CFL 50 Years And NFL's Bush League

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
CFL pre-season games start today and we will see what the NFL calls the wimp league.

If the CFL football player is really good the NFL takes them and if a football NFL football player is bad then the CFL takes them.

The CFL was formed in 1958 and were previously known as the Canadian Rugby Football, which was led by the Canadian Rugby Union. They amalgamated the amateur football clubs in the late 1800s.

Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton and Ottawa or the big four belonged to the IRFU

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg belonged to the WIFU

In 1956 they had a power struggle and dissolved the club and formed the CFL two years later.

It’s a shame that the CFL was reduced to a bush league status and is in danger of losing it to the NFL.

CFL had a good ride and since they don’t have the energy to go on the CFL will just fade away like the many Canadian sports leagues of past.

Let’s all raise a glass to the CFL celebration of their 50th anniversary.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'll toast the CFL.

The Toronto Argonauts were a rowing squad that joined the Canadian Rugby Union. They are the oldest professional sports team in North America.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Mr Pessimism. The CFL has different rules from the NFL, so it's not quite the same. The NFL does have better athletes overall, no doubt. But to call the CFL a bush league is quite harsh. It is exciting.

Europe has many soccer leagues and to call anything not German, English, Spanish, or Italian soccer bush league seems unreasonable. That said, the CFL has done a brutal job running the league for many years. Too many wannbe NFLers are in the league, or used to be since expansion to the US is now quite dead. Years ago when a cousing wanted to buy a Hamilton Tiger Cats cap he couldn't find one in Vancouver. A little embarrassing.

The choice is no Canadian football at all because Canada is not likely to ever get more than one NFL franchise, if we do it may be in Toronto and I hope that never happens. I find when a CFL or NFL game is on TV at the same time I watch the CFL game because it is more exciting.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Reduced to a bush league status? It's practically the same league it has been for 50 years. The difference between the NFL and CFL is money. Anyone who has played in both leagues respect them both.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would like to see someone step up and run a CFL thread, like I did with the NHL,
I am interested in the CFL, but would like to read opinions of games etc., so I can
pick up tips and learn more about our Lions and the rest of the CFL.
I know lots of the rules, but there are some that go right over my head, I want to
learn more.
It's a great game.

This game is on 1040 radio, but I don't think it's on tv.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
People often compare the two leagues. They are very different. The CFL has it's roots in the Canadian Rugby Union and it still uses parts of it in the rules, i.e. the rouge (single point) for kicking a ball into the end zone. The NFL is a newer league and different game. That's why it's called American football and ours isn't.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I listened to a quarter back the other day, who is now with the b.c.lions, and he
said, for a quarter back, the cfl game is more fun, because the quarter back has
more choices, and more to do, if he wants, whereas the nfl quarter back is very
limited in choices.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm a football fan. As such I see things to admire in both leagues/rulesets. My origins are more CFL oriented so I tend to favour some of the CFL rules (especially around the kicking game and clock management) but I definately agree that talking about the NFL and CFL head to head is like comparing baseball to cricket. Enjoy each on their own merits because while the actions are the same, the rules ensure the games themselves are not.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Anyone who has played in both leagues respect them both.

Ricky Williams, Jim Zorn, Vince Ferragamo...there is a pretty impressive list of good NFLers that came north and were incredibly underwhelming to watch. The games are different. I enjoy them both for different reasons. I always find the either/or attitude amusing. I like the NHL and am a seasons ticket holder with the Medicine Hat Tigers. I don't find either the NHL or the WHL "better" than the other. They are different products.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
In my personal TV watching of sports, I have CFL as number 2 come to think of it. Call me bush league is you want. I know what I like.

1. NHL (obviously, Canucks)
2. CFL
3. NFL
4. Major League Baseball
5. SOCCER/NBA
6. Other sports like volleyball, field hockey, or track and field

HIgh exceptions are any Canadian sports team/individual, Usain Bolt, or the Olympics.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That's right Cannuck. Also Dexter Manley and Mark Gastineau.

Wulfie, I totally agree about time management.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If it is a CANADIAN League, let ALL player be Canadians. NO NFL REJECTS!!

On the other hand, if it wants to be credible, remove the restrictions on nationality. Just get the best players, and be the best.

As it is, the CFL is the biggest abuser of affirmative action. Sadly, legally.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've tried watching basketball on tv, and live. I just don't find it interesting. What's odd is that I talked to a friend of mine, who is a sports junkie and hockey goalie, and he has never found basketball to be interesting either.

I enjoy good hockey, live and on tv, and watch the occasional football game, but the only time I watch baseball is when I can't sleep. Something about the pace of the game and the commentary just puts me to sleep.

Football is best enjoyed live, I think. I remember seeing the first CFL exhibition game played in the Maritimes - it was fun.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I listened to a quarter back the other day, who is now with the b.c.lions, and he
said, for a quarter back, the cfl game is more fun, because the quarter back has
more choices, and more to do, if he wants, whereas the nfl quarter back is very
limited in choices.

You are probably right. In fact you are right.

The QB has more choices and more to do because the CFL Defenses have less speed and ability.

Doug Flutie was probably the greatest CFL QB ever. He was one of the best NCAA college QB's and won the Heisman. He was a pretty good NFL QB but he could never get away with the stuff he did in college and the CFL.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I've tried watching basketball on tv, and live. I just don't find it interesting. What's odd is that I talked to a friend of mine, who is a sports junkie and hockey goalie, and he has never found basketball to be interesting either.

Ugh... I'd rather have root canal proceedures than watch basketball.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If it is a CANADIAN League, let ALL player be Canadians. NO NFL REJECTS!!

On the other hand, if it wants to be credible, remove the restrictions on nationality. Just get the best players, and be the best.

As it is, the CFL is the biggest abuser of affirmative action. Sadly, legally.
They did that when they expanded to the US for all the US teams. Didn't make much difference to the end product. The restrictions help promote the Canadian University football system.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The QB system in the NFL is more structured. Expanded timeclock. Watch Peyton Manning, he practically tells every player on the line what their assignment is before the ball is snapped. The CFL is much more loose.

The CFL is haven for tweeners. Guys that are too small for the defensive line and too big for linebacker in the NFL make the line in the CFL. Wouldn't be a place for them in the NFL because of size but that doesn't mean they aren't great talents. Also, a bigger field makes it more advantageous to be smaller.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The QB system in the NFL is more structured. Expanded timeclock. Watch Peyton Manning, he practically tells every player on the line what their assignment is before the ball is snapped. The CFL is much more loose.

NFL QB's are like the King Tiger tank. They are the expensive heavy hitter that NEEDS to be protected at all costs. NFL teams cannot have their starting QB scrambling all over the field because the opposing defences are just too fast and strong.

The CFL is haven for tweeners. Guys that are too small for the defensive line and too big for linebacker in the NFL make the line in the CFL. Wouldn't be a place for them in the NFL because of size but that doesn't mean they aren't great talents. Also, a bigger field makes it more advantageous to be smaller.

Anyone who plays at the CFL level has great talent. Just because it is the CFL doesn't mean it is less exciting. I can tell you that I believe College Football is far more exciting. Michael Vick was probably the most exciting college QB I ever saw. In the NFL he was just a decent QB.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't disagree, but if the NFL field was bigger the QB would probably be a more mobile position. Guys like Gastineau and Manley were average at best at a QB rush in the CFL.