (260k is the shortest race and the others are about 300k)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is no doubt that Formula One is the cutting edge of racing technology. Indianapolis could be run on a dynamometer and Nascar is nonsense.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Back in days when race cars was under $10,000 a pop, that is what I meant by jalopy cars. lol. Totally mess up 10 F-1 cars in the first corner and what would that cost in today's prices per car and who ultimately pays for those wrecks?

Well then perhaps formula 1 should be having about another million race cars so the rest of the world can enjoy the thrill of motor-racing. Nascar may not be quite as fast but they go more than three times the distance when doing the 500 mile races. Would an F-1 chassis hold up for a 500 mile race? (260k is the shortest race and the others are about 300k)

Would it hold up?

Yes

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You mean the ones with injected all-aluminum 500 inch big-blocks ? I think it was Porche that also had a ski-do type of engine with a fan just to increase adhesion to the track during cornering, it didn't prove to be any faster than the others. I thoight that basic body style was resurrected by some class that runs in a small circuit. Lot smaller engines

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You mean the ones with injected all-aluminum 500 inch big-blocks ? I think it was Porche that also had a ski-do type of engine with a fan just to increase adhesion to the track during cornering, it didn't prove to be any faster than the others. I thoight that basic body style was resurrected by some class that runs in a small circuit. Lot smaller engines

I believe the "Hoovercraft" was by Jim Hall.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol I think it's funny that people actually compare the different styles of racing; like NASCAR, Formula, Sprint, Drags, Rally, etc. would be so similar that comparing them is reasonable. Hilarious. IMO, it's like comparing apples to shoes and aardvarks.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
lol I think it's funny that people actually compare the different styles of racing; like NASCAR, Formula, Sprint, Drags, Rally, etc. would be so similar that comparing them is reasonable. Hilarious. IMO, it's like comparing apples to shoes and aardvarks.
All racers shout get the same adrenaline rush and all the fans still have their heroes and the boys can talk shop. Perhaps they should have them all in one club and at each event draw a name out of the hat to see what sort of track the race will be held on. Many should develop 'mechanical problems' if 'swamp-buggy' track is drawn. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
All racers shout get the same adrenaline rush and all the fans still have their herows and the boys can talk shop. Perhaps they should have them all in one club and at each event draw a name out of the hat to see what sort of track the race will be held on. Many should develope 'mechanical problems' if 'swamp-buggy' track is drawn. lol
lol Now that could be highly entertaining.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
For the first 20ft or so. lol
Oh, you meant with their own machines. I was thinking it'd be entertaining to have people used to drag cars, formula cars, rally cars running around in swamp buggies. lol

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Oh, you meant with their own machines. I was thinking it'd be entertaining to have people used to drag cars, formula cars, rally cars running around in swamp buggies. lol
I'm not sure putting somebody into a 'strange machine' and sending them off at ultra high speed will have many people left that can stand to collect the trophies at the end of the event.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not sure putting somebody into a 'strange machine' and sending them off at ultra high speed will have many people left that can stand to collect the trophies at the end of the event.
Swamp buggies? Ultra high speed?
It'd probably be a pretty slow race if we put swamp racers and drag racers on a formula track, though. I think even racers have some sense of self-preservation and intelligence.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Put in a gear change and point them in one direction at the salt-flats and swamp buggies would fulfill the need for speed in most people. ( a blown big-block is not shy on power) F-!'s have a flat bottom, put some narrow tires on the front for steering (rudder)and some big ol paddle tires on the back it should skip across the water, gawd help you if you blow a shift though.

Northboy

Electoral Member

Yeah, but the contribution to engineering was impressive.

Engine size is just about rules of competition.