World Series

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Oh for crying out loud Gopher. It ain't God's, it's Wall Street's favorite.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
LOL! Minnesota Twins' owner Carl Pohlad is twice as wealthy as George Steinbrenner. He refuses to spend money on free agents and then demands that the taxpayers subsidize him by building a new stadium at taxpayer expense!

Corporate welfare at its worse!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Baseball (the rules of which go way over my head, though it looks uncanilly like rounders, a sport that only schoolgirls in Britain play) is on Channel 5 in Britain in the early hours of the morning. So people tend to have it on if they are suffering from insomnia as it's a perfect cure.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Matsui really deserves that MVP. What a great performance that was. It's really something to watch those Japanese players who seem to know better than the North American players when to swing for the fence, and when to just place the ball ( which takes quite a bit of skill to do). Matsui's hit in the bottom of the third is a perfect example, contrasted against the pitch he put in the second deck. When I was playing ball, Paul Molitor was one of my idols. I tried very hard to emulate his style of batting. Learned to switch hit and had a pretty good inside-out swing by the time I was 12!

It's hard to cheer for the Yankees organization. I 'll cheer for the New York fans and for Matsui and the Japanese baseball fans. I was pulling for the Phillies, but that team also has a pretty stacked line-up and will probably be doing as well next year.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Baseball (the rules of which go way over my head, though it looks uncanilly like rounders, a sport that only schoolgirls in Britain play) is on Channel 5 in Britain in the early hours of the morning. So people tend to have it on if they are suffering from insomnia as it's a perfect cure.

It's like cricket without the corny wickets.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If anyone watches almost any sport without knowing 'the rules' and 'the strategies',
it isn't very enjoyable, (maybe tiddley winks).;-) Baseball is a great game, full of strategies that run very
deep, and the talent now is better than ever in the past, some of the plays that
are made, seem so easy, but are not, I have great respect for the
years of training and hard work those players have spent on their craft, and it
is a pleasure to watch them perform.
It's also good to see how many canadians are making their mark in the big
leagues, more and more all the time.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I don't think you pommy bastards have alot to say. You guys play cricket...and stop in the middle of the game to have tea.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't think you pommy bastards have alot to say. You guys play cricket...and stop in the middle of the game to have tea.

He might not be aware of the intricacies of the game. For example, there is one guy who crouches and points to his privates. This makes the pitcher really excited and more likely to create hard balls. In turn, the man nearest to the lewd-gesturing croucher will try to remove his balls outside of the park. It is all closely observed by an umpire who tells them if it is done safely.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That is a very difficult skill. Precision is required for a swinger to thrust forward and connect with the ball.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Goopher...a guy from Minnesota is a NY Yankees fan. Of course he is.

Just another guy on the bandwagon.

This is where I agree with the Canadians...

YANKEES SUCK!