Canadian Junior Men's Hockey Team

Mowich
For the ninth year in a row, the Canadian Mens Junior Hockey team will meet either the US or Sweden in the Gold Medal game. Canada beat the Swiss team 6 to 1, in what I thought was a game dominated by Canada.

Late in the game, the Swiss drew a 5-minute penalty when a Canadian player was injured after being driven into the boards. He was taken off the ice and immediately into the dressing room. The penalty was a moot point with only seconds remaining on the score clock.

EH! O CANADA, GO!

Kreskin
The Swiss hung around but were out of their league.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

EH! O CANADA, GO!

That has to be the most lame cheer anyone could ever come up with.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

The Swiss hung around but were out of their league.

It seemed to me that our team spent an inordinate amount of time on the Swiss side of the ice or, right next to the Swiss net. I also thought that the ability of our team to get the puck away from the Swiss and then manipulate it between players, was really cool. At rare times they almost looked choreographed - they were so in sync.

If I remember correctly, we only drew 5 penalties during the game, apparently that was waaaay too many according to their coach. I did notice that the entire third period was penalty free after the coach was said to have 'talked' to the team.

Go Juniors! I am proud of you young men. Go Canada.

TenPenny
Yeah, I understand the coach feels that no more than 4 power plays to the opposing team per game. And Eberle's penalty in the second was pathetic and unnecessary.

So he gave them a bit of a lecture, and they responded well.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

That has to be the most lame cheer anyone could ever come up with.

I was not too happy with it either, but it is the 'official' Pepsi Canada cheer and I do hear the fans using though not quite as much as the Pepsi ads would have us believe.

I tried and tried to get on the Pepsi site so I could vote for a cheer but had no luck and finally gave up.

This was my choice.

C...Eh...N... Eh...D...Eh
GO! CANADA! GO!

I know, pretty lame too, but what the heck anything that unites people in a common cause can't be all that bad.

Kreskin

It seemed to me that our team spent an inordinate amount of time on the Swiss side of the ice or, right next to the Swiss net. I also thought that the ability of our team to get the puck away from the Swiss and then manipulate it between players, was really cool. At rare times they almost looked choreographed - they were so in sync.

If I remember correctly, we only drew 5 penalties during the game, apparently that was waaaay too many according to their coach. I did notice that the entire third period was penalty free after the coach was said to have 'talked' to the team.

Go Juniors! I am proud of you young men. Go Canada.

At times it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals.

talloola

At times it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals.

yeah, not much of a game. but then, that is the russians
fault.

Kreskin
This game tonight is a coin toss. Pretty exciting.

Kreskin
Where is our goaltending???

Tonington
The American team is reaaaaaaaaly good at the counter-attack. Canada needs a goal quick, build some momentum again...

TenPenny
It's not a cointoss now, down 2 goals in the third...and their play just isn't up to par.

Tonington
GOAL! It's going to be a nail biter.

Tonington
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. Tied it up!

Tonington
Eberle is golden.

earth_as_one
damn!

Kreskin
I blame Obama.

Tonington
I blame Colbert.

Kreskin
US was a class act and are great champions. Congrats to the US.

jsiooa
fluke

talloola

Where is our goaltending???

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. He was weak right
at the beginning of the game, put canada in a hole, but
all in all I thought the teams were pretty even, makes
for a good game.
It's actually good for canada to lose this tournament
once in a while, makes it better for the interest in the
tournament, now, if only a few of the other teams could
play better.
I would like to see a different format, we didn't even
play sweden, russia, or finland, surely they can think
up a format where that does not happen.
Tournament isn't interesting to me at all, just watched
the two canada games against the u.s., nothing else.

mt_pockets1000
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

now, if only a few of the other teams could
play better.

Like Latvia.

Congrats to our young men on the Canadian team. Ya done us proud.
Congrats to the American team. You played like champions.

TenPenny
The American team was faster than ours all through the tournament. They have a great team, and the word is, it will be better next year.

That said, the hype that builds around any kind of a streak is unreal; our local QMJHL team had a streak of what, 22 wins in a row, and they were relieved when it ended, the pressure was unreal. To expect Canada to win 6 golds in a row is crazy; they did an awesome job to get it to OT, and the night belonged to the Americans.

Congrats to them, they had a tremendous team.

Avro
That was a great game, could have been a better result but the americans were hungrier and got the win.

Congrats to them and our guys for putting on a good show as always.

Mowich
Congratualtions to the US Junior Men's Hockey Team - The New Gold Medal Champions. You gave us a great game.

I think the Canadian Juniors should be congratulated for doing a grand job of making it to the gold medal round. The game really picked up in the second and third quarters, and those two goals by Ebele in the last two minutes of the third period were fantastic.

I can understand the disappoint apparent on the faces of our young Juniors after the game, but they did their best and that is all we can ask.

Saskatchewan can be justly proud of their Regina Pat's star - Jordan Eberle. I understand he is called 'the Messiah' back there. Way to go Jordan.

shadowshiv
The Canadians fell into the same trap they did the first time they played the US team. They took some undisciplined penalties and that cost them. Having to come back from 2 goals down 2 games in a row(against the US) took a lot out of them. The US team played very well, and certainly deserved the win. It is a shame the Canadians couldn't win, but at least it was an entertaining game.

Mowich
It was a most entertaining game shadowshiv. My hockey friends tell me that Canada should have pulled their goalie earlier. They also mentioned that our inability to score during power plays, at least consistently score, made a difference too.

Five straight gold medals is nothing to sniff at, and taking silver in a game that might have gone either way, is an accomplishment our young men can be proud of, IMHO.

#juan

It was a most entertaining game shadowshiv. My hockey friends tell me that Canada should have pulled their goalie earlier. They also mentioned that our inability to score during power plays, at least consistently score, made a difference too.

Five straight gold medals is nothing to sniff at, and taking silver in a game that might have gone either way, is an accomplishment our young men can be proud of, IMHO.

The players on both the American and the Canadian teams came up in the same minor hockey system, and had a lot of the same coaches. Nobody else could beat them........They had to beat each other.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The players on both the American and the Canadian teams came up in the same minor hockey system, and had a lot of the same coaches. Nobody else could beat them........They had to beat each other.

I was thinking more along the lines of games that are lost due to too many oversights by either side, juan. There have been times when a good team lost simply because they did not consistently play well and stay true to their play book. I did not realize that both teams had the same coaches, that is interesting.

talloola
The two teams were very similar in talent, but I must mention that there are 7 or 8 players, top talents who
could have been on that canadian team, who are playing
in the NHL, and were not there, although they are elegible,
the management/player decide not to go, or that canadian
team could have been much stronger, but I'm glad they
weren't stronger, and it is good for the tournament, the
way it ended.