2010 Winter Olympics Worst Ever?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I've been hearing a lot of nonsense, especially from the Brits about how bad the Vancouver games are. The following article puts things into proper perspective, pointing out that the death of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 games may have given Munich that dubious honour. Honourable mentions are the "Nazi" 1936 games in Berlin, the polluted 1996 Atlanta games, and the fact that although 20,000 tickets were cancelled in Vancouver due to warm weather, 59,000 were refunded in Nagano and 130,000 were refunded in Calgary. And of course there are the recent Beijing Olympics where just breathing the air was considered the equivalent of smoking several packs of cigarettes a day.

Olympic critics leave out facts

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Thanks but I think you're being too generous. Apolo Ohno and local girl Lindsey Vonn only got Bronze, while Shani Davis only got Silver in their matches today. I was hoping they would win Gold. Of course, their opponents won fair & square.

My favorite events are bob sled (which you call bob sleigh), Nordic, and biathlon. And we stunk up royally in those sports! Hopefully, we'll make up for it in other sports.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks but I think you're being too generous. Apolo Ohno and local girl Lindsey Vonn only got Bronze, while Shani Davis only got Silver in their matches today. I was hoping they would win Gold. Of course, their opponents won fair & square.

My favorite events are bob sled (which you call bob sleigh), Nordic, and biathlon. And we stunk up royally in those sports! Hopefully, we'll make up for it in other sports.

we call them bob sleds

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
What a game twixt USA & Canada! Canucks ran the crease and made many more SOGs but it didn't intimidate goalie Ryan Miller. Yanks win 5-3.

Thought the game would be discussed on this thread but perhaps it was discussed on another one.

Canadians are still in it though as they have an easy draw vs Germany in their next match.

Also glad to see Bode Miller win Gold in down hill combo.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What a game twixt USA & Canada! Canucks ran the crease and made many more SOGs but it didn't intimidate goalie Ryan Miller. Yanks win 5-3.

Thought the game would be discussed on this thread but perhaps it was discussed on another one.

Canadians are still in it though as they have an easy draw vs Germany in their next match.

Also glad to see Bode Miller win Gold in down hill combo.

u.s. had two excellent millers today.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Interesting point on the bob sleigh/bob sled. I hadn't thought about it until I read your post here, and then a few hours ago, I was watching the event on TV and lo and behold...there it was "bob sleigh" right on the screen. Now I don't know if it's a "Canadianism" or a term the Olympic folks use internationally. I always called it a bob sled myself.

By the way, the U.S. is doing great with the medals and from what I've seen, they've really earned them all. Even the figure skater guy, although that one seems to be controversial for some. But figure skating has always been a bit weird on their scoring system anyway. I just ignore all that stuff and enjoy the show.

Anyway, congrats to all the athletes who have won medals thus far...they seem to be having a ball and they're putting on quite a show...the games are exciting and great.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
"there it was "bob sleigh" right on the screen"

Back in the 1960s this was one of the most popular winter Olympics events. I remember when ABC Sports used to broadcast it during those years and it was always called 'bob sleigh' except in the few times it was conducted in the USA. I honestly thought only us Yanks used the term bob sled. Guess we all learned something new! :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"there it was "bob sleigh" right on the screen"

Back in the 1960s this was one of the most popular winter Olympics events. I remember when ABC Sports used to broadcast it during those years and it was always called 'bob sleigh' except in the few times it was conducted in the USA. I honestly thought only us Yanks used the term bob sled. Guess we all learned something new! :)

I noticed that too. "Bob Sled" was always the term we used in British Columbia.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Interesting point on the bob sleigh/bob sled. I hadn't thought about it until I read your post here, and then a few hours ago, I was watching the event on TV and lo and behold...there it was "bob sleigh" right on the screen. Now I don't know if it's a "Canadianism" or a term the Olympic folks use internationally. I always called it a bob sled myself.

By the way, the U.S. is doing great with the medals and from what I've seen, they've really earned them all. Even the figure skater guy, although that one seems to be controversial for some. But figure skating has always been a bit weird on their scoring system anyway. I just ignore all that stuff and enjoy the show.

Anyway, congrats to all the athletes who have won medals thus far...they seem to be having a ball and they're putting on quite a show...the games are exciting and great.
We've always called it the "Bob Sled" and many many moons ago they also had Bob skates. Double bladed skates that you strapped onto your shoes like the old time roller skates.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
We've always called it the "Bob Sled" and many many moons ago they also had Bob skates. Double bladed skates that you strapped onto your shoes like the old time roller skates.
I can remember those double bladed skates being called 'cheese cutters', lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Through the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing, Canada has won a total of 379 medals in the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Here is the breakdown:

Summer Games
Gold: 58
Silver: 94
Bronze: 108
Total Summer: 260

Winter Games
Gold: 38
Silver: 38
Bronze: 43
Total Winter: 119

This answer will be updated after the final results of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games.

Great Britain has won a total of 46 medals, both Summer and Winter. They are hardly in a position to criticize Canada.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have noticed there hasn't been a sign of Ron McLean at
these Olympics, or Don Cherry, hope that continues, they
are a toronto act, should stay there.

I saw a guy walking around the olympics yesterday with a
big fluffy dog head on, we thought maybe it was McLean,
as he probably shouldn't show his face in Vancouver,

lol