Habs talk

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Game 20: Canadiens at Predators

posted by Kevin Mio at 9h53 EST on Nov 14

Canadiens goalie Carey Price makes a save against the Coyotes Thursday night. Rick Scuter, Reuters

Gazette Preview | Saturday's NHL Schedule | Matchups | Boone's Game Blog and About last night ... | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey's game story
The Canadiens are in Nashville to take on the Predators on Saturday night and they could do so without another one of their top defencemen. Jaroslav Spacek left Thursday's game against the Coyotes with a lower-body injury and his status for Saturday's game in questionable.
The Canadiens will also face a former teammate in Nashville as Francis Bouillon has settled in with his new team and is now one of their top four on the blue line.
Game time is 8 p.m. eastern

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was in Montreal and went to their game on Oct 17, against Ottawa.

Although I love the Habs, they played a so so game, and ottawa was the
better team, Kovalev was a star, fans cheered loudly for him, and Alfredsson
was the best player on the ice.

I was thrilled to attend a habs game for the first time in my life, they were
my team till the canucks were born in l970, and still have a place in my heart.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's nice to see them in 12th and out of a playoff position. It would be wonderful to see the hapless leafs pass them.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Went to the game, would have preferred sticking a lit match in my eye. Habs were aweful, the only reason it was only 2-0 is beacuase of the brilliant goal tending of Price....the other 18 were crap. No Gionta, aparently a foot injury that looks bad...not good. The preds had 55 shots the the habs 20....pathetic.

Oh well, no playoffs this year, may as well tank but unfortunately I don't think the draft is that deep this time around. At least we still have our first round pick, Boston must be giggling right now.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Metro replces ailing Gionta on top line

posted by Pat Hickey at 10h50 EST on Nov 17

Glen Metropolit's versatlility will be put to the test once as the third-line centre lines up as a right wing tonight against the Carolina Hurricanes. Metropolit replaces the injured Brian Gionta on the top line with Scott Gomez and Mike Cammalleri.
There was no word on whether defenceman Ryan O'Byrne has received medical clearance but he practiced with Mathieu Carle during the morning skate which indicates that he won;t play before the weekend.
Other lines this morning:
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Moen
Stewart-Pyatt-White

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/node/

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Our view of the so-called top line with Gionta and co., looked to us like nothing
more than blazing speed, but not enough finish, not enough strategy, and poor
defensive play, it might improve the team to change that line, each of those
players are good in their own right, but we didn't like the line, and that line had
a power play with 5 on 3, and didn't score, just kept shooting from the outside,
didn't plan any passing plays, or strategy, it looked amateur and panicky.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Price is the man....wow what performance last night. good to see AK46 get a goal even though it was sloppy and Pleks must be signed, he is showing his talent. I think this team could make the playoffs just barely if healthy but alas not this year.

No Canadian team looks good enough to contend.

Leafs lost to my other team....tied for last...Lovin it.

Boston will enjoy that pick in the me thinks....lol

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Went to the game, would have preferred sticking a lit match in my eye. Habs were aweful, the only reason it was only 2-0 is beacuase of the brilliant goal tending of Price....the other 18 were crap. No Gionta, aparently a foot injury that looks bad...not good. The preds had 55 shots the the habs 20....pathetic.

Oh well, no playoffs this year, may as well tank but unfortunately I don't think the draft is that deep this time around. At least we still have our first round pick, Boston must be giggling right now.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!

While I am not a huge Montreal fan, it would have been nice to have seen Price get the victory for that game as he certainly deserved it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Game 22: Canadiens at Capitals

posted by Dave Stubbs at 11h45 EST on Nov 20

Canadiens forward Brian Savage crowds the crease of Washington Capitals goalie Jim Carey during this 1996-97 game at the Molson Centre.
Denis Brodeur, NHLI via Getty Images
Gazette Preview | Friday's NHL Schedule | Matchups | Boone's Game Blog and About last night ... | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey's game story
• PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | O'Byrne | Spacek
• POSTGAME AUDIO: To come
Full NHL.com preview here
Last 10: Montreal 4-6-0; Washington 6-2-2

Season Series: This is the first of four meetings between the clubs this season, including two this month. They play again in Montreal on Nov. 28. The Caps won three of the four games last season, including both at Verizon Center.

Canadiens: They are coming off of a 3-2 win Tuesday. So what if it came in a shootout against the NHL's second-worst team (Carolina). The Canadiens needed a win and they got one. However, soon after it was announced that winger Brian Gionta has a broken foot and is out indefinitely. Gionta is the Canadiens' third-leading scorer with eight goals and five assists.

Capitals: The home crowd is sure to give a resounding welcome back to Alex Ovechkin, who made his return with a power-play goal Tuesday night. It was his 15th of the season and first since Oct. 30. He missed six games with an upper body strain. But the Caps aren't healthy. Two of their top-six forwards -- Alexander Semin (right wrist) and Mike Knuble (fractured finger) -- are out. Semin is day-to-day while Knuble is out 3-4 weeks. Boyd Gordon (back), Quintin Laing (broken jaw), Jurcina (groin) and Morrisonn (head) are also out.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Game 22: Habs win thriller over Capitals

posted by Dave Stubbs at 21h33 EST on Nov 20

Even on his back, Canadiens forward Travis Moen enjoyed a fine game against Washington.
Mitchell Layton, NHLI via Getty Images
Gazette Preview | Friday's NHL Schedule | Matchups | Boone's Game Blog and About last night ... | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey's game story
PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | O'Byrne | Spacek
POSTGAME AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Andrei Kostitsyn | Carey Price | Tomas Plekanec | Jacques Martin
AT A GLANCE: Washington superstar Alexander Ovechkin was pretty much a non-factor tonight. And full credit for that to the Canadiens, whose attention to Ovi was a good part of the reason for Montreal's thrilling 3-2 victory over the Capitals at the Verizon Center. A brilliant game for defencemen Jaroslav Spacek and Roman Hamrlik, forwards Travis Moen and Tomas Plekanec and, again, goalie Carey Price.

A dimmer note: forward Scott Gomez left the game in the third period for undisclosed reasons. We're bound to learn more Saturday morning.
SUMMARY: Washington's Eric Fehr scored the game's only first-period goal, cashing a 25-foot slapper past Price, despite the Habs enjoying a 14-7 edge in shots. The Canadiens tied it early in the second when Moen deflected a point shot from Roman Hamrlik past Capitals goalie Michal Neuvirth, then took the lead on Plekanec's conversion of some fine work by his linemates, Andrei Kostitsyn and Max Pacioretty. The Caps certainly turned the tide with their 11-4 shots lead, sending the teams to the dressing rooms after 40 minutes with 18 apiece. The Caps gave the Habs all they could handle, but Montreal bagged a power-play off the stick of Michael Cammalleri with about 7 1/2 minutes to play to provide a bit of breathing room. But Washington's Brendan Morrison got inside Habs coverage with two minutes and change remaining to make it 3-2 and the Habs withstood a furious Caps attack with Maxim Lapierre taking a late penalty to hold on for the win.
WHAT IT MEANS: The victory was the Canadiens' second straight, including Tuesday's 3-2 home-ice shootout win over Carolina. It was just the third victory of the year in regulation time for Montreal, which pulled back to .500 with a record of 11-11-0.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Habs returned home immediately after the game and Saturday night will entertain the Detroit Red Wings, the currently-underachieving 2009 Stanley Cup finalist, at the Bell Centre.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Game 24: Canadiens too much for Blue Jackets

posted by Kevin Mio at 20h58 EST on Nov 24

Blue Jackets' Raffi Torres is sandwiched by Canadiens' Michael Cammalleri and Josh Gorges during first period Tuesday night. Phil Carpenter, The Gazette

NHL.com Preview | Matchups | Stat pack | Boone's Game Blog and About last night ... | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey's game story
AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Glen Metropolit | Sergei Kostitsyn | Max Lapierre | Carey Price | Marc-André Bergeron | Mike Cammalleri
• At a Glance: The Canadiens scored first on Tuesday night, then allowed the Columbus Blue Jackets to take the lead, twice. Thankfully, the Canadiens had the last laugh - and the last goal - in a 5-3 win at the Bell Centre. Michael Cammalleri, Marc-André Bergeron with two, Glen Metropolit and Maxim Lapierre score for the Canadiens, who saw Carey Price make 33 saves for his seventh win of the season. Antoine Vermette beat Price twice, while Anton Stralman scored the other Blue Jackets goal. Two Columbus goals were scored on the power play. Former Canadien Mathieu Garon surrendered the five goals on 29 shots.
• Key Moments: Trailing 3-2 and enjoying a power play to start the third period, the Canadiens scored only 21 seconds after the power play to tie the game and scored the game winner two minutes later as the Blue Jackets began to fade in the third period.
• What It Means: The Canadiens won for only the fourth time in regulation this season, and improve to 12-11-1 on the season.
• What's Next: The Canadiens leave right after the game for Pittsburgh where they take on the Penguins on Wednesday night. After that game, the Habs wrap up November with a home date against the Capitals on Saturday.

Considering they have many key injuries this win was amazing.:cool:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Game 27: Canadiens vs. Leafs

posted by Kevin Mio at 11h55 EST on Dec 1

Maple Leafs' Luke Schenn battles with Canadiens' Mike Cammallari during season opener on Nov. 1. Claus Andersen/Getty Images
Gazette Preview | Matchups | Tuesday's NHL schedule | Boone's Game Blog and About last night ... | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey's game story
The Canadiens welcome the rival Maple Leafs to the Bell Centre on Tuesday night, and the team will also welcome back some of their injured players. Scott Gomez and Matt D'Agostini will return to action against the Leafs, and Hal Gill has resume skating with the team and should be back later this week.
Former Hab Mike Komisarek will be playing in his second game after himself returning from injury. The Leafs played Monday night and were shut out 3-0 by the Buffalo Sabres.
Carey Price will start his ninth straight game for the Canadiens, who will look to bounce back from a 4-3 shootout loss to the Washington Capitals on Saturday night.
Game time is 7 p.m.

Go Habs Go!:canada:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Just got back from Montreal, attended the centennial celebration on Friday at the Bell Center....I could have died a happy man that night...perfect celebration...perfect game.:cool:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Guess who's the hottest Olympic goalie?

Jaro Halak made 21 saves as Slovakia beat Latvia 6-0.
It was Jaro's first shutout for Slovakia since April 28, 2007 in IIHF world championship, that one a 24-save, 3-0 preliinary-round round win over Norway.
Jaro lowered his Olympic tournament GAA to 1.30. His save percentage is 95.1.
Alan Walsh is running out of decimal places on his calculator.
• • •
Guess who's the leading Olympic scorer?
Sergei Kostitsyn had a goal and three assists in Belarus's 5-3 win over Germany. His five points in three games lead the tournament, pending today's action.
• • •
In other Olympic news, Mikhail Grabovski was arrested after a street fight in the wee hours of Saturday morning and spent the night in the slammer.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/node/

HIO

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Guess who's the hottest Olympic goalie?

Jaro Halak made 21 saves as Slovakia beat Latvia 6-0.
It was Jaro's first shutout for Slovakia since April 28, 2007 in IIHF world championship, that one a 24-save, 3-0 preliinary-round round win over Norway.
Jaro lowered his Olympic tournament GAA to 1.30. His save percentage is 95.1.
Alan Walsh is running out of decimal places on his calculator.
--------------------------------------
Slovakia is playing great, their biggest win was against
the chezchs, that's for sure, and I'm so impressed with
dimetra's play, and wondering if that will continue when
he returns to canucks, didn't see it till now.
• • •
Guess who's the leading Olympic scorer?
Sergei Kostitsyn had a goal and three assists in Belarus's 5-3 win over Germany. His five points in three games lead the tournament, pending today's action.
-----------------------------------------
they have played more games than the teams who are playing
today, have to wait till round robin is over, those stats
will change.
• • •
In other Olympic news, Mikhail Grabovski was arrested after a street fight in the wee hours of Saturday morning and spent the night in the slammer.
-----------------------------------------
I heard that on the olympic news, didn't know what he did till now,
how undisciplined, wonder if he could have avoided it, or
if he was defending himself.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
watched habs/philly last night at dinner in vancouver,we were in the 'shark club', just two blocks from game, (THEN WENT TO CANUCK GAME), and I kept checking
jumbo tron for score updates, was excited when it was tied, then dissapointed at final outcome.

i always cheer for the habs, my old favourite team, before canucks.