Sven gets job at world's oldest football club in city with 6 women to every man

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Former England manager, and ladies' man, Sven Goran Eriksson has returned to England to work at the world's oldest professional football club: Notts County.

The Nottingham team have employed Sven as their new Director of Football.

Nottingham's population consists of six women to every man, which suits Sven well!

Sven was manager of England between 2001 and 2007, manager of Manchester City between 2007 and 2008 and manager of Mexico between 2008 and 2009.

Notts County are the world's oldest professional football club, but do not enjoy the same success that their same-city rivals Nottingham Forest used to have.

Notts County, whose stadium is called Meadow Lane, have never won the league, though they finished third, their highest ever finish, in 1891.

Their only FA Cup win was in 1894, when they beat Bolton Wanderers 4-1 in the Final.

They were last in the top flight in 1992, when it was the old First Division.

Notts County now languish in League Two, which consists of teams such as Shrewsbury, Bournemouth and Rotherham, and is the bottom tier of the English league which consists of 92 teams.

In contrast, Nottingham Forest were English Champions in 1978 and won the European Cup in 1979 and 1980.

Notts County are the world's oldest professional football club, founded in 1862 though the world's oldest club of all is Sheffield FC, an amateur side.

Notts County play in black and white stripes, and also inspired Italian giants Juventus to play in those colours.

And, I think ladies' man Sven will enjoy life in Nottingham.

Nottingham's population actually consists of six women to every man!

Nottingham girls are famously pretty - with many descended from those drawn from far and wide to work in its historic lace industry.

The city is Britain's seventh largest, and was once called Snottingham.

COUNTY CHIEF ... new director of football Sven Goran Eriksson at Press conference

Sven: I'll fly high with Magpies

The Sun
22nd July 2009

SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON has set his sights on taking Notts County all the way to the Premier League.

The ex-England boss was unveiled as director of football at the League Two Magpies today after signing a five-year contract.

But the Swede, who guided England to two World Cup quarter-finals in 2002 and 2006, does not want to hang around in the bottom tier for long.

Eriksson said: "I always said I wanted to come back to the Premier League.

"I chose a little bit of a difficult way to do it I think. It will take a few years, but I think we will do it.

"I think it's the biggest football challenge of my life, trying to take Notts County back to the Premier League, but that's the target.

"The challenge is perhaps the most difficult football job I've had so far. But I am looking forward to it."

Should County reach the Premier League within four years, 61-year-old Eriksson would be eligible for a bus pass.

And he admits he was at first unsure about joining the Magpies.

He said: "When my agent asked me if I would be interested in Notts County I said, 'I am not sure about that'!

"But after listening to the people and seeing the project that they had, I said, 'Yes'."

Eriksson will work alongside current coach Ian McParland and his key responsibilities will include building a scouting network and setting up overseas links.

The Swede said: "We have together to try to find good players if we want to leave League Two.

"We have to have good football players. Without good football players you can't reach the League One or the Championship."

Despite being taken over by a Middle Eastern group Munto Finance, Eriksson said the club would continue to be sensible with their money.

He added: "When this news about me joining came out my phone was hot all the time.

"People all over the place are asking how much we can pay for players.

"You can't pay Premier League salaries to players in League Two. We all know that we have to be sensible.

"Players and a training ground are the key."

Eriksson attempted to deflect questions he had joined the unfancied club for financial reasons.

Asked why County fans should believe he would stay at the club for the duration of his five-year deal, he said: "I signed a contract first of all.

"Secondly, if it was for the money I could have easily gone elsewhere for much, much more money.

"I'm not here for money, I am here for the challenge.

"I'm not here for the weather, or if the city is nice or not. If that was the case then I could have gone to Italy.

"I'm here for the big challenge and that's the truth."

Romeo Eriksson to boss Notts County

Girls night out ... Nottingham has a ratio of six women to every man

Where he'll play away

Barnet

Ex-love ... Nancy

EARLY chance to revisit his old pulling haunts in London, and look up former flame Nancy Dell'Olio.

Could also visit TV glamour girl Ulrika to share a plate of his favourite meatballs - just like they used to.

Rotherham

Sex store ... Rotherham

THE rugged South Yorkshire mill town is not exactly renowned for its girls, but it does have Europe's biggest sex shop, Pulse and Cocktails (motto: Couples who play together, stay together).

Just might come in handy, Sven.

Bournemouth

OAPs ... Bournemouth

THE resort's bikini-clad beauties may be long gone when Sven rolls up, but the Silver Fox could bag an early Christmas present with one of the merry widows who've retired there.

At least they'll be nearer his age.

Dagenham

Essex girl ... Jodie

RANDY Sven could do far worse than an Essex girl, like model Jodie Marsh.

Romford, a short bus ride from the Daggers' ground, is awash with game girls dancing round their handbags on a Saturday night.

By NICK FRANCIS
and PAUL JIGGINS

ROMEO Sven Goran Eriksson is making a sensational return to English soccer - in a city with a reputed SIX women to every man.

The playboy former England boss is the new director of football at lowly League Two side Notts County.

Sven, who played away with fellow Swede Ulrika Jonsson and FA aide Faria Alam, has worked in such romantic cities as Rome, Lisbon, Florence and London.

But Nottingham has a lot to offer the 61-year-old.

Here's our guide to its attractions, and we don't just mean girls, Sven.

Swede ... Ulrika Jonsson

SVEN will find it hard NOT to score in Nottingham - rated by a dating website as one of Britain's best places to find eligible totty.

But he faces tough competition as its reputation has also turned it into the country's top destination for stag parties.

Old flame ... Faria Alam

If he's on form, Sven could maybe bag a beauty like actress Samantha Morton, who hails from the city.

Nottingham girls are famously pretty - with many descended from those drawn from far and wide to work in its historic lace industry.

Notts bad, eh? ... Sven looks forward to living in UK again

For post-match fun, Sven will find the nightclubs very raunchy but a far cry from many of London's celeb-infested haunts.

A good place to start is the city centre venue Rock City, which has two-for-one drinks every Thursday.

Then there's Tantra, which supplies romantic revellers with vast beds to lounge on.

Back of the net!

For an added bonus, Nottingham is groaning under the weight of student totty - mainly because its universities offer some of the country's best nursing courses.

As for the boozers, the nearest to Notts County's 20,000-capacity Meadow Lane is The Globe.

It serves a cracking pie and pint, but isn't famed for its lady folk.

Not to worry, Sven. A ten-minute walk from the ground takes you to Hooters, a bar and grill staffed by scantily-clad girls.

Fresh fields ... Meadow Lane

Sven, who's partial to a cocktail and sushi, is more likely to be offered a pint of Rock Bitter or Rock Mild made at the famous Nottingham Brewery.

Locals often down it with a large bread roll called a cob.

The ever-sartorial Swede will be pleased to know top designer Paul Smith is from Nottingham, and has his flagship store there.

But the city wouldn't be the only new playground for Sven should he join County, who were recently taken over by a big-money Middle Eastern consortium.

He'll visit plenty of interesting places during the club's League Two fixtures.

So on the right is our guide to what to do when it comes to playing away - at Barnet (August 29), Rotherham (October 17), Bournemouth (December 19) and Dagenham & Redbridge (January 2).

thesun.co.uk

Last edited: