Disgusted with CTV and TSN Reporting of Olympics

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.

Brian Wilson should be sent to Siberia to cover dog-sled races.

The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room.

If it weren’t for my mute button, I think I might have smashed my TV such is the anger these incompetent, negative, smarmy, putrid, unpleasant, pessimistic, distasteful, obnoxious people engender in me.

I am very simply appalled.

CTV has failed miserably in reporting these games. They have repeatedly shamed us with their insipid, trite remarks about our athletes.

I have actually turned to the French reporting channels to watch some events rather than have to listen to a Canadian reporter slam another Canadian athlete. Who do these mouthpieces think they are??? Where does their loyalty lie? Why are they still on the air?

They should all go and work for the Fox network as their level of reporting is almost up-to-par with the likes of Glenn Beck.

I am actually beginning to think that CTV is being paid by some other network to bad mouth the games, the athletes and anything else that enters their tiny little un-Canadian minds.

So far the only events worth listening to are hockey and curling, at least the commentators reporting them stick to the games and if speaking of the individual players, are fair and balanced in their remarks.

I long for the days of CBC coverage of the Olympic games – where are they now?

:angryfire::angryfire:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think the coverage is far superior to what CBC used to do. I can turn on the tv, and see the actual competitions. On CBC all I saw was their annoying 'local culture' spots over and over, with the occasional interruption to give you the results of something.

With CTV using TSN and Sportsnet, there's usually 3 different events on at any one time, and they show the events, not the artsy fartsy crap that CBC prefers.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
I think the coverage is far superior to what CBC used to do. I can turn on the tv, and see the actual competitions. On CBC all I saw was their annoying 'local culture' spots over and over, with the occasional interruption to give you the results of something.

With CTV using TSN and Sportsnet, there's usually 3 different events on at any one time, and they show the events, not the artsy fartsy crap that CBC prefers.
Yep! Far more coverage than we ever have had before. Every event not just Hockey and Figure Skating with a few downhill events thrown in.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I get CTV, CBC, Sportsnet, and NBC, so it's nice to jump
back and forth.

Brian Williams seems to be part of the olympic picture,
he has been on CBC so long, it would be strange if he
weren't there.

They all have their little stories about athletes families,
etc., and it does get silly sometimes, I just keep flipping
the channel each time I don't want to watch what they are
doing.

The announcers have to learn that if an athlete doesn't
hit the medal level, it doesn't mean they failed, but
the focus on medals by these tv people seems to be 'it',
and anything else is 'the end', it just shows me how little
they really know about competition and sports.

I can handle them, they are just people doing their jobs, but the commercials become very tiring, again, I flip the channel.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Mowich said, "Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.
The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room."

You shouldn't watch.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Rod Black is a moron, if he is covering an event I'll switch the sound off.

Almost as bad as watching anybody on HNIC....I watch most games on RDS.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Mowich said, "Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.
The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room."

You shouldn't watch.[/QUOTE

Except for hockey and curling, I have stopped watching all the other events, Walter. The over-the-top screaming and whinining by reporters and commentators finally got to me.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I get CTV, CBC, Sportsnet, and NBC, so it's nice to jump
back and forth.

Brian Williams seems to be part of the olympic picture,
he has been on CBC so long, it would be strange if he
weren't there.

They all have their little stories about athletes families,
etc., and it does get silly sometimes, I just keep flipping
the channel each time I don't want to watch what they are
doing.

The announcers have to learn that if an athlete doesn't
hit the medal level, it doesn't mean they failed, but
the focus on medals by these tv people seems to be 'it',
and anything else is 'the end', it just shows me how little
they really know about competition and sports.

I can handle them, they are just people doing their jobs, but the commercials become very tiring, again, I flip the channel.

Tallola, I would rather listen to you reporting the events then anyone of these over-the-top people doing so now. They are so extreme they make me cringe.

All beside the point now as I am only watching curling and hockey for the rest of the Olympics.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Just to be clear, TenPenny, I am not talking about camera or event coverage which I agree is far superior to that of past Olympics.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just to be clear, TenPenny, I am not talking about camera or event coverage which I agree is far superior to that of past Olympics.

Except for the close-ups of the curlers picking their noses instead of showing us the "house." Apparently we need to see those close-ups so we can better "feel" the emotions of the players or something.

And, if I hear the question "How do you feel?" during post-win or loss interviews, I will have to use the mute button more frequently. (I was hoping Jon Montgomery would reply "With my hands!" to that tiresome question.

I suspect these touchy-feely questions originate with the interviewers' educational upbringing...you know, the one where self-esteem trumps results. ("Just spell it how it sounds, Joey. And don't worry about if it's correct or not - as long you feel good about it"). A generation of near-morons has made it to TV, finally.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Except for the close-ups of the curlers picking their noses instead of showing us the "house." Apparently we need to see those close-ups so we can better "feel" the emotions of the players or something.

And, if I hear the question "How do you feel?" during post-win or loss interviews, I will have to use the mute button more frequently. (I was hoping Jon Montgomery would reply "With my hands!" to that tiresome question.

I suspect these touchy-feely questions originate with the interviewers' educational upbringing...you know, the one where self-esteem trumps results. ("Just spell it how it sounds, Joey. And don't worry about if it's correct or not - as long you feel good about it"). A generation of near-morons has made it to TV, finally.

I will go a step further and call them complete morons, CB. The other day during one of the speed skating events the idiot who was supposed to be commentating said something to the effect that 'all eyes in the audience would be on Hamelin'. I immediately thought, wait a minute there are people in the crowd from all over the world who are not the least bit interested in anyone other than their own competitors, so what exactly are you talking about. No sooner had I thought that when I heard him say, 'all eyes in the audience will be on Apolo Ohno'.

Do these people ever listen to what they are saying because it is more than clear to me that they sure don't bother to think before they open their stupid yaps.

As far as the close-ups of the athletes (curlers, skaters, etc.) I have to agree but then I have the same problem with the way TSN covers the CFL. They don't seem to be interested in covering the action as much as they are in getting a shot of someone picking their nose or adjusting certain parts of the body.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It's worse than that Mowich, they got on the line yesterday and Black says "they are waiting for the word ready"

Gee whiz Rod thanks for that grasp of the obvious.

Another thing that was annoying is Brian Williams wouldn't shut up during the opening ceremony and CTV had their logo pretty close to the middle of the screen....anyone with an HD TV will know what I'm talking about.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's worse than that Mowich, they got on the line yesterday and Black says "they are waiting for the word ready"

Gee whiz Rod thanks for that grasp of the obvious.

Another thing that was annoying is Brian Williams wouldn't shut up during the opening ceremony and CTV had their logo pretty close to the middle of the screen....anyone with an HD TV will know what I'm talking about.
How about that young lady from ETalk? Who the hell cares what celebs are in Vancouver, and seriously, do I care what they're wearing or drinking?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
How about that young lady from ETalk? Who the hell cares what celebs are in Vancouver, and seriously, do I care what they're wearing or drinking?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I have heard her before on the radio, got the impression that she hates people who have succeeded.

The worst though is the presence of Ben Mulrouney......

They could have at least had Tanya Kim on there, here's why....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Tallola, I would rather listen to you reporting the events then anyone of these over-the-top people doing so now. They are so extreme they make me cringe.

All beside the point now as I am only watching curling and hockey for the rest of the Olympics.

not sure if that is a complement or not. lol

yeah, they are all competing with each other, and they
do get a little carried away, but I am not going to 'not watch', which just hurts 'me', because of the announcing,
I will watch all of the events that interest me, and soak
it all in, in my own way, and we can chat with each other
in our room, or switch the channel when they become too
tiring.
I'm not sure why rod black has to do everything, can't
they hire some other announcers to do some things, he
does figure skating, golf, football, olympics, and he
is 'overexposed' to us, that is why we get so sick of him.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I see the moderators don't like my reference to HNIC. Watch the movie Lean on Me and listen to what Morgan Freeman says about HNIC. What a bunch of political correctness. Foolish, mirthless children.