Grey Cup Champions - Montreal Alouettes

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
In the end, we did it to ourselves! But for a stupid, juvenile penalty we would have had the game. It is not the way I would have chosen to lose the game, but it is a fact.

I congratulate Montreal on their win, they are true Grey Cup Champions.

I do not take anything away from the great play of our Riders. They hung in there and gave Montreal their money's worth. I am proud of you guys, every single one of you. Keep your heads up.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would not want to be in Montreal at this time. Tomorrow morning, St Catherine Street will be wall to wall barf.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It will be a hard one to forget for the Riders. I was pulling for them then started pulling for Montreal to make it a game. It turned into quite a game.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am so gutted. We had it, for 2 seconds we had it!
I can not believe we gave it up for a 13th man!! Montreal is probably laughing, the 13th man our worst nightmare tonight!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha!

Good game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I would not want to be in Montreal at this time. Tomorrow morning, St Catherine Street will be wall to wall barf.

There might be more than a few in Saskatchewan who feel like up-chucking too. I personally feel as if I had been kicked in the stomach.

Still, I am really happy for the vets on the Montreal team, Calvillo, Cahoon, Chu, et al, they finally have their Grey Cup win and can now retire, if they chose, knowing they won the Cup.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It will be a hard one to forget for the Riders. I was pulling for them then started pulling for Montreal to make it a game. It turned into quite a game.

During the lead-up to the game, TSN, was showing re-caps of each team's year and how they prepared for the Cup. After watching the Montreal portion, I phoned my sister in Regina and told her that we should just go out on the field, shake hands and give Montreal the Cup so they could finally have a Grey Cup win.

Well, we handed them the Cup but what an inglorious way to do so.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am so gutted. We had it, for 2 seconds we had it!
I can not believe we gave it up for a 13th man!! Montreal is probably laughing, the 13th man our worst nightmare tonight!

I doubt that Montreal is laughing too hard at the Riders, Hazmart. Mark Trestman and the Montreal team are a class act and they know better than us fans what a loss like this means to a team. They will celebrate the win knowing that without that last stupid, amateur penalty, they would have lost, again.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congrats to Montreal.
I've never seen a game end quite like that one.
I wonder who exactly was at fault for that blunder.

One of the Rider coaches has taken responsibility for the 13th man, talloola, not that it makes any difference to the rest of the team or us fans. We gave them the game.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
One of the Rider coaches has taken responsibility for the 13th man, talloola, not that it makes any difference to the rest of the team or us fans. We gave them the game.

Regardless of who was at fault, it was the kind of mistake that should not have happened, especially with the importance of the game in question. I am certain that he will be having a few sleepless nights for a while, thinking "What if...".

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I turned the game on for the second half, while I washed the dishes....I started hoping for Montreal, simply to make it a game, as others have said, and when it got down to the last couple of minutes, I figured, well, good effort, but Sask will hold on...when that penalty happened, I couldn't believe it. A horrendous mistake that should never have happened...unbelievable.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I turned the game on for the second half, while I washed the dishes....I started hoping for Montreal, simply to make it a game, as others have said, and when it got down to the last couple of minutes, I figured, well, good effort, but Sask will hold on...when that penalty happened, I couldn't believe it. A horrendous mistake that should never have happened...unbelievable.

It's like Yogi Berra said..."It ain't over until it's over."8O

(I think that is the quote.)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
At my daughter's hockey game Friday night, the other team tied it up with 26 seconds left. Man, I hate that.

I hate it when the opposing team scores with less than 5 seconds left on the PP due to a stupid penalty being taken!:x

I hope your daughter's team was still able to claim victory in that game.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I hope this works, this cartoon appeared in the Calgary Sun on Sunday morning, how prophetic:

Moderator's Edit: Fixed Picture.

Here you go, Bob.:)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Regardless of who was at fault, it was the kind of mistake that should not have happened, especially with the importance of the game in question. I am certain that he will be having a few sleepless nights for a while, thinking "What if...".

He won't be the only one 'having a sleepless night', shadowshiv, mine wasn't any great shakes either. Still, the team gave us a great regular and play-off season and I for one will never take that away from them, not for one stupid penalty.

The Riders will rise again. 2010, here we come.